Keepnews Collection

cayetano

You're right - nothing new. Box sets obviously do not count for single CD reissue producers. There's more on it than on the previous OJC CD, but nothing that wasn't in the Riverside Wes box - and all of that wouldn't fit on one CD!

I was aware of that, but with the OJC sales I picked up a few single releases to go with my ahem... copy of the big one... sort of having less of a bad conscience... :)

Anyway, the prize was right, too, and the album is one of the best of Wes' Riverside output, too - and of course we all love Griffin, too!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right - nothing new. Box sets obviously do not count for single CD reissue producers. There's more on it than on the previous OJC CD, but nothing that wasn't in the Riverside Wes box - and all of that wouldn't fit on one CD!

I was aware of that, but with the OJC sales I picked up a few single releases to go with my ahem... copy of the big one... sort of having less of a bad conscience... :)

Anyway, the prize was right, too, and the album is one of the best of Wes' Riverside output, too - and of course we all love Griffin, too!

I think I can follow you here .... ;) ..... but I'm glad for every single CD I don't have to buy as I am trying to shorten my list of OJC must buys after that terrifying news of the Fantasy tapes being stored by Iron Mountain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so I bought my first CD from the Keepnews Collection, and yeah, he is ALL OVER this reissue series (and as someone pointed out, you catch Keepnews on the spine before the artist) but nonetheless, I picked up Joe's 'Power to the People', which I've never heard before and it is the shit! It seems very much in tune with Mile's 'In a Silent Way' and Foster's 'Manhatten Fever'. I'm really digging this album, and I never thought I catch myself sayin' this, but I dig the electric tracks more than the acoustic tracks! Great stuff, and I'm glad its availlable at midprice!

• 3 months later...

You're right about that, Chuck. The specific case I'm wondering about is Russell's EZZ-THETICS--Martin Williams is identified as the author of "notes reproduced from the original album liner." I'm buying the reissue tomorrow morning (mostly for the extra master and its alternate) and will probably make a Xerox of Martin's notes just in case they aren't carried over.

You're right about that, Chuck. The specific case I'm wondering about is Russell's EZZ-THETICS--Martin Williams is identified as the author of "notes reproduced from the original album liner." I'm buying the reissue tomorrow morning (mostly for the extra master and its alternate) and will probably make a Xerox of Martin's notes just in case they aren't carried over.

Re-writing Martin Williams liner notes----now that ought to be punishable with jail time.

Re-writing Martin Williams liner notes----now that ought to be punishable with jail time.

Martin Williams' original liner notes are included in the new edition, and are worth reading or rereading. I found that Orin Keepnews' notes were worth reading just for the information about George Russell's use of editing and because they mention that Cannonball Adderley recommended that Keepnews hear the Russell band. Cannonball had bigger ears than I had suspected (and I'm glad that he did).