Sam Noto

Late

MC0xMjY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Noto, to my ears, sounds like an unusual hybrid of Conte Candoli (bop-inflected) with Woody Shaw or Blue Mitchell (with "modern" inclinations — though no "fourthy" intervals for Noto).

A trumpet sound that's very flugelhorn-like at times. Pretty.

Worth checking out if you have the chance.

Edited by Late

Act One is a favorite of mine. It is very good. In fact, I may go and put it on right now.

Joe Romano is really good on that session. I first encountered his tenor playing on a Gus Mancuso record that Fantasy reissued on compact disc back in the 90's. His sound then seemed to be under a heavy Rollins influence, but on Act One you can tell he's listened to Coltrane. Still, he manages to be himself.

Noto's sound is gorgeous on that record.

Port Townsend is a beautiful city. I'm guessing he does Centrum up there with Bud Shank? My parents actually saw Bill Perkins play there before he passed.

The festival there has been taken over by bassist John Clayton. I last saw Joe Romano about 18 month ago. He's fine and still playing up a storm at 74 years old.

Act One is a really fine record.

Joe Romano & Richie Vitale

20.jpg

Joe, until he recently married, would come back and forth to Rochester to visit or live. Sometimes those visits would be days, sometimes months. Between being on the road with Buddy, Bellson, Herman and the like, he worked/lived out of NYC, LA and Vegas, but always the road rat. I remember him being on the road with Sinatra and Donna Summer, (for God's sake) and The National Jazz Ensemble in the same year!

One night during a bilzzard, I sat in a empty club and heard him go through a string of songs that flowed/changed from one to another: Mr. PC, Half Nelson etc, and ending with Sonnymoon for Two. This went on for the entire set, no stops, no ballads; very free. The band had Joe, Barry Kiener - piano, Steve Davis - bass ( the bass player on My Favorite Things and McCoy's brother in law), and the infamous to all jazz boards, Danny D'Imperio (DEEP) on drums. Played their heart out; one of the great set of music I've ever heard.

When I was living in Rochester,NY I had the opportunity to hear Joe Romano many times. He is not only a wonderful tenor player, but also plays terrific alto.

There is an LP under Joe's name on Fresh Sound that I have never heard and would love to see it reissued on CD. Recently a CD by Joe came out, and I was able to find a copy.

Joe Romano - This Is The Moment - Romano 928

with Joe Magnarelli, Dino Losito, Neal Miner, Mike Melito

It's a good one.

Sam Noto spent many years in Toronto. He played with the Rob McConnell Boss Brass for a while. I caught Sam a few times with small groups in both Toronto and Rochester and he was always impressive.

There is an LP under Joe's name on Fresh Sound that I have never heard and would love to see it reissued on CD. Recently a CD by Joe came out, and I was able to find a copy.

That one:

DSC00466m.JPG

Thanks for the reminder, Peter!

Spinning it now and enjoying it very much.

The 1987 album was produced by Frank Strazzeri (executive producers:Jordi Pujol & Pedro Soley). Frank Strazzeri is quoted in the liner notes by Pujol as stating 'Joe has always had the gift of being at the wrong place at the right time!'

The LP had a brief lifespan and is no longer listed on the Fresh Sound website!

Sam Noto spent many years in Toronto. He played with the Rob McConnell Boss Brass for a while. I caught Sam a few times with small groups in both Toronto and Rochester and he was always impressive.

May have seen Noto (not 100% sure, failing memory :D ) in the lineup for a Dave McMurdo Orchestra performance at Art Gallery of Ontario. If my memory is correct the MC that night might have been board member Ted O'Reilly !

Edited by sidewinder

Love the stories here.

My earliest live jazz experience was in 1984 (Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers -- I was 14), so you can see I missed out on a lot. (I've only seen my idol Sonny Rollins once! 1991.)

I wish I could have been there for that Romano set! Sounds amazing.

• 4 years later...

Act One is a favorite of mine. It is very good. In fact, I may go and put it on right now.

Joe Romano is really good on that session. I first encountered his tenor playing on a Gus Mancuso record that Fantasy reissued on compact disc back in the 90's. His sound then seemed to be under a heavy Rollins influence, but on Act One you can tell he's listened to Coltrane. Still, he manages to be himself.

Noto's sound is gorgeous on that record.

I sure miss Joe Romano! Act One was probably his best recorded effort in my opinion. It was actually some of his best playing ever. His playing was very connected on that date.