"South African Jazz"

ep1str0phy

I just got a copy of District Six's To Be Free. Frankly, I didn't even know that this one existed; my understanding is that it's not Chris McGregor's band, although he features prominently on the recording (doesn't compose for the group, though). There's some good playing here, especially by reedman Harrison Smith (his sax solo on the "Songs for Winnie Mandela" suite is hard, tough, and measured in the John Gilmore tradition), but all in all it feels like a tamer Very Urgent. It's certainly nice to hear McGregor play a little more "open" so late in the game, though.

Edited by ep1str0phy

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still wasn't able to locate that Miller box :(

Try here!

Got one of the "last copies" (missing outer box and no packaging for disc two) from a group-member, used. Very nice! Have only heard some bit here and there, though.

Would anyone who has the regular cardboard package for disc two be so kind and provide me with some scans? I'd appreciate that highly!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard this???

Brotherhood Of Breath

Philharmonie, Berlin, Germany

November 04, 1971

Lineup:

Harry Beckett

Marc Charig

Malcolm Griffith

Nick Evans

Dudu Pukwana

Mike Osborne

Alan Skidmore

Gary Windo

Chris McGregor

Harry Miller

Louis Moholo

Giving this one a listen this afternoon.....

It's a good 'ne. The one I'm dying to here, though, is Procession, which regularly commands far-above-my-price-range figures on e-bay. I love the light, punchy arrangement of "Sonia" that pops up w/Pukwana and Feza, but the Brotherhood version is a thing of beauty, no doubt--a masterful example of that group's affinity to staggered line constructions and cyclicism (listen to the version on In the Townships and compare it to Bremen to Bridgwater--now that's a killer (re?)-working).

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it--I got in with that program I was talking about for the next couple of years, so it looks like my work in this area may pan out. Time will tell...

Fantastic news!

Well...don't know what the quartet would be...'Foxes Fox' (Moholo, Evan, Steve Beresford, John Edwards) is usually billed as such, so I'm not sure!

I was just listening to Brotherhood today--beautiful, beautiful stuff. It's one of those albums that my mind refuses to tire to. (It could act as a cross section of this camp of musicians--a mbaqanga tune, a blowout piece in free time, a knotty post-bop piece, a melee in triple meter, a breakneck march--everything's here, everyone is featured in some capacity.)

And I finally got my hands on the Harry Miller box (it's in the mail). I'm excited, to say the least.

I got this last week from a board member. It's fantastic. One of those albums that gets better and better w/ repeated listenings.

Holy shit! The lineup from avant music news:

9:00 Louis Moholo and Friends

Kidd Jordan tenor saxophone / Dave Burrell piano

William Parker bass / Louis Moholo drums

Crap!! That's the same night as my son's 3rd birthday.

Take him with you!!

Wish I could. :(

I'm gonna email Dave Burrell's manager and see if there is any chance of them coming to philly for a gig.

I saw that band several years ago. Serious business.

I had no idea that this group had been gigging. The promise of a Burrell-Moholo matchup (and I dig the other guys) just kicks my ass.

AFAIK, the first gig was at the 2001 Vision Festival. Not sure what's happened for them since then, but I was at that one and it was pretty great. The only problem was that they did an encore - a shorter set would have given me all I needed. Any more and it got a little tired... I'm all for a blowout, but it would've also been nice to hear them play some "tunes."

Crap!! That's the same night as my son's 3rd birthday.

Take him with you!!

Wish I could. :(

I'm gonna email Dave Burrell's manager and see if there is any chance of them coming to philly for a gig.

Got a reply to my email from Burrell's manager. He said he is working on bringing them down to Philly. :party::party: :party: