Brew Moore

Durium

Bringing this thread back on topic , I expect that we will soon see one of the European public domain labels give us , " the complete early Brew Moore sessions " . This would be welcome for a couple of reasons . First it would include the Brew Moore Savoy 10-inch tracks that were reissued on a double-LP in the mid-seventies called , ' Brothers and other Mothers ' . Second it would include this record that Fantasy reissued on OJC vinyl in the early eighties but never got around to issuing on CD :

BrewMooreonFantasy.jpg

One track on this LP has Brew with Cal Tjader and Vince Guaraldi recorded on a gig at UCLA . Such orphan tracks always leave one wondering if there might be more material awaiting issue .

Wow — didn't even know that one existed (the LP pictured above). I always assumed that Moore just had the one title on Fantasy — the one that made it into the OJC series. That one's nice. Who's on the other Fantasy session?

Oh yeah — I've always thought that Moore should have had a tune called "Brew Moore Coffee," or maybe "Brew Moore Beer." Maybe he did and I just haven't checked any discographies. :crazy:

Anyone know what the original cover to Svingtet 14 looked like? Just curious.

The pictured album indeed is a nice one. Originally issued as Fantasy 3264. In translucent red vinyl ! Like many Fantasy releases. Exept the track with cal Tjader other are with Harold Wylie (sax), John Markham (dr), John Mosher, (b), John Marabuto (p).

"Fools Rush In" from the other Brew Moore Fantasay LP (which was reissued as OJC CD) is from the same Universty of California concert, although not credited as such in the liner. Tjader is not on the track, but Eddie Duran is etc.

Edited by mikeweil

"Fools Rush In" from the other Brew Moore Fantasay LP (which was reissued as OJC CD) is from the same UCLA concert, although not credited as such in the liner.

Not correct .

Ralph J. Gleason in the liner notes says Fools Rush In was recorded , " at the University of California in August of 1955 " .

Fitzgerald lists it as being recorded at the University of California , San Franciso , August 1955 .

The live track Dues Blues with Tjader and Guaraldi , was recorded at UCLA in January 1958 . Fitzgerald gives the location as " University College of Los Angeles " which I take to be UCLA ( University of California , Los Angeles ) .

Yeah, it is silly!

It would be ideal if the CD reissue was packaged

with original cover/liner notes. If more/extra material,

Great!!!

I'll keep my copy of the Moore Debut LP!!

And the Fantasy Debut Series issue LP.

Both with the groovy

Covers!! (Heck, I'm a vinyl guy, no apologies.)

Love it all...

---HB

Edited by Horny Blowsitt

"Fools Rush In" from the other Brew Moore Fantasy LP (which was reissued as OJC CD) is from the same Universty of California concert, although not credited as such in the liner.

Not correct .

Ralph J. Gleason in the liner notes says Fools Rush In was recorded , " at the University of California in August of 1955 " .

Fitzgerald lists it as being recorded at the University of California , San Franciso , August 1955 .

The live track Dues Blues with Tjader and Guaraldi , was recorded at UCLA in January 1958 . Fitzgerald gives the location as " University College of Los Angeles " which I take to be UCLA ( University of California , Los Angeles ) .

Gleason is correct, but didn't specify the town. My info is from the board member "tjader biographer" - he is working on a Tjader bio and I assist him with the discographical part. He has interviewed about every still living musician associated with Tjader, Dean Reilly in this case, and these are the results for that session:

- Brew Moore / The Brew Moore Quintet -: Brew Moore (tenor saxophone) Cal Tjader (vibes -1) Vince Guaraldi (piano) Eddie Duran (guitar -2) Dean Reilly (bass) Bobby White (drums)

Concert, University of California, Berkeley, California, August 1955

Dues Blues -1 Fantasy 3-264, Original Jazz Classics OJC-049

Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread) -2 Fantasy 3-222, Original Jazz Classics OJC-100, OJCCD-100-2

Note: According to the liner notes of Fantasy 3-264 trombonist Bob Collins also performed at this concert; but Dean Reilly could not recall that Collins was present. Reilly also confirmed Duran’s presence at this concert. Bob Collins confirmed his absence, but remembered a duo concert with Tjader at the same university at a different date.

