Let's Reopen Old Wounds!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry pathetic loser is strong but really...who gives a shit about these people and places of the digital past? why keep whining about slights real and imagined? none of this is real or meaningful. it is casual and fun!!!!

Is your avatar Vincent Schiavelli or Jeff Van Gundy?

acteur-vincent-schiavelli-overleden-229.jpg2251715929_Rockets_Van_Gundy_Fired_Basketballx.jpg

sorry pathetic loser is strong but really...who gives a shit about these people and places of the digital past? why keep whining about slights real and imagined? none of this is real or meaningful. it is casual and fun!!!!

It's part of the Natural Cycle Of CyberJazz Dysfunctionality - BNBB Angst, Wynton Rage, "Why Isn't Jazz More Popular", "What Is Jazz", and a few other Dearly Beloveds, they mark the changing of the seasons and let us know that no matter what else happens, we'll always have these. Like the blowing of tommy sands through an hourglass, these are the daze of our lifestyles.

And resistance is futile.

acteur-vincent-schiavelli-overleden-229.jpg2251715929_Rockets_Van_Gundy_Fired_Basketballx.jpg

Harvey Pekar

bio_pekar01.gif

Don't drink or smoke anymore, don't have a fantasy team, and I kinda like to let it linger rather than shake it off, but believe me when I tell you that I've been laughing my ass of at this whole thing, including my part in it, and especially the predictability of who's gonna show up and say what about what.

It's reassuring, man, reassuring!

Beat me to it, Marcello. I thought that it was Pekar also.

Harvey Pekar

bio_pekar01.gif

Guest Bill Barton

Being "relatively" new here I gotta say that things - as Alice said - just get curiouser and curiouser. Are we trapped in a digital timewarp? Is there a way out?

29480585-177x150-0-0.jpg

I've been skimming through the archives around here, and actually read this thread a couple days ago, buried way back in the archives. I always wondered what had happened on the Blue Note Message board as it has come up in various conversations I've seen on-line for years. Then the next day or so I find it up here. I got no dogs in the fight, just this startling true confession... I bought the first Norah Jones album when it first came out because I was such a big fan of Tony Sherr and Kenny Wollesen. Soon after I gave up on being a Slow Poke completist! :unsure: )

Whew... glad I got that off my chest. :w

Hey marketer guy, if you are still reading, here is the analogy to Blue Note signing Norah that you were looking for: If Concord records reactivated the Riverside imprint and put out the Michael Bolton Sings Sinatra on Riverside. The situation was waay different than Herbie pulling a Santana.

cool. it just seems some people have been bringing a false gravitas to the board recently. the way i feel about tony malaby solos and often joe lovano solos.

:lol:

That is too fucking funny... [my boldface]

DM's been on a bit of a roll lately, I have to admit!

Guest Bill Barton

cool. it just seems some people have been bringing a false gravitas to the board recently. the way i feel about tony malaby solos and often joe lovano solos.

:lol:

That is too fucking funny... [my boldface]

:rofl:

False gravitas as opposed to "real" gravitas? [my italics]

Sometimes it's a little difficult to tell the difference, eh?

450px-Irony.jpg

motivational_poster_irony.jpg

irony.JPG

Andy, do you actually think your Mom cares one bit about the fact that platter is on BN? :D

So what's the point?

Personally, I don't care too much about that either (BN ain't what it used to be back at Alfred Lion's times any more anyway - not by a long shot) but what I find odd is that some "suits" out there seem to be intent on marketing acts like Norah Jones as "jazz".

THIS she ain't. Just pop, that's fine enough for what it is and there's nothing wrong with it if you go for that kind of music but in the same manner as with that "smooth jazz" debate going on elsewhere the real jazz fans (jazz being a wide enough field anyway, stylistically speaking) are perfectly entitled to objecting against this muddling of stylistic terms.

Or to put it another way, is it any wonder that not everybody is all that happy about certain people calling virtually anything "jazz" just because some sales smarties figure this is a tag that equals more sales (not that it would attract more actual jazz fans but rather because lukewarm pseudo-sophisticated smoothies can bask in the sunlight of the oh so hip "jazz" status, claiming "Hey, I am a jazz listener too")?

DM is a "soulful black cat," indeed.

i got in a fight with a young woman...a short dumpy mama (not white) in the bad sense at a party last weekend when she asked me what i was drinking and i said "a 40" and she said "a 40 of what?" and i said "olde english" and she said "yeah, white people like to drink that" and i was like "no they don't" and she was like "yes they do" and i was like "well i disagree and i am not white, anyway" and she said "you're not? what are you?" and i said "jewish" and she said "then you're white" and then i said "i disagree with everything you are saying" and she said "i'm going to blog about this" and i was about to flip out but my friend who's birthday it was asked me to keep calm so i did, though i did seethe silently for the rest of the night. white people do not like 40s and the only reason i bought olde english was that it was the only brand of malt liquor the nearest bodega offered. but any party (mostly white, generally) i go to, a 40 will get stupid comments like "oh i haven't seen that since college" like it is crazy i would prefer the sweeter and MUCH more economical 40 or two of malt liquor to some sort of cheesy and bitter six pack of "lager" or "ale" when purchasing by booze of choice for the night.

DM is a "soulful black cat," indeed.

i got in a fight with a young woman...a short dumpy mama (not white) in the bad sense at a party last weekend when she asked me what i was drinking and i said "a 40" and she said "a 40 of what?" and i said "olde english" and she said "yeah, white people like to drink that" and i was like "no they don't" and she was like "yes they do" and i was like "well i disagree and i am not white, anyway" and she said "you're not? what are you?" and i said "jewish" and she said "then you're white" and then i said "i disagree with everything you are saying" and she said "i'm going to blog about this" and i was about to flip out but my friend who's birthday it was asked me to keep calm so i did, though i did seethe silently for the rest of the night. white people do not like 40s and the only reason i bought olde english was that it was the only brand of malt liquor the nearest bodega offered. but any party (mostly white, generally) i go to, a 40 will get stupid comments like "oh i haven't seen that since college" like it is crazy i would prefer the sweeter and MUCH more economical 40 or two of malt liquor to some sort of cheesy and bitter six pack of "lager" or "ale" when purchasing by booze of choice for the night.

What's the blogsite? Since we are a crazed swarm of angry enthusiasts, we might find a new home. And, off we could go like a plague of locusts descending on the unsuspecting site. We Blue Note fanatics could swamp the smaller site unaccustomed to the large mass and crash their modest server. Since the Blue Note mob brought down every other jazz site it landed on due to their numbers and massive usage, we might also bring the ire up of the blogosphere; and I really don't give a rat's ass if these other communities start complaining about the rude Blue Noters that invade them like a conquering horde.