Wynton and Women article

You have been working on this since last summer?

Then I suggest you hire an editor or try to proof read some time. There are too many typos to count.

Number two, you are hung up on this word "hermaphodite" because it fits into your gender thesis when the fact is that Wynton's point is something entirely different:

Fusion, jazz-rock, is STERILE, like a hermaphrodite. He isn't speaking of anything but STERILITY.

Sterile, as in nothing can come after it because it can't produce anything.

Try replacing "hermaphrodite" with "sterile" everywhere it appears aside from the initial quote, and see what you've got:

Nothing.

Interesting analysis. Apart from the content of this particular line of thought, I think that it is representative of Wynton's tendency to take small bits of information or opinion, and blow them up into widespread generalizations about music and life, far beyond anything that the original small bits can support.

If not for his status with the national media, it would be an odd little quirk, buried in passages in things nobody pays a lot of attention to, like CD liner notes and jazz magazine articles.

Interesting analysis. Apart from the content of this particular line of thought, I think that it is representative of Wynton's tendency to take small bits of information or opinion, and blow them up into widespread generalizations about music and life, far beyond anything that the original small bits can support.

If not for his status with the national media, it would be an odd little quirk, buried in passages in things nobody pays a lot of attention to, like CD liner notes and jazz magazine articles.

Yeah, I agree with that - wholeheartedly. Generally - Thanks for the positive response, guys.

Simon Weil

I at least got a good chuckle out of the thread, but I have to say (and no offense meant Simon) the article did nothing for me, and I wondered why it was written and "published!" Just seemed . . . missable. No point in it being out there. (Like lots of stuff on AAJ, to me). Unless one just has to pound on Wynton some more because one hasn't yet done it enough.

Edited by jazzbo

I at least got a good chuckle out of the thread, but I have to say (and no offense meant Simon) the article did nothing for me, and I wondered why it was written and "published!" Just seemed . . . missable. No point in it being out there. (Like lots of stuff on AAJ, to me). Unless one just has to pound on Wynton some more because one hasn't yet done it enough.

Well, the original intent was to help women in Jazz. Because I know a lot about Wynton, I took that route - feeling that, as a symbol, he articulated a lot of what is wrong with women's treatment in Jazz. If I had wanted to pound Wynton, there are quotes I could have have used and didn't (and won't use now).

Purely destructive quotes.

Simon Weil