Upcoming Andrew Hill live album for BN

Guy Berger

I just returned home from Andrew's Hill's afternoon concert today at Trinity Church in Manhattan. It was beautiful...with John Hebert on bass, and Eric McPherson on drums, playing a new Suite called "Before I", which lasted about 40 minutes. Andrew's very weak and frail these days, and the concert started a bit tentatively(due partly to the fact that he forgot to bring the music and left it at home), but after a few minutes he seemed to gain strength, and if I closed my eyes, wouldn't have guessed that his physical condition is so fragile. John and Eric are arguably the most sympathetic rhythm section he's ever had, and they complemented his music perfectly. After the suite, they played another couple of recent tunes, and ended the concert with "I Should Care" - 1 drawn out and sensuous chorus. The concert was attended by about 500 people, who gave him a long standing ovation at the end. He has 2 dates booked in the studio, one later this month, and another the first week of May, to record the trio. Please think positive thoughts for this great man who has touched so many of us......

I was there too, Frank. I can't add anything to your great description of this wonderful concert.

I too, was a little upset at how thin and frail he looks, but I was prepared for it, given what I have been hearing about his health, but as you said, the music did not seem to suffer from his physical condition... and that's the good part.

Holy cow - you can watch/listen to today's concert here:

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/calendar/...?event_id=39988

Still available, after the fact!! Check it out, people. :cool:

Yes indeed! Thanks for the tip; here's another: right-click while holding your pointer over the video screen.

EDIT: Just realized that the "save as QuickTime movie" feature that I'm referring to is part of a Windows Media plug-in for Mac called "Flip4 Mac WMV." I'm not sure if this feature is available otherwise, but it's sure worth checking out.

Edited by Frankie Machine