"South African Jazz"

ep1str0phy

I had a gig with Louis a couple of weeks ago and asked him about this...he was excited by it! I can't remember if he said anything about more than one date...I have it in the back of my mind that he talked about a couple, but that wouldn't square with Frank Wright being a dep for Chris, and I think it's extremely unlikely that a number of dates for this band would have been arranged...for one or two of the guys plus guest, maybe (e.g. Louis/Johnny/Wright), but three strikes me as too much like the Blue Notes, and obviously that lineup was sacrosanct for them...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Gee, am I the only one here who likes Zim Ngqawana's music?

Anyway, bumping this thread again as I'm having my third go at the recent Blue Notes/Frank Wright disc, Spiritual Knowledge and Grace:

412a5K3piBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's really growing on me - very intense, powerful music. Not as warm, sunny and swinging as much of the ZA jazz I love so much, but there's still a lot of warmth in there - and a whole lot of intensity! The horns of Dudu and Frank lock up in some great playing - really a joy to hear!

Makes me hope the promised future release from this tour ("the Blue Notes proper", as David Ilic's minimal CD liners say) will really happen!

Btw, who's this David Ilic? I see he's written a few things for The Wire, but is he involved with Ogun in any way?

• 11 months later...

Gee, am I the only one here who likes Zim Ngqawana's music?

Anyway, bumping this thread again as I'm having my third go at the recent Blue Notes/Frank Wright disc, Spiritual Knowledge and Grace:

412a5K3piBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's really growing on me - very intense, powerful music. Not as warm, sunny and swinging as much of the ZA jazz I love so much, but there's still a lot of warmth in there - and a whole lot of intensity! The horns of Dudu and Frank lock up in some great playing - really a joy to hear!

Makes me hope the promised future release from this tour ("the Blue Notes proper", as David Ilic's minimal CD liners say) will really happen!

Btw, who's this David Ilic? I see he's written a few things for The Wire, but is he involved with Ogun in any way?

I've never met David, but he's a friend of Hazel Miller and Ogun, certainly. He does the layout/design for them too I believe!

• 1 year later...

I'm with no doubt not the only one here following - with open mouth, sometimes having to dy off some saliva, indeed - the amazing finds shared on the electric jive blog, the "Ian Bruce Huntley" tapes?

Anyway, just in case someone has been missing out, check them out, amazing music by Winston "Mankunku" Ngozi, Dudu Pukwana, Morris Goldberg, Chris Schilder, Johnny Dyani ... there's also a set by the Blue Notes ... and there's even a lost Kippie Moeketsi recording!

The posts always come with poignant and wonderful photos by the same man who recorded the music, Ian Bruce Huntley. And now, they just released a book of those photos, up for order in what I assume pretty limited quantities (450 copies if I have my math right):

front+cover-1.jpg

Surely I've got one on order, to be shipped from the UK soon ... they'll also have copies around in the US (and obviously in South Africa). Find all details here:

http://www.electricjive.blogspot.ch/2013/11/keeping-time-get-it-while-you-can.html

Makes a perfect x-mas gift to myself :)

got a reply from Chris Albertyn who runs the Electric Jive blog (what a great site) regarding the "Ian Bruce Huntley" tapes (56hrs)

think I'lll probably purchase the book too

There is already quite a bit of the audio up on the blog site - but blogger
as whole seems to be having issues with its search function. However if you
google "IBH Jazz Archive" you should find quite a few of the links
referenced.

I am hoping that the full audio (the full 'discography' is printed in the
book) will become accessible and public by the end of January 2014 - depends
upon how much time I can steal from my day job. There will be a full set of
pages dedicated to the IBH jazz archive, (visual, written and audio) and
over time Ian and I have agreed that we would like to get more and more of
his photos up on the site - the book contains 120 images that Ian selected -
but there are lots of other important photos, including Dizzy Gillespie live
in Lesotho.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my copy of the book a few days ago - marvellous! Only flipped through so far, there's some stuff to read, too ... hopefully I'll fnd the time to do so in the next few days.

There's also a double page in the January issue of The Wire - a most positive review of the book and the tapes already up at electricjive.

Doesn't he play the US?

Would sure be nice to catch some oral history like stuff from the few survivors ... but this book, and even more so the tapes, really open up a whole new vista on ZA jazz, I think! Very, very glad to have it all!

Last time a few years ago in Philly with frode's big band. Besides that maybe 2006 or so at Vision Fest.

Okay ... that's about when I saw him, too - Circulasione Totale Orchestra with a wonderful Bobby Bradford guesting ... Paal Nilssen-Love the second drummer, if I'm not mistaken. Good concert!

Going from memory, I'm not sure I've seen him any other time ... don't think so. Would love to catch him in a small combo ... in duo with Irene Schweizer for instance, or with Alexander Hawkins (the CD on Ogun is mighty good!)

Got my copy of the book a few days ago - marvellous! Only flipped through so far, there's some stuff to read, too ... hopefully I'll fnd the time to do so in the next few days.

There's also a double page in the January issue of The Wire - a most positive review of the book and the tapes already up at electricjive.

mine is on the way but may take some time (surface shipping)

Me needs to see Foxes Fox with Evan Parker, Steve Beresford and John Edwards

To my ears one of the great improvising ensembles in this music

Beautiful group...I have Evan to thank for a great deal, not least that subbing for Steve in this group some years back was when I first met and got to play with Louis! The many hours I've spent in the car with Louis on the way to gigs have been an amazing education...so many stories....

Let me post here that track 2 from Decoy with Joe McPhee is among the most powerful improv pieces I've heard over the past couple of years.

Wow, thank you so much - that's really kind of you. Fingers crossed we're about to tie-up a couple of dates with Joe for next year...such an honour to make music with him!

• 3 months later...

The Ian Bruce Huntley tapes are all up in one place on Electric Jive & can all be downloaded - a wonderful accompaniment to the recently published book

http://electricjive.blogspot.com.au/p/ibh-audio-archive-posts.html go to Audio Recordings

well set out with a pic of the original tape/box Ian made with each session/s

Edited by romualdo