Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Teasing the Korean

I have the LP of this on Charlie Parker records, credited to Duke Jordan with Art Taylor on drums. There is a CD of this with the same track lineup.

There is another CD of this credited to Art Blakey. This CD has more tracks, only one of which shares a title ("No Problem").

IMDB does not list Art Blakey in connection with the music for this film, though Duke Jordan is listed (along with Thelonius Monk and another name I didn't recognize).

Anyone know the story here?

• 10 years later...
3 hours ago, brownie said:

At long last! 

The film plays pretty often on French TV. It has aged.  It includes à small portion of the music originally taped.

Pretty sûre the music stood the test of time much better.

Talking about Art Blakey and film scores from that period:

Did "Des femmes disparaissent" age any better? Just being curious (no, I have not taken the time yet to view the film on Youtube ;))

Considering the French title ("Women disappear") and then the (period) titles in other languages ...

"The road to shame" (English)
"The sex vampires" (Italian)
"Blonde freight and black devils" (German)

... you sure get a distinct "pulp fiction" feeling about the plot that would have triggered THESE translations to drag people into the movie theaters abroad ... :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Very cool, though not really a surprise, wasn't there an interview with Feldman in which he mentioned unissued studio Monk and it was quickly deduced that this was what he must have been talking about?

Anyway, I am confused. The WBGO piece states no new music was composed. The press release GoM posted in the other thread quotes TS Monk as saying there is new music. So which will it be?

I hereby predict that almost everyone will be excited by this, but Allen is going to mention how disappointing it is that Rouse is on the date. :w:w

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Talking about Art Blakey and film scores from that period:

Did "Des femmes disparaissent" age any better? Just being curious (no, I have not taken the time yet to view the film on Youtube ;))

Considering the French title ("Women disappear") and then the (period) titles in other languages ...

"The road to shame" (English)
"The sex vampires" (Italian)
"Blonde freight and black devils" (German)

... you sure get a distinct "pulp fiction" feeling about the plot that would have triggered THESE translations to drag people into the movie theaters abroad ... :D

'Des Femmes Disparaissent' fares worst as a movie even if it remains visible in a highly dated period way if you are in a masochistic mood... and you can close your eyes  and just listen to the music of Blakey's Messengers at their best!

1 hour ago, brownie said:

'Des Femmes Disparaissent' fares worst as a movie even if it remains visible in a highly dated period way if you are in a masochistic mood... and you can close your eyes  and just listen to the music of Blakey's Messengers at their best!

I've already done that here and there just listening to the LP.

Thanks, Brownie, for that candid review! :lol:

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

IS all the Monk music used in the film?

I have no clou in any narrow sense of the word, but given that we are talking about a double LP. and that there's a second soundtrack album by Duke Jordan (no less) used in the film, the film would take forever if it used all the Monk music - and the vast majority of films are too long but they don't take forever

On March 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM, brownie said:

Pretty sûre the music stood the test of time much better.

In the circles I travel in, the film is very much loved, as is Roger Vadim and French New Wave cinema in general.

In fact, I consider jazz to be a French art form, because whenever I hear jazz, in my mind I automatically see black and white images of Paris in the 1950s. 

I am forever indebted to the French for inventing jazz. 

44 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

In the circles I travel in, the film is very much loved, as is Roger Vadim and French New Wave cinema in general.

In fact, I consider jazz to be a French art form, because whenever I hear jazz, in my mind I automatically see black and white images of Paris in the 1950s. 

In Nouvelles Orleans?

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Well. ever since I saw Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud and Paris Blues and read certain pieces by jazz-minded French scribes, I am inclined to agree with you and i tend to see the same images. Although images of '"U.S. 40s Noir street scenes" run a very, very close second. ;)

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I believe that Vadim is usually not included as part of the New Wave--  I've always felt a bit unfairly.  He's considered a terrible director (rightly in my opinion) but that doesn't negate that his choice of subject matter, locations and technical apparatus  not to mention his commercial success made the New Wave possible.  

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

I believe that Vadim is usually not included as part of the New Wave--  I've always felt a bit unfairly.  He's considered a terrible director (rightly in my opinion) but that doesn't negate that his choice of subject matter, locations and technical apparatus  not to mention his commercial success made the New Wave possible.  

Spectacular love life, too. As Spike Milligan said, "No wonder they called him Roger." :lol: (Not sure if this one travels transatlantic.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Vadim

Vadim's films have not stood the test of time well. I am not sure his best one - 'Sait-on Jamais' rates really high these days.

Vadim was a much better womanizer (BB, Jane Fonda, Catherine Deneuve, Marie-Christine Barrault... than a film director.

If 'Et Dieu Créa la Femme' was viewed favorably by New Wave people, he was never accepted as a full time member.

There even was a trial back in 1962 that opposed  Vadim to François Truffaut (Vadim won).