Stewart Copeland on why jazz sucks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what a rock drummer thinks about jazz. However, it is troubling that some music lovers who read what he has said, and who might have thought about checking out jazz at some point, may be influenced in some conscious, or subliminal/subconscious way, and never give jazz a chance.

Wow, I wouldn't worry about it. At the end most of the Police's fans are well over the age of "subliminal/subconscious way". :D

Perhaps. There will be some young people who turn out for the curiosity value though. There always seem to be a lot of younger people at these stadium concerts of gray haired old geezers.

I hope they will play at concerts, not will hold conference.

BTW the average price of tickets AFIK will keep out most of the young people.

Edited by porcy62

I thought Copeland's father worked for the CIA, hence the name of the band. Of course, he could have been finger-wiggling on the side...

I don't know anything about his father but his brother, Miles Copeland, was the founder of IRS Records, "IRS" being the acronym for "International Record Syndicate". Miles also named his booking agency FBI - "Frontier Booking International".

Edited by Chalupa

Does anyone seriously care what Stewart Copeland thinks about jazz?

I agree. Copeland's a terrific drummer and whether he actually dislikes jazz or just gets a kick out of stirring the pot makes no difference to me. Someone doesn't need to like "my music" for me to dig (or not) them and vice versa. I really hope that most of you attacking him for his statements aren't as insecure as you sound. I don't like much opera or country music - so what?

Besides, he's a drummer. What does he know? :g

Does anyone seriously care what Stewart Copeland thinks about jazz?

I agree. Copeland's a terrific drummer and whether he actually dislikes jazz or just gets a kick out of stirring the pot makes no difference to me. Someone doesn't need to like "my music" for me to dig (or not) them and vice versa. I really hope that most of you attacking him for his statements aren't as insecure as you sound. I don't like much opera or country music - so what?

Besides, he's a drummer. What does he know? :g

Do you mean that you will not buy the upcoming Complete Hank Williams Volume III Mosaic?

Edited by porcy62

link

The problem with jazz musicians is that they are all crap. It's sort of like jazz is the refuge of the talent-less. If you really want to be a musician and you are prepared to really work hard at it, but you don't have the gift and you don't have any soul and you don't have any talent, jazz is what you should do; because all you need to do is just spend hours training your fingers to wiggle very quickly and you'll be a hero in the jazz world.

I'll take a leap of faith here and presume that Mr. Copeland sucked and blew at jazz and was told so in no uncertain terms. So he played rock instead.

By the way, the Police STUNK on the Grammys, speaking of talent.

Where can I hire someone to throw a pie in this guy's face? A pie made of cow poo poo.

Edited by RainyDay

link

The problem with jazz musicians is that they are all crap. It's sort of like jazz is the refuge of the talent-less. If you really want to be a musician and you are prepared to really work hard at it, but you don't have the gift and you don't have any soul and you don't have any talent, jazz is what you should do; because all you need to do is just spend hours training your fingers to wiggle very quickly and you'll be a hero in the jazz world.

I'll take a leap of faith here and presume that Mr. Copeland sucked and blew at jazz and was told so in no uncertain terms. So he played rock instead.

By the way, the Police STUNK on the Grammys, speaking of talent.

Where can I hire someone to throw a pie in this guy's face? A pie made of cow poo poo.

Check the forecast in hell, folks.

Rainy and I are in 100% agreement. Except that you couldn't pay me enough to watch the Grammys.

:g

What a vagina (no offense meant to the ladies.) sounds like this guy has issues with his daddy. maybe hes exacting his revenge after being subjected to so many cocaine-induced jam sessions as a kid. can't say i disagree with him comments on miles (although he definitely did have musical talent) This guy is obviously an idiot, which makes sense considering that he teamed up with narcissist-supreme sting. the police are lame anyway

What a vagina (no offense meant to the ladies.) sounds like this guy has issues with his daddy. maybe hes exacting his revenge after being subjected to so many cocaine-induced jam sessions as a kid. can't say i disagree with him comments on miles (although he definitely did have musical talent) This guy is obviously an idiot, which makes sense considering that he teamed up with narcissist-supreme sting. the police are lame anyway

As i said above about insecurity being ugly. :rolleyes:

Why is it that whenever someone expresses an unpopular opinion everyone must attack him and insist that "he's obviously an idiot?"

Again, so what if he doesn't like jazz?

Why is it that whenever someone expresses an unpopular opinion everyone must attack him and insist that "he's obviously an idiot?"

Yes, I am guilty. I admit that the main reason depends on the fact the one of my early girlfriends had some sort of worship for Sting, and I were jealous: he was more handsome, more rich, more famous and sang better then me. At times I presumed that also his schwantzstuck was bigger then mine.

And now I still hates him, because I am exhausted after only ten minuts of tantric sex, and he could last for seven hours. :ph34r:

Yes, I am guilty. I admit that the main reason depends on the fact the one of my early girlfriends had some sort of worship for Sting, and I were jealous: he was more handsome, more rich, more famous and sang better then me. At times I presumed that also his schwantzstuck was bigger then mine.

And now I still hates him, because I am exhausted after only ten minuts of tantric sex, and he could last for seven hours. :ph34r:

Is that why he had that smile on the Grammys?

Is that why he had that smile on the Grammys?

Because I wasn't there to smash his pretty face, that's the reason! :cool:

Hm. What an idiot.

Still, about one million people started playing drums because of him. That's all I care about. I happen to like the Police and I saw them live when they started out (in a tiny club ... what a blast that was, of fresh music) and shortly before they called it quites, with a few times inbetween.

I can't recall starting to dislike someone's music just because he/she said some idiotic stuff. If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to listen to the Beatles (did anyone ever notice how much shite came spilling out of their mouths continuously) or Monk (wasn't it Monk who waved away just about any other artist in some blindfold session? ... forgive me if I got that one wrong).

If I can get tickets, I'll see The Police.

Just after I bought myself a bunch of ECM CDs. ;)

Edited by neveronfriday

I thought Copeland's father worked for the CIA, hence the name of the band. Of course, he could have been finger-wiggling on the side...

I don't know anything about his father but his brother, Miles Copeland, was the founder of IRS Records, "IRS" being the acronym for "International Record Syndicate". Miles also named his booking agency FBI - "Frontier Booking International".

His father had a very interesting bio: Wikipedia.

Never graduated college, played with major big bands, one of the founding members of the OSS, remained with the CIA, and "...he was instrumental in arranging Operation Ajax, the 1953 technical coup d'état against the democratic Prime Minister of Iran, Mohammed Mossadegh." (We're still paying for that one...)

It isn't a matter of like or dislike but total disregard and disrespect for musicians who can play rings around him and his pathetic bandmates. Add that to his laughable knowledge of the music ... I mean, forget that calling Miles with Tony Williams "early" ignores the Birth of the Cool - what about the first Quintet? The Trane-Cannonball band? All the other recorded bands that came before the second Quintet?

I don't give a shit if a loser like him doesn't "like" jazz. Anyone who makes the crap he does, I wouldn't expect him to have any appreciation for something as complex and challenging as jazz. But to disrespect the musicians and know nothing of the history anyway? Fuck that.