A Long Lost Session

garthsj

Jim Harrod posted this notice on the West Coast Jazz list yesterday. It sounds very promising, and gives yet another reason to be thankful to the European reissue labels for having the foresight to make music like this available.

It's not every day that we are treated to a previously unreleased session from the 1950s, but a recent email from Bob Zieff informed me that Jack Nimitz has made arrangements with Fresh Sound to release the following ABC-Paramount session that has never been issued:

THE ABC-PARAMOUNT HARRIS - NIMITZ SESSIONS

All arrangements by Robert Zieff

First session:

Jack Nimitz, baritone sax; Bill Harris, trombone; Gene Orloff, 1st violin; Dick Wetmore, 2nd violin; Lucien Schmidt, Seymour Barab, and Alan Shulman, cellos; Chuck Wayne, guitar; Russ Saunders (Savakus), bass; Teddy Sommer, drums.

Second session:

Jack Nimitz, baritone sax; Bill Harris, trombone; Gene Orloff, 1st violin; Dick Wetmore, 2nd violin; Lucien Schmidt, Seymour Barab, and Alan Shulman, cellos; Jimmy Raney, guitar; Russ Saunders (Savakus), bass; Sol Gubin, drums.

Third session:

Jack Nimitz, baritone sax; Bill Harris, trombone; Gene Orloff, 1st violin; Harry Lookofsky, 2nd violin; George Koutzen, Harvey Shapiro, and George Ricci, cellos; Kenny Burrell, guitar; Oscar Pettiford, bass; Don Lamond, drums.

1. LEAN ON ME 3:58

2. A HANDFUL OF STARS 2:20

3. SHINE 3:41

4. AUTUMN NOCTURNE 3:09

5. LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY 3:57

6. SOMEBODY LOVES ME 3:14

7. THE LOVE NEST 5:30

8. SOFTLY, AS IN A MORNING SUNRISE 3:58

9. YOU AND THE NIGHT AND THE MUSIC 4:58

The session was most likely the victim of changing A&R heads at ABC Paramount. The session is mentioned in the August 8, 1957 issue of Down Beat on page 8 -- "Bob Zieff scored all the tunes for a Jack Nimitz-Bill Harris set on ABC-Paramount with two violins, three cellos, Oscar Pettiford, Don Lamond, and guitarists Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Raney, and Kenny Burrell on the dates..."

I am a great fan of Zieff's writing and wish that he had remained longer on the jazz scene, or perhaps it is the other way around, that the jazz scene that appreciated his writing had remained longer. Chet appreciated his writing and in particular recorded SAD WALK several times in his brief career.

Jim

I'm there. What a strange album this might be. I'm reminded of a non-existent album that I "listened to" in a dream as an adolescent -- the frontline consisted of Jack Teagarden and Paul Desmond, with the former stating and embelishing the melodies of standards (e.g. "Stars Fell on Alabama") in relatively slow motion, while the latter circled around him.

This was supposed to be issued by Uptown about 10 years ago. Uptown was in the process of licensing it from Universal when their legal department stopped it because they had a label called Uptown. They said we'd have to change the name of the label.

I think there was a worthy bonus track too - not sure if it was an alt or another tune.

Nimitz had an acetate reference disc (and/or a cassette), but the master tapes are in the Universal vault. I hope FS had access to the tapes but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• 1 year later...

Jim Harrod posted this notice on the West Coast Jazz list yesterday. It sounds very promising, and gives yet another reason to be thankful to the European reissue labels for having the foresight to make music like this available.

It's not every day that we are treated to a previously unreleased session from the 1950s, but a recent email from Bob Zieff informed me that Jack Nimitz has made arrangements with Fresh Sound to release the following ABC-Paramount session that has never been issued:

First session:

Jack Nimitz, baritone sax; Bill Harris, trombone; Gene Orloff, 1st violin; Dick Wetmore, 2nd violin; Lucien Schmidt, Seymour Barab, and Alan Shulman, cellos; Chuck Wayne, guitar; Russ Saunders (Savakus), bass; Teddy Sommer, drums.

Second session:

Jack Nimitz, baritone sax; Bill Harris, trombone; Gene Orloff, 1st violin; Dick Wetmore, 2nd violin; Lucien Schmidt, Seymour Barab, and Alan Shulman, cellos; Jimmy Raney, guitar; Russ Saunders (Savakus), bass; Sol Gubin, drums.

Third session:

Jack Nimitz, baritone sax; Bill Harris, trombone; Gene Orloff, 1st violin; Harry Lookofsky, 2nd violin; George Koutzen, Harvey Shapiro, and George Ricci, cellos; Kenny Burrell, guitar; Oscar Pettiford, bass; Don Lamond, drums.

The session was most likely the victim of changing A&R heads at ABC Paramount. The session is mentioned in the August 8, 1957 issue of Down Beat on page 8 -- "Bob Zieff scored all the tunes for a Jack Nimitz-Bill Harris set on ABC-Paramount with two violins, three cellos, Oscar Pettiford, Don Lamond, and guitarists Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Raney, and Kenny Burrell on the dates..."

I am a great fan of Zieff's writing and wish that he had remained longer on the jazz scene, or perhaps it is the other way around, that the jazz scene that appreciated his writing had remained longer. Chet appreciated his writing and in particular recorded SAD WALK several times in his brief career.

Jim

I've checked but can't seem to locate this. Would anyone know if it was released?

Q

First session:

Second session:

Third session:

Jim

I've checked but can't seem to locate this. Would anyone know if it was released?

Q

I wrote to Jim Harrod for further information, and just received this reply from him:

"I received an email from Bob Zieff yesterday telling me that he had received a copy from Jack. No details but I assume that it is on Fresh Sound. Checking their new release web site I do not see it listed, and it was not among the new Fresh Sound items in the Worlds Records recent arrival update."

So it appears as if this may be available some time soon ... the label is still not clear.