Let's Reopen Old Wounds!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nostalgia rules! :(

Thing is, I actually prefer this board. I guess I sometimes feel nostalgic for BNBB as my doorway to jazz discussion on the Internet, but... hardly ever think about it that way now.

As far as I am concerned, there is no comparision. This is jazz talk without the commercial product and company reputation BS. In retrospect, we were blessed that the Blue Note site shut down. Otherwise, we might still be there.

Well, OK, the Blue Note board was pretty darn bitchin' place before the Norah wave of female coodie infiltration. :D

Edited by John L

Norah in the new Rolling Stone:

RS: Is it odd to you that Come Away With Me is the best-selling album in Blue Note's history?

Norah: I don't consider myself in the same league as all those great old records. That album wasn't made with pop goals, but it was made with different goals than most of those jazz records. I consider myself lucky.

RS: What's your favorite Blue Note record?

Norah: I really like Somethin' Else, the Cannonball Adderley record. It starts out so creepy - in a good way - and it's really mellow. When I signed, I was also really into the Cassandra Wilson album New Moon Daughter. Great record.

Edited by Alexander

That album wasn't made with pop goals, but it was made with different goals than most of those jazz records.

And that, dear friends, is something that is so obvious, yet so overlooked by so many when it comes to "other musics" & "comparing" them.

I'm not a big Norah Jones fan, but I got the fullest respect for that comment.

That album wasn't made with pop goals, but it was made with different goals than most of those jazz records.

And that, dear friends, is something that is so obvious, yet so overlooked by so many when it comes to "other musics" & "comparing" them.

I'm not a big Norah Jones fan, but I got the fullest respect for that comment.

Yes. And it's back to what Braxton was saying.

MG

Jim S.,

Thanks for posting this article. I can't say I give it too much credence, though. How the hell could I when the guy didn't even interview the most important poster on the old BNBB... Duke E. Coleman!

I miss ol' Dookie! Wish he'd found his way here to the big O... :P

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

I guess I don't understand why they put Al Green or Norah Jones on the Blue Note imprint. The label has a legendary jazz history...why muddy the waters? Al Green is the man...but can't the EMI umbrella find a more fitting label? Same with Norah.... I think that's really the issue here. If Led Zeppelin reunited under the Blue Note label, would that be cool? :blink:

I guess I don't understand why they put Al Green or Norah Jones on the Blue Note imprint. The label has a legendary jazz history...why muddy the waters? Al Green is the man...but can't the EMI umbrella find a more fitting label? Same with Norah.... I think that's really the issue here. If Led Zeppelin reunited under the Blue Note label, would that be cool? :blink:

Maybe we should be glad they did? As a reissue only outfit it might have been dropped by EMI.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I've really had it with genres. I used to keep my collection organized by genre, but I've dropped all such distinctions and let everything co-mingle. So, in answer to your last question, I don't think I would have a problem with a reunited Zeppelin recording for Blue Note...

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I've really had it with genres. I used to keep my collection organized by genre, but I've dropped all such distinctions and let everything co-mingle. So, in answer to your last question, I don't think I would have a problem with a reunited Zeppelin recording for Blue Note...

Yeah - historically, record labels have been two things:

1) a marketing tool for aiming specific types of music at specific markets; and

2) something like a statement of purpose of the proprietor(s).

Generally, 2) have been independent labels and the jazz, blues, gospel, R&B & C&W worlds are full of them. But about the only ones of the great indie labels in these markets left standing are Delmark and Nessa. The others have all been taken over by Corporate America, at which point they become 1). And at that point, they have no further value as going concerns. Only the catalogue that they produced before being submerged has any value. So, yes, EMI can sign whoever they like to Blue Note; can revive labels like Aladdin, Imperial, Black & White etc etc and sign whoever they like to those labels. And it won't matter a damn. Because 1) is actually of no real consequence to music fans.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

There's a record store here in town that refuses to seperate the CDs by genre. So you have to go from A-Z of every conceivable kind of music to "browse." There's a reason there are genres, because it's a practical application. Play me a record, and I could tell you a genre it belongs in. I don't care what people want to pretend. There ain't nuthin' new under the sun. No matter how genre-bending an album might be it still fits somwhere. Music is music at it's heart.... But Paleaaase, when I want to find something, give me a reference point. Blue Note is one of the greatest and only pure jazz labels in history. EMI is so big they could put any artist on any imprint...why does it matter to them. I think it just damages the brand, to put it in marketing terms which is, like it or not, what we're REALLY talking about here. It's not music to these people, it's product.

So a psychiatrist said that there is a strong male identity to jazz forums and the members feel threatened by females.

Comments?

I agree, actually I keep my Billie Holiday's and Ella's box sets in a strong iron cage, they aren't allow to get out without a muzzle and a short leash.

There's a record store here in town that refuses to seperate the CDs by genre. So you have to go from A-Z of every conceivable kind of music to "browse." There's a reason there are genres, because it's a practical application. Play me a record, and I could tell you a genre it belongs in. I don't care what people want to pretend. There ain't nuthin' new under the sun. No matter how genre-bending an album might be it still fits somwhere. Music is music at it's heart.... But Paleaaase, when I want to find something, give me a reference point.

I couldn't disagree more...

Well, I guess I could, but I won't. I just disagree. -_-

It's not music to these people, it's product.

SS, with all due respect, one could use that exact phrase to criticize separating music into different genres.

I think its ridiculous to get criticized for expecting a record store to organize stock by genre. Do you really want to go through every musician or group whose name begins with M to find Hank Mobley CDs

Its a simple method of time-saving. And yes, Jim, part of selling "product" is making it easier to find for the customer.

I agree with MG about record labels, but the facts are facts: After the re-launch of BN, their corporate masters did a lot to make Blue Note synonymous with the era it came to (some) prominence in. They are free to put whoever they want on the label but does anyone doubt that Norah diminishes the image of a "jazz label"?