Chu Berry Mosaic Has Entered the Building

Ron S

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange... On the sound samples page it says that Ted Kendall did the mastering, while Malcolm Addey is credited near the bottom of the discography page; no mention of Kendall there :o

I really hope it's Addey; to my ears Kendall is a bit too generous with noise reduction.

Edited by J.A.W.

Strange... On the sound samples page it says that Ted Kendall did the mastering, while Malcolm Addey is credited near the bottom of the discography page; no mention of Kendall there :o

I really hope it's Addey; to my ears Kendall is a bit too generous with noise reduction.

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel just told me Ted Kendall did the sound restoration.

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel just told me Ted Kendall did the sound restoration.

From personal experience, Kendall uses noise reduction as desired by his customers. Don't blame him.

I submitted a question on Mosaic's web site about five years ago as to whether they could put together a Chu Berry box, and a Sun Ra Horo Records box. I received a rather curt reply that Mosaic had no interest in Sun Ra because his recordings are too inconsistent, and that it would be impossible to do a Chu Berry box because it would involve the cooperation of too many labels, some of which tend not to cooperate.

I felt rather down after reading that replay, but....could that have been the origin of this set? Does Mosaic really make decisions based on customer emails, or not?

I DO think that Mosaic takes customer suggestions to heart and really thinks about the possibilities. At the time you sent the suggestion who would have thought that BMG and Sony would be one umbrella? (Well someone might have. . . ) It's scary in many ways, but does have benefits in the reissue game. . . .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the Mosaic site the Chu Berry set is expected to be released March 27.

That's great news, but c'mon, will somebody please ship this thing already? :eye:

Mosaic has been doing this for how long - 10-15 years? Why is it that they still have such trouble nailing a release date? Delays in licensing agreements and research early on in the process are one thing, but this set had already been held back by such things a long time ago, and had supposedly gotten over that hump.

So what it is so late in the process that causes these boxes to get held back? Delays in the production of the boxes, the booklets? You'd think by now Mosaic would've figured these things out, or at least learned how to expect them enough to set a safe release date, and if nothing else, ship early to make people happy. :D

Don't misunderstand me - I love Mosaic. I have 40-50 of their sets. If anything, I'm just curious... ;)