The ECM discs these days tend to bring angst. much too often

Hey, you should listen to "Bohren & Der Club of Gore."

That'll get 'ya. :g

From some dude on Amazon.com:

"From the first cymbal splash to the last echo of falling raindrops, Bohren will have your heart inside of a David Lynch late night bar, smoking heavily as you watch the foreign temptress on stage try to seduce you..The atmospherics are heavy and bleak on this bands sound, however this is contradicted by the minimalistic, lush playing of the trio, offering a musical paradox in a way, the beauty of darkness...The sound does become a little repetivive and gimmicky when the formula is blatantly repeated a few times throughout, but for the most part you will be too immersed in the noir feel of it all to even notice..Perfect for stormy nights of quiet desperation.."

[basically, sic]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was being a bit harsh, but had to do, I guess, with the Sco vs. ECM comparison (I know, I know, he's on ECM, too, now... but it's DeJohnette actually who was the leader, I think).

Anyway, I really, really enjoyed a recent (2006, spring, I think) live broadcast of Sco's Ray Charles programme - must be the one thing of his that immediately connected to me. Bluesy, basic stuff. And I never wanted to really put him down, I am sure he's a very able musician, to say the least - it's just not that I can connect to most of his stuff that easily (and I'm used to connecting with lots of "difficult" things, see funny rat...)

A minor point, but the Trio Beyond isn't the first time Sco's been on ECM. He's played on three Marc Johnson recordings for ECM as well. (edit - he was also on Steve Swallow's "Swallow", if that counts as an ECM date).

I saw the Ray Charles project live, and it was a very solid show. As you said, bluesy and basic.

Edited by Aggie87

Guest the mommy

he was also on a paul bley date, wasn't he? and he was on a peter warren date which will probably never be on CD.

scofield brought an air of "cheesy jiveness" to one of bley's 80s quartets.

The only Bley I'm aware of with Scofield is "Hot", which is on Soul Note. I like it.

I don't have Warren's "Solidarity", but according to allmusic, it's on "Japo".

edit - I guess that qualifies as an ECM recording though, as much as an Xtra Watt release.

Edited by Aggie87

It seems to go on and on...

all this after criticizing the recent ECM catalogue!

All I had in mind was to dissent with ECM's tendency to the pretentious!

Look at covers of recent ECM albums:

E1994g.jpegE1977_g.jpegE1978g.jpeg

Pretentious might no be the exactly appropriate word but it's cold and arty (in its worst meaning)!

I posted the cover of a BN Jimmy Smith album with its living colors for a contrast.

The ECM discs these days tend to bring angst. much too often

Yes, I long for the joie de vivre that exploded from the cover and music of so many albums not too long ago.

There is enough angst in real life to avoid it in music! Or at least keep it as low as possible!

Now I'll go back to that 'Afternoon of a Georgia Faun' LP, one of several ECM albums I continue to enjoy!

See where you live in France its looks cold but up here in the grim north those pictures look kind of tropical and warm from where I am sat (brr!)

scofield brought an air of "cheesy jiveness" to one of bley's 80s quartets.

As much as I respect Scofield, that's still funny to me...

Another issue (and tied to the whole "ME just records people he likes" thing) is that the patented "ECM sound" is by no means restricted to ECM albums, although artists who have appeared on the roster tend to carry that sensibility with them. One example is Kenny Wheeler, who--despite some extraordinary associations (the BoB/BN family, Braxton, the UK and Euro free improv crowds) and occasional tendency toward experimentalism (including certain ECM albums)--veers toward "cool, light, and airy" unnervingly often--and this, off the ECM label. ECM production values do not a "boring, pretentious" album make (as, for example, Tribute to Lester shows)--they can only affect sounds--i.e., we find ourselves (often) faulting the label for what may arguably be shouldered on the artist.

Guest the mommy

you guys don't see chewy chew chew chews passion.

he is exploring the wonderful world of the jazz chronologically. he has not yet reached ECM territory.

he is still in the 60s and sometimes yo-yoing back to the 50s.

give him time. as he marches through history he will land in this nordic world which sparks your evocations of the cold wastelands of the laplanders.