Ken McIntyre

Morganized

Spotted a Blue Note two-fer of his UA releases...

d90279o9u39.jpg

As there was no way to listen to it can someone share an opinion about this release.

Thanks

Buy, Buy, Buy !

Two excellent and rare UA albums on there. 'Way, Way Out' (wonderful session with strings) and 'Year of the Iron Sheep', quartet with Jaki Byard plus some other goodish material (previously unreleased) with Byard and John Mancebo Lewis. A very fine twofer !

It is well OOP by the way. It already was when I picked up my own copy. Eventually I came across it, totally unexpected and at discount, at a small shop on the Isle of Guernsey. :)

Edited by sidewinder

A superb musical package. It is indeed very much out-of-print, and will likely not be coming back into print for some time, I would imagine.

The music, particularly the "with strings" portion, is a revelation. You'll have to get used to McIntyre's oboe playing, though. It's not to some listeners' taste, but I don't have a problem with it. I've never heard a "with strings" album that is so well integrated as this one. McIntyre doesn't simply "solo" over the strings. Instead, he often uses the strings for ostinato effect, and even call-and-response. I adore the session, and I think McIntyre gives all he's got on it. Others will disagree, no doubt, but for me it's the highlight of the package.

Buy it and give it some time. It rewards repeated, and close, listening.

"Way, Way Out" is a favorite of mine. Late nails it. Credit goes to those involved for the extremely potent string arrangements, which rank among the more effective "contexts" within which Makanda played. It's all much more of a concerto than a spontaneous ensemble music (and that might even apply to the traditional "rhythm section", which doesn't take to many risks), but the McIntyre blows his heart out. Phenomenal writing and playing...

The two dates available (?) on OJC are also quite good, but Stone Blues is somewhat more conventional than the knotty hard/post-bop that McIntyre is known for. The date with Dolphy is great, and the two altos match up pretty well.

I purchased the two UA originals soon after they came out. 'Way, Way Out' was in a $0,25 cutout bin!

The double CD added very welcome material to those two albums.

As Late already mentioned, the music needs repeated listening to really get into but it is a very rewarding experience!

'Way, Way Out' was in a $0,25 cutout bin!

I thought I was doing well with my $20 copy of the LP ! :o

'Iron Sheep' turned out a bit pricier though.

Found the 'Iron Sheep' original during one of my regular visits to the Porte de Clignancourt flea market which was vinyl heaven back in the pre-CD days. Cost me more than a quarter but less than $20 ;)

Aaah those were the days!

• 1 year later...

Spotted a Blue Note two-fer of his UA releases...

d90279o9u39.jpg

As there was no way to listen to it can someone share an opinion about this release.

Thanks

Surprisngly I saw this in a B&N bargain bin a couple of years ago for $7.98 new; of course I bought that in a split second! :excited: Besides this, I have him on Beaver Harris' Beautiful Africa and he is wonderful there. Great music, great musician!

Edited by Holy Ghost