"South African Jazz"

ep1str0phy

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Following up on some older posts regarding the electricjive site, can anyone comment on their experience with mediafire? My malwarebytes explodes when I have tried to follow the download links, though I have done so much more recently than the posts that cited electricjive.  Any comments or advice would be welcome.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, erhodes said:

Following up on some older posts regarding the electricjive site, can anyone comment on their experience with mediafire? My malwarebytes explodes when I have tried to follow the download links, though I have done so much more recently than the posts that cited electricjive.  Any comments or advice would be welcome.

I assume you have the premium version of MalwareBytes that provides real-time monitoring. I don't have much experience with that version, but if you're going to be accessing blog links to any of the various cloud storage services like Mediafire, you should be running two browser add-ins: uBlock Origin and an industrial-strength pop-up blocker like Poper Blocker. That combination will kill almost all of the more egregious attempts to inject ads that border on malware, unwanted redirects, and pop-ups that ignore the built-in pop-up blocking function in most browsers. You can still allow "good" pop-ups on a case-by-case basis. 

20 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I assume you have the premium version of MalwareBytes that provides real-time monitoring. I don't have much experience with that version, but if you're going to be accessing blog links to any of the various cloud storage services like Mediafire, you should be running two browser add-ins: uBlock Origin and an industrial-strength pop-up blocker like Poper Blocker. That combination will kill almost all of the more egregious attempts to inject ads that border on malware, unwanted redirects, and pop-ups that ignore the built-in pop-up blocking function in most browsers. You can still allow "good" pop-ups on a case-by-case basis. 

Whew...

Many thanks for this info, Dave.  You are correct viz. MalwareBytes though I let my premium lapse.  That's what initially alerted me to the problem, though.

I'm going to follow your advice...and proceed with caution.  Looking forward to hearing some of the material at electricjive.

• 2 years later...

I've been given this list of South African jazz artists (I suspect that some might be more mixed genre fusion/pop/mbaqanga) to check out.

The list comes from a South African who was around at the time, and is noticeably different to the Abdullah Ibrahim / Blue Tones heavy lists you tend to get on the west or from émigrés.

The Drive
Sakhile
Sankomota
Mparanyana and the Cannibals 
Stimela
Malombo Jazzmen
Bheki Mseleku

The Dark City Sisters

Kalamazoo

Black Disco
Winston Mankunku Ngozi
Zacks Nkosi

Does anyone know their work or have any records of theirs to recommend? 

The only one I know is Mankuku Ngozi, who received an excellent reissue a whole back.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Bheki Mseleku was a great pianist I admire (he also could play good sax and guitar), but I think he style was more "mainstream" than South-African flavored.  My personal favorite is Beauty of Sunrise (Polygram, 1997), but couldn't find it on YouTube, so...

When I was young I enjoyed Zacks Nkosi's A Tribute To Zacks Nkosi (1975) since a British radio DJ in Japan recommended it on his program.  Not so thrilling or "jazzy", but have a good, relaxed African vibrations.

24 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Bheki Mseleku was a great pianist I admire (he also could play good sax and guitar), but I think he style was more "mainstream" than South-African flavored.  My personal favorite is Beauty of Sunrise (Polygram, 1997), but couldn't find it on YouTube, so...

When I was young I enjoyed Zacks Nkosi's A Tribute To Zacks Nkosi (1975) since a British radio DJ in Japan recommended it on his program.  Not so thrilling or "jazzy", but have a good, relaxed African vibrations.

Thank you.

The list was given because I had mentioned the classic South African jazz musical King Kong, which launched so many careers in jazz-adjacent South African pop. I'm therefore not all that sure of how many of the names on the list really are jazz, South African pop or just pop. Either way, I love a list.  

I will certainly check out those two that you kindly mentioned.

Edited by Rabshakeh

On 24/09/2021 at 3:09 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I've been given this list of South African jazz artists (I suspect that some might be more mixed genre fusion/pop/mbaqanga) to check out.

The list comes from a South African who was around at the time, and is noticeably different to the Abdullah Ibrahim / Blue Tones heavy lists you tend to get on the west or from émigrés.

The Drive
Sakhile
Sankomota
Mparanyana and the Cannibals 
Stimela
Malombo Jazzmen
Bheki Mseleku

The Dark City Sisters

Kalamazoo

Black Disco
Winston Mankunku Ngozi
Zacks Nkosi

Does anyone know their work or have any records of theirs to recommend? 

The only one I know is Mankuku Ngozi, who received an excellent reissue a whole back.

I have four albums of The Drive. They're very, very good at their best, which is frequent enough. And at least moderate at their worst.

I put one of their track on a BFT and it fooled everyone :)

I think...

MG

MG

If you're after specifically JAZZ material, then Tribute to Henry Sithole (RCA) will fit the bill.

R-8999776-1473026347-3225.jpeg.jpg

But if you want a bit of soul jazz, then it's  Slow drive to Soweto (Atlas City)

R-6705871-1425010178-6202.jpeg.jpg

Let it be me is the cut I put on the BFT.

I see you can't get either on Discogs... Oh well.

MG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been a fan of Bheki Mseleku since hearing Timelessness in the mid 90s when he was on Verve. I was lucky enough to see what I believe was his only US headline appearance at SOB's in NY. Tapestry Works recently released a collection of solo piano recordings that is well worth checking out.

https://tapestryworks.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-stars

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...