Amsterdam?

Say "Amsterdam" to an American and the first thing they ask about is the "hash bars"... [sigh...]

Don't get your panties in a bunch, J.A.W. I was asking a simple question. I've been to Amsterdam and I love everything about the city. I asked this because if smoking is banned in the hash bars, than that is going to have a major effect on the city's economics as well as the tourism industry. Whether you like it or not, its the only place in the world (I'm pretty sure) where you can walk into a bar, legaly buy marijuana, and smoke it right there without getting arrested. And as I'm sure you know, that element alone draws mass amounts of people annually to Amsterdam. I was just asking a question about a city I love dearly; there's no need for your prejudice.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say "Amsterdam" to an American and the first thing they ask about is the "hash bars"... [sigh...]

Don't get your panties in a bunch, J.A.W. I was asking a simple question. I've been to Amsterdam and I love everything about the city. I asked this because if smoking is banned in the hash bars, than that is going to have a major effect on the city's economics as well as the tourism industry. Whether you like it or not, its the only place in the world (I'm pretty sure) where you can walk into a bar, legaly buy marijuana, and smoke it right there without getting arrested. And as I'm sure you know, that element alone draws mass amounts of people annually to Amsterdam. I was just asking a question about a city I love dearly; there's no need for your prejudice.

the funny thing is, that some political parties want to make an exeption for the "coffee-shops", so it just could happend that in 2 years the only place you can smoke (weed, sigarets op pipe) is in the coffeeshops

JB

My prejudice?? I don't think so. I've been asked this question by Americans more times than I care to remember. Talking about prejudice...

Hans - you know this place?

http://www.crackedkettle.com/

Robert, my guess is that you'll have a good 'ol time in there. It's packed with fine brews. Here are a couple of pics. When I was in there, the owner was restocking....had multiple cases sitting about. He's a long haired Irish dude....had to be stoned...but definitely knowledgeable. Directly across the alley is Gollem which is a must see/must drink spot. Seemed to be mostly locals. Hendrix' 'Crosstown Traffic' was playing as I counted 39 bodies crammed in there (including the 2nd level located up 5 creaky steps with 3 good sized tables)....and 35 of us were smoking -- so you'll want to bring your Camels. Highly recommended!

I will be there for sure! I've warned the misses that Amsterdam will by my 2 days of living it up. Hope my hotel has a mini-fridge to keep em cool, cause I doubt I'll take beer bottles on my flight to Paris.

Robert, my guess is that you'll have a good 'ol time in there. It's packed with fine brews. Here are a couple of pics. When I was in there, the owner was restocking....had multiple cases sitting about. He's a long haired Irish dude....had to be stoned...but definitely knowledgeable. Directly across the alley is Gollem which is a must see/must drink spot. Seemed to be mostly locals. Hendrix' 'Crosstown Traffic' was playing as I counted 39 bodies crammed in there (including the 2nd level located up 5 creaky steps with 3 good sized tables)....and 35 of us were smoking -- so you'll want to bring your Camels. Highly recommended!

I will be there for sure! I've warned the misses that Amsterdam will by my 2 days of living it up. Hope my hotel has a mini-fridge to keep em cool, cause I doubt I'll take beer bottles on my flight to Paris.

Yes, you must (lay down the law, that is!!) :g I was going to wrap the various Belgian/Dutch/German & Luxembourger brews and check them in the suit bag.....but decided instead to mix 'em in with the 8 cases of wine I shipped back from Luxembourg. Damn, a 71 kilo beauty of a box it was!! You don't want to know what that cost to ship!! :ph34r: Lucky for me my wife is a willing co-conspirator when it comes to slightly overdoing it on the Beverage Acquisition Front. She can always be counted on to toss in that extra case even after I've said (just pretending of course) 'jeez, maybe we ought to ease up a bit, huh?' :lol:

So Robert, work on putting yourself in the correct frame of mind....and think 71.5 kilos!! :cool:

Yes, you must (lay down the law, that is!!) :g I was going to wrap the various Belgian/Dutch/German & Luxembourger brews and check them in the suit bag.....but decided instead to mix 'em in with the 8 cases of wine I shipped back from Luxembourg. Damn, a 71 kilo beauty of a box it was!! You don't want to know what that cost to ship!! :ph34r: Lucky for me my wife is a willing co-conspirator when it comes to slightly overdoing it on the Beverage Acquisition Front. She can always be counted on to toss in that extra case even after I've said (just pretending of course) 'jeez, maybe we ought to ease up a bit, huh?' :lol:

So Robert, work on putting yourself in the correct frame of mind....and think 71.5 kilos!! :cool:

isn't it cheaper to just buy that beer at an import store in the US?

or are those so hard to get over there?

there must be a market, then...

