Keepnews Collection

cayetano

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that they chose to omit Gazelle when Keepnews himself wrote in the liner notes to the Milestone Years box set that the original plan was to release two live LPs - the second one featuring Gazelle as THE track or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Clem's gonna LOVE this post I picked up from AAJ

picked up the new reissue of Full House. The music is great and the price was right, but as a number of people have suggested in the "Keepnews Collection" thread, the packaging is pretty dreadful. There is even a picture of Keepnews in the tray card (and not a very good one) rather than Montgomery!

That, it seems to me, is the veritable justification of most of what Clem's been saying.

MG

Yeah, putting a picture of Keepnews is a joke.

'Gazelle' is available on the two-fer In Pursuit of Blackness, hopefully not OOP. This is the LP it was on originally.

Here's what their action plan seems to have been:

1) Reissue In Pursuit Of Blackness and Black Is The Color as a two-fer. The two records are complete on the two-fer, I think. Two tracks from the Lighthouse gigs are on the first record, 'Gazelle' and 'Invitation'.

2) The Lighthouse CD is the whole If You're Not... album, plus bonus tracks that were only in the box. They also tossed in 'Invitation', but 'Gazelle' did not fit.

So if you want the whole Lighthouse material, you need both CDs. At least 'Gazelle' is somewhere, not like the missing Mobley tune.

Bertrand.

I don't need Gazelle, I have it both from eMusic and on the Henderson Milestone Years box I bought last month. It's just that I find it funny that they'd leave off the one track that Keepnews praised in particular as being strong enough to be the lead-off track for the second album from those sessions (that was supposedly planned all along, so these weren't just leftovers).

Edited by Kyo

Something is odd.

I went to the Henderson discography at jazzdiscography.com, and they seemed to be saying that ALL the tracks on the Lighthouse CD were on the If You're Not Part... LP. Is this correct?

So, if you have the original vinyl of If You're Not Part..., could you please answer the the following:

1) Which of these tracks on the CD were also on the LP (we know 'Invitation' was not, so I'm leaving it out):

Recorda Me

Carribean Fire Dance

A Shade Of Jade

Isotope

'Round Midnight

Mode For Joe

If You're Not Part Of The Solution, You're Part Of The Problem

Blue Bossa

Isotope (theme)

2) What was the original LP sequence?

Also, it seems the 3 tracks that were on the bootleg Everest LP 'Jazz Patterns' are from the same residency at the Lighthouse, but are not on the CD, probably because Fantasy did not own them. Too bad.

Bertrand.

P.S. Could there have been TWO albums with this title - the original single LP, and a two-fer with bonus tracks including 'Gazelle'?

Edited by bertrand

I've got the original LP, Bertrand.

Tracks are

Side 1

1 Caribbean fire dance 5:37

2 Round midnight 9:02

3 Mode for Joe 8:34

Side 2

1 If you're not part... 11:29

2 Blue bossa 9:45

3 Closing theme 0:47

I put the timings in as per the sleeve, in case the LP cuts had been edited and replaced with full length ones on CD.

MG

So I was right, the CD has the following bonus tracks:

Recorda Me - Shade Of Jade - Isotope

I wonder if there was a 2 LP set with the same name later, which had the 9 tunes I listed plus 'Gazelle' and 'Invitation'. Anyone?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I wonder if there was a 2 LP set with the same name later, which had the 9 tunes I listed plus 'Gazelle' and 'Invitation'. Anyone?

I have no memory of such an issue, although I suppose it's possible that such an item came out waaaay deep into the days of the Milestone "2-fers" & I overlooked it due to the originals still being readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

apologies if this has been posted elsewhere...the next batch of the OK series, available from cduniverse:

Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

Caravan (1962) Available: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Keepnews Col $9.58

Chet Baker

Chet (1959) Available: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Keepnews Collec $9.58

Bill Evans

Everybody Digs Bill Evans (1958) Available: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

$9.58

Jimmy Heath

Really Big (2007) Available: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Keepnews

Edited by montg

The Adderley has two new tracks (including "This Here"), in addition to the "bonus" track on the earlier CD reissues. And Keepnews says (in the notes) that there are 2 more that can still be released if they can find a place to put them. So, this is probably the best issue of this material so far.

in this older post there is a Flora Purim title in addition to the other four...

No great surprises (except that Flora Purim?) in the next batch of the series:

Flora Purim Butterfly Dreams

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Caravan

Chet Baker Chet

Bill Evans Everybody Digs Bill Evans

Jimmy Heath Really Big

The Adderley has two new tracks (including "This Here"), in addition to the "bonus" track on the earlier CD reissues. And Keepnews says (in the notes) that there are 2 more that can still be released if they can find a place to put them. So, this is probably the best issue of this material so far.

Thanks for mentioning this, wasn't aware, will have to look for that one!

Jimmy Heath

Really Big (2007) Available: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Wow! Nice to see this title get the upgrade. I've only heard "Big P" which was on The Riverside Records Story, and I liked that one a lot. It has what I consider to be the quintessential "Riverside sound," if such a thing exists.

I'll definitely be picking this one up! :tup

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up POWER TO THE PEOPLE tonight, and am enjoying it so far (but then I'm still on the first track).

With regard to the picture in the tray: easily fixed by replacing the clear tray with a standard black tray. I just wish I could highlight the words JOE HENDERSON instead of KEEPNEWS COLLECTION, on the side of the tray/jewel case. Henderson's name is in brown, which camouflages real well against the black background.

Opened the booklet, and the first two pages are an intro to the series by OK himself. Skip.

Next is the original liner notes. Read.

Then a section entitled "Power to the People revisited." By OK. Skip.

Bottom line: glad to have this reissue out, as it's my first exposure to this disc, I love the lineup, it sounds great (so far). But you'd never know this was a JOE HENDERSON disc.

In other words, the high esteem in which I used to hold Orrin Keepnews dwindles faster every day as a result of things like this. You've been around a long time; we get it already. Sheesh!

Edited by Big Al

Bob Thiele was another one--like Orrin--whose inflated ego compelled him to give the artists a secondary role. :tdown

Creed Taylor, too?

That's always been my impression. Have I done him an injustice?

MG

Nope. It's been my impression as well.

Yes, Creed, too, but to a lesser extent. Of course, Leonard Feather topped them all when it came to shameless self-promotion. Leonard was also someone who used his column to blackmail record companies into assigning him liner notes.

John Hammond.....well, I won't go there!

All that having been said, some of these guys made genuine contributions, whether driven by ego or the urge and ability to create and preserve.