Hank Mobley--Reach Out

Morganized

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its probably a completist purchase mostly. I do like the album overall, but the two pop covers get pretty monotonous. But the rest is pretty solid. It sounds like you can safely pass it by, though, doncha know, eventually it will be going for $400 on ebay? :D

Well worth picking up cheap. Two of the cuts are pretty weak, but the other four are fairly strong. I think I paid like $10 or $12 for mine, and I'm sure I'd do the same again today, knowing what I know now about the album (meaning, having heard it a couple dozen times before).

Depends on how cheap, or course, but anything less than $12 - and I'd grab it.

It's got Woody Shaw on it, so how can you NOT get it????

Frankly, I like the good parts of "Reach Out" (which are about 65% of the album), as much as anything on "Thinking of Home".

I'd probably give "Reach Out" 2.5 stars (out of 5), and "Thinking of Home" 3 stars.

It's a decent (if not "incredible") album, and well worth it if you're already much of a fan of Woody Shaw. Woody plays well on it, I think.

Oh hell, if it's CHEAP, get it. Just don't expect anything "great".

If you're curious enough to ask, you probably owe it to yourself to hear it at least once, so get it. But only if it's cheap. Not every side we buy has to be a masterpiece or even close to it. I had/have it on LP. and finally got a CD when I found one cheap. Some things are worth hearing just because. So get it.

But only if it's cheap...

I just bought a sealed original vinyl copy a week ago. What a kick letting the LP see the light of day after 30 years of imprisonment. That being said, is that a rock beat I heard on a song or two? Also, Shaw's trumpet is so far back in the mix that it sounds like a kazoo(what a waste and not what I'm used to hearing on '60's BN's). Weird recording/mastering. I hope the LP enjoyed it's 40 minutes of freedom, cus it's back inside the jacket for another 30 years.

Edited by wolff

I just bought a sealed original vinyl copy a week ago.   What a kick letting the LP see the light of day after 30 years of imprisonment.  That being said, is that a rock beat I heard on a song or two? Also, Shaw's trumpet is so far back in the mix that it sounds like a kazoo(what a waste and not what I'm used to hearing on '60's BN's).  Weird recording/mastering.  I hope the LP enjoyed it's 40 minutes of freedom, cus it's back inside the jacket for another 30 years.

wolff - have you tried giving this LP a good clean-up with anti-static treatment? I had a similar experience a while back with a mint, sealed copy of 'Introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band' - a Liberty LP of similar vintage. The first playback was lousy, with poor soundstage, almost 2-dimensional and very poor definition. There was very noticeable improvement after treating the LP - could be worth a try... B)

'Reach Out' is a session that I quite enjoy - almost a period piece of its time and with at least 4 tracks that really cook. I even like the title track, if I'm in an MOR, BBC Radio 2, pass me the zimmer frame sort of mood .... :D

Edited by sidewinder

That nice little solo Mobley puts over on "I think I'm going out of my head (over you")....Man, I LIKE that!!!! The phrasing, the maturity. He really puts some heart into that. Give Mobley a nice melody, no matter how trite it seems 35 years after the fact, and he MILKS it! :D

Edited by Soul Stream

Very lyrical - Mobley always could create silk purses out of sows ears, so to speak. That slow/medium tempo on this track was always his major forte.

As for the tune - very groovy, VERY Austin Powers .... :rsmile:

Fave track - overwhelmingly 'Good Pickin's'. Great chart by Hank and nice work on this one from George before the ballistic Shaw interjection.

Edited by sidewinder

Guest ariceffron

you are an idiot. this album rules. the hard bop songs on it are late period hank classics, and one of them he even coverers on his late 60s euro tour- i have a bootleg of it. you guys are all crazy