JB

Say 'Amsterdam' to me and the first thing I think of is pork pies. Don't ask. It's a long story.

• 7 months later...

Any jazz concerts next week there?

(sorry, don't have an English translation)

Bimhuis

Piet Heinkade 3

1019 BR Amsterdam

Kassa: 020-7882188

www.bimhuis.nl

BIMHUIS PROGRAMMA NOVEMBER 2007

woensdag 21 november 21.00u euro 16

VINCENT HERRING & EARTH JAZZ AGENTS

Vincent Herring-sopraansax, altsax, tenorsax, Anthony Wonsey-piano, keyboards, Richie Goods-bas, Joris Dudli-drums

Altsaxofonist Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley is duidelijk een van zijn grote voorbeelden, Vincent Herring speelt met dezelfde bijtende toon, ritmiek en energie. Ook de goed lopende ritmesectie doet denken aan bands van Cannonball: de musici excelleren in funk, swing en moderne jazz. Pianist Anthony Wonsey speelde onder meer met Pharoah Sanders en Elvin Jones.

donderdag 22 november 21.00u euro 20

i.s.m. Flamenco Biennale Nederland

INTERMEZZO FLAMENCO

NINO JOSELE TRIO FEAT. HORACIO 'EL NEGRO' HERNANDEZ

FLAMENCO JAZZ

Nino Josele-gitaar, Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez-drums, Pablo Martin-bas

De Eerste Nederlandse Flamenco Biennale was eind 2006 een groot succes. Om de periode tot de tweede editie te overbruggen is er voor de aficionados een aantal intermezzo's. Het trio van Nino Josele, een van de meest vernieuwende flamencogitaristen van dit moment, mengt flamenco met jazz in een eerbetoon aan Bill Evans en in eigen composties. 'El Negro' wordt internationaal gezien als een van de meest virtuoze drummers, wiens Cubaanse komaf wordt weerspiegeld in zijn weergaloze timing en expressie. Dit concert wordt mede mogelijk gemaakt door de Spaanse Ambassade.

vrijdag 23 november 21.00u euro 20

DAVID MURRAY BLACK SAINT QUARTET

David Murray-tenorsax, Lafayette Gilchrist-piano, Ray Drummond-bas, Mark Johnson-drums

Sinds zijn Bimhuisdebuut als negentienjarige trad David Murray hier met regelmaat op in de meest uiteenlopende bezettingen, maar in de afgelopen 15 jaar zelden als bandleider. Met zijn Black Saint Quartet (vernoemd naar het gerenommeerde Italiaanse jazzlabel waarvoor hij 17 albums opnam in de periode eind jaren 70 tot begin jaren 90), geflankeerd door het grote pianotalent Lafayette Gilchrist, Ray Drummond en Mark Johnson, grijpt Murray terug naar zijn pure Amerikaanse jazzroots.

na afloop 23.30u gratis

DJ mps PILOT Global Grooves

zaterdag 24 november 21.00u euro 16

YARON HERMAN TRIO

Yaron Herman-piano, Matt Brewer-bas, Gerald Cleaver-drums

George Avakian, producer van Miles Davis' mythische sessie Kind Of Blue en van Keith Jarrett's eerste opnames, noemt hem 'The Real Thing!' Pianist Yaron Herman, in 1981 in Tel-Aviv geboren en sinds een paar jaar woonachtig in Parijs, is hot. Keith Jarrett en Paul Bley zijn grote inspiratiebronnen, maar hij heeft duidelijk zijn eigen klank. De Volkskrant schreef over zijn Bimhuisdebuut eind vorig jaar: 'Hij liet de vleugel ronken, zoemen en flitsen zonder in nadrukkelijk bravourespel te vervallen. Die nauwkeurig gerichte energie is een paralel met de beste popmuziek van dit moment. Yaron Herman klinkt werkelijk eigentijds.'

