Chu Berry Mosaic Has Entered the Building

Ron S

I've had the set for nearly a year now, and have a few comments. I like the sound a lot - it's clear and detailed, and I don't hear any excessive noise reduction that others have noted. One thing, though - I have to turn the volume up much louder than I do with other CD's. For some reason, the set is mastered at a low volume.

The music is wonderful. We get to hear Chu in all kinds of settings - the big bands of Cab Calloway, Teddy Hill, & Fletcher Henderson; small group sessions with Wingy Manone, Putney Dandridge, Henry Allen, Mildred Bailey, Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa, & Lionel Hampton, and two sessions led by Berry that compare favorably to his Commodore dates.

Yeah -- I noticed the low volume when listening online. I wondered if it was just those clips or if it was the actual volume on disc. I wonder if they were concerned about dynamic range, et al. I know there's been a lot of negative buzz about "hot mastering" and jacked-up signals, digital clipping, etc, etc. It must have been done for a reason. If not, I'd imagine a producer would have cought that.

I haven't heard the Chu set, but it struck me throughout the Al Cohn/Joe Newman set that the mastering level is markedly lower. Is this an RCA thing? My impression is that they've always had a weird approach towards remastering - their Horowitz CDs sound distant and cold. Same for the Ellington Blanton/Webster set.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have started listening to the set, going through the first CD and then I noticed this piece by Mildred Bailey here are some of the lyrics

If you're the captain I'd be the crew

'Cause I just love to take orders from you

You blow the bugle and I'll jump through

How I'd love to take orders from you

I know that rules were made for fools

That's one thing I have learned

But I'm going in for discipline

Wherever you're concerned

If you say kiss me that's what I'll do

'Cause I just love to take orders from you

When someone tells me to march or to halt

My soul rebels I'm at way to a fault

No rules or regulations when I obey

Then I met you and I knew right away

Unless I'm missing some irony or any hidden meaning, is it me or this boat wouldn't float today ?

• 9 years later...

It looks like this set has been rebranded and added to digital services (Apple Music, Spoify etc) by Sony as "Chu Berry: The Columbia and Victor Sessions". I haven't checked but it looks the same as the Mosaic. So if you missed out (on what is my favourite Mosaic release), now's your 2nd chance!

38 minutes ago, SwingItTrev said:

It looks like this set has been rebranded and added to digital services (Apple Music, Spoify etc) by Sony as "Chu Berry: The Columbia and Victor Sessions". I haven't checked but it looks the same as the Mosaic. So if you missed out (on what is my favourite Mosaic release), now's your 2nd chance!

YouTube too. 153 tracks in three volumes.

This rebranding+streaming had already been done with sets licensed by Universal in the past--first Sony set I see.

F

54 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

It’s likely that others will follow, like the batch of Capitol/Blue Notes. Very welcome!

The first one I noticed on Spotify was the Nat King Cole Trio on Mosaic back in 2010 (https://open.spotify.com/album/36r0NLy7NH4Z14enk0EvF4), which actually kept the original cover. Since then, I've seen the Tal Farlow and the Golson-Farmer-Jazztet.

If you search "Capitol Vaults Series" on Spotify, you get a few Mosaic/Mosaic Select sets:

• Bob Brookmeyer (Select)
  • Paul Chambers (Select)
  • Dexter Gordon (Select)
  • Bennie Green (Select)
  • Bobby Hackett
  • Andrew Hill (Select 16 - group)
  • Bobby Hutcherson (Select)
  • Elvin Jones
  • Gene Krupa/Harry James
  • Hank Mobley
  • Joe Pass
  • Big John Patton (Select)
  • Art Pepper (Select)
  • Don Pullen (Select)
  • Dizzy Reece (Select)
  • Bud Shank/Bob Cooper

F

PS: Just noticed Louis Armstrong's Columbia & RCA Victor Live Recordings Mosaic is on Spotify too.

17 hours ago, SwingItTrev said:

I think the Mildred Bailey set might be available too. I'd love to see a few more OOP Mosaics that I missed become available, even if it's not quite the same as having a nice box set.

It is indeed on Amazon.  Or at least 3 Volumes of it. (How many were in the box set?) Streaming only it appears.  

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of the material probably can do whatever they want with the material, especially if that's part of the licensing deal. And Mosaic never does streaming or downloading nor licenses for that so Universal . . .  as my Mom used to say. . . . "Why wouldn't they?"