Ornette @ grammys

any of you watch? 1st, ornette went up w/ natalie cole (who must of stopped smoking crack, she looked pretty decent) , and they announced his lifetime award, and then he gave a grammy to carrie underwood (who actually was pretty good). but it was a very surreal moment.

THEN LATER THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS CAME ON, AND THEY HAD A GIANT SPRAYPAINTED BANNER ON STAGE:

LOVE TO

ORNETTE COLEMAN

did any of you see that part, towards the very end????

any of you watch? 1st, ornette went up w/ natalie cole (who must of stopped smoking crack, she looked pretty decent) , and they announced his lifetime award, and then he gave a grammy to carrie underwood (who actually was pretty good). but it was a very surreal moment.

THEN LATER THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS CAME ON, AND THEY HAD A GIANT SPRAYPAINTED BANNER ON STAGE:

LOVE TO

ORNETTE COLEMAN

did any of you see that part, towards the very end????

Yeah, but if the dig Ornette so much...why didn't they stop their stupid song and let Ornette solo for 10 minutes instead of just hanging up stupid signs and wearing lakers uniforms. Lame-o.

Yeah, but if the dig Ornette so much...why didn't they stop their stupid song and let Ornette solo for 10 minutes instead of just hanging up stupid signs and wearing lakers uniforms. Lame-o.

Anyone remember that Chet Baker film "Let's Get Lost"? There were a bunch of scenes of Chet hanging out with a young group of sycophants, including Flea (bass player of the Peppers). It was a really weird thing; like they were digging him 'cause he was Chet, but also kinda messing with him, like he was just a crazy old homeless dude. And then there was Flea, sitting with Chet in a booth at a restaurant, in Chet's face, trying to convince him that he really was "into" jazz, and trying to get Chet to sing tunes with him. :crazy:

Anyone remember that Chet Baker film "Let's Get Lost"? There were a bunch of scenes of Chet hanging out with a young group of sycophants, including Flea (bass player of the Peppers). It was a really weird thing; like they were digging him 'cause he was Chet, but also kinda messing with him, like he was just a crazy old homeless dude. And then there was Flea, sitting with Chet in a booth at a restaurant, in Chet's face, trying to convince him that he really was "into" jazz, and trying to get Chet to sing tunes with him. :crazy:

I own that film. I remember when I first watched it — I actually turned it off right at the very scene you mention. Flea's patronizing remarks pissed me off that much (I was 21 at the time). He then asks Chet about Lee Morgan, and "did Lee Morgan really get shot by his girlfriend?" Chet responds quietly and nurses his drink. Flea breaks out into laughter.

Flea also had a similar exchange with Charles Bukowski. Perhaps "Louse" would be more apt for his moniker. He's also responsible for some of the world's worst scat singing ever — at the very beginning of "Let's Get Lost."

Oh, this is an Ornette thread ...

Dude, you people are jaded. the chili peppers gave OC some much deserved love last night.

Seemed like a Chili Pepper pose as usual. Seriously, they couldn't have had Ornette play with them? No spontaneous magic in high paid rock anymore. Too many publicists and record execs to think about I guess.

Who's to say they didn't ask and he turned them down. Or perhaps OC wanted a small fortune for a performance fee (from what i hear, that's not unheard of for him). :D

Dude, you people are jaded. the chili peppers gave OC some much deserved love last night.

Seemed like a Chili Pepper pose as usual. Seriously, they couldn't have had Ornette play with them? No spontaneous magic in high paid rock anymore. Too many publicists and record execs to think about I guess.

Naw man. Flea is a dyed-in-the-wool jazz fan (friend of a friend). That's sincere affection (it exists!), and not a grab for cred--and cred among who, anyway? Us? Who gives?

We can be wary of mainstream intentions all we want--and we know a Grammy lifetime achievement award ain't gonna change shit--but a night of anomalous (and maybe even tokenistic--worse still, exploitative) mainstream recognition for an unseen innovator isn't the worst thing in the world. Maybe someone will be curious enough to listen to Free Jazz instead of Michael Buble for once.

Edited by ep1str0phy

As Chuck and Ghost mentioned on another thread, when they announced Natalie with "Jazz innovator Ornette Coleman," they panned the crowd and almost to a expression was the look of, "Who's that?" At least the Chili Peppers celebrated the great man in their midst. At least those maniacs knew who he was. Out of all the people in that hall they chose to shout out to Ornette -- at least there was that.

It was too bad when Ornette started to read off the names of the bands up for the award he read his prompt. I can't remember the name of the bands but the cue card would have looked something like "Ornette: The Red Tomatoes" and Ornette read it like that, so his name was actually first on the list. There's some Freud with your music all up in it now.

There is nothing spontaneous about RHCP anymore.

Timbercrap turned in a decent performance on the show. He was "professional"" at least. Others were not.

I guess so. But why didn't he do a trial run with that hand held camera stuffed all up in his grill? That was the stupidest fucking thing I ever saw. That's all I needed was a nasty-assed close up of some dweebs face while he struts around singing about how fine he is and how his baby did him wrong.

No thanks, give me an unprofessional street performer banging on tin cans any day.

Edited by Johnny E