Billy Higgins

pryan

Well, I'm not sure if it's my new stereo system or what, but lately I've really been digging Billy Higgins' playing. There's so much subtle, but profound, nuances in his drumming that it's really astounding. Until recently, I hadn't really noticed these "little things", but I find myself going back to his many sideman appearances and listening almost solely to his playing.

I have most of his dates with Lee Morgan, a few with Hank Mobley, but not much else. So the question is this: what are some good albums where Billy Higgins appears on the drums? All suggestions are welcome, not only BN, but anything up until his passing.

As usual, thanks in advance.

Paul,

Billy recorded a great deal with the Cedar Walton Trio as well as with Eastern Rebellion.

One of my favorite live jazz memories is seeing in person why he was called "Smilin' Billy". He truly lit up the stage! I'll have to check, but in Art Taylor's book Notes and Tones doesn't Billy talk about his belief that the drums are like a woman and should be made love to?

Dan - I heard an interview with Charles Lloyd the other night, which was taped shortly after Billy's death. Billy, one night, told Lloyd that instead of getting up on stage and playing that they should play amongst the people (ie. in the crowd). Lloyd went for it, and he and Higgins really touched the crowd, spiritually and musically. Lloyd also mentioned that, on one of his last visits to see Billy in the hospital, Higgins told him that he'd always be with Lloyd on stage. Lloyd initially took this to mean physically, but Billy told him that although he may not be there in person, he would always be with him in spirit. A little sentimental perhaps, but I enjoyed the story all the same.

Sure, John, send Paul in search of a CD that it took me two months and the gracious help of a couple of European board members before I tracked it down! ;) Me and Greg kissing and making up might be easier to engineer! :P

(Actually its a great suggestion, just not an easy one to find, which is a real shame.)

Two albums where he plays very well (and are very good albums as well) are Herbie Hancock's "Takin' Off" and Donald Byrd's "Slow Drag". There are so many others, but I can't think of them all right now. Lloyd's "Hyperion With Higgins" is a gem as well, but Billy's playing by that point was suffering due to his poor health.

Two albums where he plays very well (and are very good albums as well) are Herbie Hancock's "Takin' Off" and Donald Byrd's "Slow Drag". There are so many others, but I can't think of them all right now. Lloyd's "Hyperion With Higgins" is a gem as well, but Billy's playing by that point was suffering due to his poor health.

I actually like his playing on the Lloyd albums quite a bit. Hyperion is the weakest of the 3, though.

You really owe it to yourself to listen to Higgins's work with Ornette if you haven't heard it already -- it's amazing. He also does similar stuff on Jackie Mac's Let Freedom Ring.

Guy

Rent the movie ROUND MIDNIGHT (get the soundtrack while you're at it, it's wonderful too!), and you'll be able to see some great footage of Billy playing live with Dexter Gordon!

I "rented" it last year from the library and really enjoyed it. Although I had forgotten that BH was on it, but now that you mention it, I do have a picture in my mind of Higgins playing in that film. Perhaps I'll get it out again.

• 10 years later...

Just listened again to Mobley's "A Slice Of The Top," and was surprised to hear how Billy pushed the band, like a great big band drummer. I always knew him to have that insinuating, seductive swing, but to hear him play the toms hard and overtly, brassy cymbals shining, was truly something special.

This leader date is very good. Higgins also sings a little and plays some guitar on "Bahia".

R-1183019-1254567994.jpeg

A1 Soweto 9:20 A2 Clockwise 8:08 A3 Neptune 5:36 B1 Back To Bologna 8:05 B2 Bahia, Bahia, Bahia 10:20
Credits
Notes
Recorded at Barigozzi Studios, Milano, Italy, January 21, 1979

This leader date is very good. Higgins also sings a little and plays some guitar on "Bahia".

R-1183019-1254567994.jpeg

A1 Soweto 9:20 A2 Clockwise 8:08 A3 Neptune 5:36 B1 Back To Bologna 8:05 B2 Bahia, Bahia, Bahia 10:20
Credits
Notes
Recorded at Barigozzi Studios, Milano, Italy, January 21, 1979

1254766985_r118301912514567994.jpg

Italian, Red Records a very underestimated label, for me: it`s the European "Blue Note" .

Oh yeah a hell of an album. :tup ( IMHO )