Dorothy Ashby-jazz harpist

Soul Stream

Listening now to her Prestige twofer, and really enjoying it.  I've never heard a harp sound bluesy before!  Very tasteful and swinging, and Frank Wess is a perfect accompanist.  The overall effect reminds me of the MJQ, but I like this more.  I can also hear the comparison to Kenny Burrell.  Mark Stryker: do you mention her in your Jazz In Detroit book?

I can't think of a jazz harpist who swings harder than Dorothy Ashby. To play swinging eighth notes on the harp can't be easy, and Ashby makes it sound effortless. Coltrane doesn't really swing on harp (and that doesn't seem to be her objective), and other harpists, contemporary to Ashby, seem fairly stilted (90 degree angles) in comparison. I haven't heard that Atlantic record posted above, and need to.

I will spin Afro-Harping tonight. 

5 hours ago, mjzee said:

Listening now to her Prestige twofer, and really enjoying it.  I've never heard a harp sound bluesy before!  Very tasteful and swinging, and Frank Wess is a perfect accompanist.  The overall effect reminds me of the MJQ, but I like this more.  I can also hear the comparison to Kenny Burrell.  Mark Stryker: do you mention her in your Jazz In Detroit book?

She's name-checked but I don't go into any depth -- just didn't have the space to cover everyone. One of the things that's interesting about her is she is a product of the famous and unique harp program at Cass Tech -- same high school school that produced Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Donald Byrd, Roland Hanna, Hugh Lawson, Geri Allen and a zillion others. The harp program dates back to 1925 (!) and continues to this day.