"Fools Rush In" was recorded at this concert according to information from Dean Reilly; other titles recorded remain unissued. The Fantasy LP liner credits and commonly available discographies attribute "Fools Rush In" to a 1955 Brew Moore session with different personnel, but Bruyninckx interestingly added Eddie Duran in a later edition although Duran is not mentioned on the album liner. Bruyninckx lists a recording date of January 1958 or early 1958 for Dues Blues. Reilly cannot exactly remember but leans towards 1955; Ralph J. Gleason’s liner notes on Fantasy 3-222 clearly say „August of 1955“.

Another track on a Crown LP, Journey’s End, is attributed to this session in the Bruyninckx and Lord discographies, but aural comparison shows it is identical to Land’s End from the January 20, 1957 session at The Blackhawk.

Edited by mikeweil

Fitzgerald gives the location as " University College of Los Angeles " which I take to be UCLA ( University of California , Los Angeles ) .

It was Berkeley, not LA. Which "Fitzgerald - Michael? Source, please ....

Yes Michael Fitzgerald .

Re: Dues Blues , does Bruninckx list the location as " University College of Los Angeles " ? If yes , then perhaps Michael is guilty of recapitulating an error found in Bruninckx , which would be an irony indeed , since Michael has always been quick to point out Lord's tendency to uncritically incorporate such errors . The odd use of " University College of Los Angeles " in place of the correct " University of California , Los Angeles " might lead one to suspect a larger error . While Dean Reilly may understandably have trouble being sure about the year , presumably he would have an easier time recalling in what city Dues Blues was recorded . If he has ruled out Los Angeles , then it seems likely that Fitzgerald has both the location and date wrong . Pointing in that direction is Bay-Area-resident Gleason's use of " University of California " in the liners on Fantasy 3-264 . Though what does it say about the reliability of Gleason's notes , when he lists Collins who wasn't at the concert , but omits Duran who was ?

• 2 years later...

Per Chas' prior comment:

Brew Moore: the Kerouac Connection

Picked this one up in Indpls this afternoon at Luna Music on Massachusetts Avenue. Don't know if it's "complete" early Brew, but it does gather some of the Savoy sides + a fair # of appearances with Machito. It's Volume 2 in Giant Steps/Cherry Red's "Gray Boys" series (Allen Eager was V. 1):

brewmoore.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

I also like the way how Brew Moore managed to keep his own style when playing with some of the fastest players of the bop-movement, like he did with Miles Davis at Birdland 1950 (with J.J.Johnson, Fats Navarro, Tadd Dameron, Art Blakey), with Howard McGhee for BlueNote, and his partnership with Howard McGhee on some Machito recordings (also live dates).

From his time in Denmark, I got a rare example of Brew Moore playing with Bud Powell. It reminds me of the Bud Powell/Zoot Sims collaboration, another example of a Lestorian tenorist doing a fine set with the Master of Bebop-Piano.

Here it is:

Fruscella_Moore_LP.jpg

edit to add: don't know if the covers here are rare or anything but I had a good time looking at them: (you have to click at the letters to get to the lists of artists starting with that letter)

http://www.positifs.org/jazz-passion/8-deq...chdisqindex.htm

I could not believe that Brew Moore had been recorded live at the Open Door. Mid 1953. This is the same year we have

Bird playing there with Monk, Roy Haynes and Mingus. Bob Parent's beautiful pictures.

This was billed as the Tony Fruscella Quintet

Tony, Brew, Bill Triglia, Teddy Kotick and Art Mardigan.

The sound quality is surprisingly good. Side One as two long tracks : Sometimes I'm Happy and Blue Lester.

Side Two as three tracks : Hackensack, Imagination and Donna.

I love this recording. Brew blows so nice on Hackensack.

How I wish Paul Haines had recorded Bird there ;)

Denis

• 2 months later...