Upcoming ECM Releases

Guy Berger

I'm only interested in a few of these, but someone posted this on JazzCorner and I thought I'd share the information.

Chuck, what do you know about the upcoming Roscoe M?

I just found this on grinningtroll.com hence the Japanese dates. Some interesting stuff:-

2007年2月19日 Enrico Rava "The Words And The Days"

2007年2月26日 Motian / Frisell / Lovano "Time And Time Again"

2007年3月5日 Gianluigi Trovesi "Vaghissimo Ritratto"

2007年3月5日 Dino Saluzzi / Anja Lechner "Ojos Negros"

2007年3月12日 Christian Wallumrød Ensemble "The Zoo Is Far"

2007年3月19日 John Abercrombie "The Third Quartet"

2007年3月19日 Roscoe Mitchell "Composition / Improvisation ..."

2007年3月19日 The Hillard Ensemble "J.S.Bach - Motets, BWV 225-230"

2007年3月26日 Zehetmair Quartett "Bartók No.5 / Hindemith No. 4 ..."

2007年3月26日 Valentin Silvestrov "Symphony No.6 ..."

2007年3月26日 Erkki Sven Tüür "Oxymoron"

2007年4月10日 Tord Gustavsen Trio "Being There"

2007年4月16日 Eberhard Weber "Stages Of A Long Journey"

2007年4月16日 Stefano Battaglia "Re: Pasolini"

2007年4月23日 David Torn "Prezens"

2007年4月30日 John Surman "The Spaces In Between"

2007年5月7日 Herbert Henck "Johan Ludwig Trepulka/Norbert ..."

2007年5月7日 András Schiff "Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas, Vol. 9"

2007年5月14日 Miroslav Vitous "Universal Syncopations II"

2007年5月14日 Paul Bley "In Mondsee"

2007年5月21日 Pablo Márquez "Luiz De Nárvaez"

2007年6月4日 Terje Rypdal / The Hillard Ensemble "Melodic Warrier"

2007年6月11日 Heiner Goebbels "Landschaft mit ... Solists, Choir ..."

2007年6月11日 Morton Feldman / Cikada String Quartet "The Viola In My Life"

2007年6月18日 Masabumi Kikuchi "At Home - Piano Solo"

2007年6月18日 Carla Bley Big Band (title TBA

2007年2月26日 Motian / Frisell / Lovano "Time And Time Again"

2007年3月19日 John Abercrombie "The Third Quartet"

2007年4月16日 Eberhard Weber "Stages Of A Long Journey"

2007年4月23日 David Torn "Prezens"

2007年5月14日 Miroslav Vitous "Universal Syncopations II"

2007年6月4日 Terje Rypdal / The Hillard Ensemble "Melodic Warrier"

2007年6月11日 Morton Feldman / Cikada String Quartet "The Viola In My Life"

Looking forward to the Motian, Frisell Weber, Rypdal and Abercrombie. The Torn has been overdue for a while. I didn't know anything about the Weber, I'm excited about that. I missed the last Vitous, but I should check out the new one.

ECM is a bit late to the Feldman flood aren't they? :lol:

Edited by 7/4

No Garbarek, no Jarrett?

mmmh...Manfred is ageing :cool:

Chuck forgot to mention it but they are both sidemen on the Roscoe Mitchell disc.

Guy

Nah, I don't believe you...

If this is the date I know of, there will be at least one surprising participant.

It starts to sound interesting...Hope this doesn't prevent Chewy to buy the cd.

No Garbarek, no Jarrett?

mmmh...Manfred is ageing :cool:

Chuck forgot to mention it but they are both sidemen on the Roscoe Mitchell disc.

Guy

Nah, I don't believe you...

If this is the date I know of, there will be at least one surprising participant.

I think I know who that participant is - talked to two participants recently in fact, if I'm thinking of the right thing...

I picked up the Rava last week. Much as I love Enrico's playing, it's the same shit as Tati and Easy Living before it.

Just like Stanko's ECM releases of the last 5 years, the compositions, feel, and playing are virtually indistinguishable between all the records. It seems as if nothing by way of a new approach has been attempted. Throw in Rava's Full of Life on Cam Jazz and it's the same thing, once again. Maybe repeated listenings will reveal something different, but based on the first two passes, The Words and the Days plays like background music for when the in-laws visit.

whoa, harsh review of Rava but txxx for candor-- that's the kinda talk we need MORE of 'round this joint. i ain't heard it & sorta hope yr wrong jmjkkjmjkmmjkkjmkjkmjk but there's every possibility yr right... sometimes the ECM sound in it's best known form works well, others time... uh-uh. bring back Steve Kuhn!

edc

Yeah, I hope I warm to it someday, Clem, but right now it's not very engaging.

Wow, your Rava right up is pretty harsh, indeed... I haven't heard any of these studio releases, but a few live shows I heard on radio sounded pretty fine to me. Of course there you don't have ECM sound, but main thing is I thought the tunes were different enough, stuff like "Art Deco", originals like "Sand" and "Happiness is to win the big prize" or the standard, "Nature Boy"... seems like it's wiser to stick with those live shows I know!

Wow, your Rava right up is pretty harsh, indeed... I haven't heard any of these studio releases, but a few live shows I heard on radio sounded pretty fine to me. Of course there you don't have ECM sound, but main thing is I thought the tunes were different enough, stuff like "Art Deco", originals like "Sand" and "Happiness is to win the big prize" or the standard, "Nature Boy"... seems like it's wiser to stick with those live shows I know!

I happened to hear the group live several times, in recent years, and they were far more interesting than on disc (even if the CDs are quite good,, in my opinion). Last time I saw them, in fact, there was Mark Turner added on tenor sax, and the music was great. Maybe ECM should've released a live album.

luca

Disappointment IS harsh, I guess!

For Ss and Gs I spun the disc again this morning. Though the lead off title track is nice, the rest seems very predictable from there. I guess expecting another Pilgrim and the Stars is a lot for ER to live up to, huh? :cool: