T Bone Walker

kh1958

I have the Mosaic set, which covers 1940-1954.

I am wondering what are the best post-1954 recordings of T Bone Walker.

I'm asking because yesterday I found an old Prestige Jimmy Witherspoon LP, Evenin' Blues, which to my surprise features T Bone Walker on guitar (also Clifford Scott on saxophone). This is an excellent LP, and T Bone sounds great.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other outstanding later T Bone Walker recordings.

Yes - all of those. And another I like a lot is "The truth" which was originally recorded for a Texas label, Jet Stream, but wound up being issued on Brunswick in the late '60s. It's a funny kind of LP, with some tracks being chopped up and used elsewhere, but T-Bone and the band are in fine form and, unusually, there's a nice trombonist in the band. I think (but haven't tried comparing them back to back) some of these tracks were on the CD "Rare & well done" - Home Cookin' (Blue Moon in Europe).

There is also a Bluesway LP that I haven't got called "Funky town" and one on Polydor which I think was produced by Bob Koester (or maybe has simply been reissued on Delmark) which I also mean to get round to one day.

MG

... and one on Polydor which I think was produced by Bob Koester (or maybe has simply been reissued on Delmark) which I also mean to get round to one day.

MG

If you're referring to T-Bone Walker: I Want A Little Girl

633.gif

It was originally a Black&Blue recording made in France. It has Hal Singer on tenor and George Arvanitas on piano and organ. In the French reissue (Feelin' The Blues) there are a few extra tracks with Jay McShann and Eddie Cleanhad Vinson.

g05430arnrp.jpg

This one I like a lot. T-Bone also plays piano on one tune.

F

... and one on Polydor which I think was produced by Bob Koester (or maybe has simply been reissued on Delmark) which I also mean to get round to one day.

MG

633.gif

It was originally a Black&Blue recording made in France. It has Hal Singer on tenor and George Arvanitas on piano and organ. In the French reissue (Feelin' The Blues) there are a few extra tracks with Jay McShann and Eddie Cleanhad Vinson.

g05430arnrp.jpg

F

I've got that Black & Blue reissue, and its definitely a good 'un. :tup

Filmed by the BBC for 'Jazz 625' at Kilburn. Wasn't that the night of the infamous Dizzy-Val Wilmer incident?

You're probably right! Don't recall a date for the incident but it happened after a T-Bone Walker appearance.

Will relisten to this with a new perspective!

Another vote for T-Bone Blues on Atlantic. I also quite like his two albums on Bluesway (I think the 'miniskirt'-song J Sangrey was referring to is on one of these):

6946.jpg

and

14324.jpg

T-Bone Blues is a killer record. On of favorite blues lps in my collection. I'd love to be able to pick up the Bluesways. Are they available anywhere? Have the ever been reissued?

MG

633.gif

g05430arnrp.jpg

F

OK, well I also remember a European Polydor LP floating around in the '60s.

MG

Another vote for T-Bone Blues on Atlantic. I also quite like his two albums on Bluesway (I think the 'miniskirt'-song J Sangrey was referring to is on one of these):

6946.jpg

and

14324.jpg

T-Bone Blues is a killer record. On of favorite blues lps in my collection. I'd love to be able to pick up the Bluesways. Are they available anywhere? Have the ever been reissued?

They are available on amazon.com (I just ordered both).

• 15 years later...