zondag 25 november 14.30u euro 14

WOLFERT BREDERODE QUARTET

Presentatie CD Currents (ECM)

Wolfert Brederode-piano, Claudio Puntin-basklarinet, klarinet, Mats Eilertsen-bas, Samuel Rohrer-drums

Het Wolfert Brederode Quartet speelt eigenzinnige kamerjazz, meanderend tussen sterke melodielijnen en ongrijpbare harmonieen. 'Het drama in Brederode's spel zit niet in de kracht van de aanslag of een excessief aantal noten, maar in zijn weloverwogen verhaal. Adem halen, regel melodie afleveren, weer adem halen.' (NRC Handelsblad). Vanavond presenteert de pianist zijn nieuwe CD Currents, die hij opnam voor het gerenommeerde label ECM.

zondag 25 november 21.00u euro 14

INEKE VAN DOORN & MARC VAN VUGT'S BIG BIZAR HABIT

ALICE IN SPACE

Ineke van Doorn-teksten, zang, piano, Vincent Wijlhuizen-voice-over, regie, Marc van Vugt-gitaar, Angelo Verploegen-trompet, Mete Erker-saxen, Jeffrey Bruinsma-viool, Paul Stouthamer-cello, Paul Berner-contrabas, Joost Lijbaart-drums Marcel Brugmans-projecties, Marijn Philippona-geluid, Ingmar Heytze-teksten

Een geimproviseerde ruimte-opera voor 2 stemmen, musici en universum, vrij naar de cultklassieker Dimension of Miracles van Robert Sheckley uit 1968. Hoeveel tijd kost het om een veilig maar kleurloos bestaan achter je te laten en een kosmos van nieuwe avonturen in te stappen? De tijd die nodig is om 'ja' te zeggen tegen een buitenaardse boodschapper die je de hoofdprijs van een intergalactische loterij aanbiedt. Maar als ze de aarde ver achter zich heeft gelaten, ontdekt Alice dat je ook elders in het universum niets voor niets krijgt. Tijdens een betoverende reis langs verre sterrenstelsels en vreemde werelden doemen ook nieuwe, onvermoede en potentieel levensbedreigende problemen op. Om maar een van die problemen te noemen: hoe komt ze weer thuis? The Making of Alice in Space is reeds te volgen op www.inekevandoorn.com

dinsdag 27 november gratis

WORKSHOP & SESSION

20.00u workshop o.l.v. Arnold Dooyeweerd

22.30u session i.s.m. Conservatorium van Amsterdam

woensdag 28 november 21.00u euro 16

JAN AKKERMAN & BAND

Jan Akkerman-gitaar, Marijn van den Berg-drums, Wilbrand Meischke-bas, Coen Molenaar-keyboard

Na zijn unieke Bimhuis-soloconcert op 29 september (als onderdeel van Output Festival) treedt meestergitarist en componist Jan Akkerman nu op met zijn band. Akkerman (60) speelt al meer dan een halve eeuw gitaar maar lijkt door zijn internationale status van gitaargod nauwelijks aangeroerd. Hij experimenteert onafgebroken met nieuwe apparatuur en gitaren en blijft in zijn spel zoeken naar nieuwe vormen, zich niets aantrekkend van genregrenzen. Vanavond speelt hij met zijn band een set elektrisch en een set akoestisch.

was in amsterdam in july for just a short time. rashied ali was at bimhaus. i absolutely loved, loved the city. wish we could have stayed much longer but i am definitely planning to return. it is definitely one of my most favorite cities in europe (not that i've seen them all though)! for folks only visiting for a limited time, i would recommend a canal cruise. we took one that started around 9pm for two hours and only towards the end did it start getting dark. we saw so many beautiful sights. it was absolutely magical. and the wine served with cheese, sausages, fruit, crackers, etc. didn't hurt either.

Thanks! That would be really nice to see one of two of those shows. David Murray hasn't been in LA for some time.

Not familiar with YARON HERMAN TRIO nor WOLFERT BREDERODE QUARTET. Can anyone here provide input?

no idea about WOLFERT BREDERODE but he has Claudio Puntin in his band which promises great things!