The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

I don't think that Schilling gives away any real strategy in his blog, because each game and each batter is supposed to get a new strategy of how to get him out. Revealing something about it afterwards isn't telling that much about strategy. Plus, he rarely describes the full sequence of an at-bat, he usually just talks about the pitch he got the out on. Any advance scout who is charting his pitches knows all there is to know about his strategy and approach, he doesn't need to consult the blog. That's why Schilling and Tek work on new strategies with each start.

As for the venom, it is there because of his ludicrous and now utterly laughable assertion about expecting to be the number one pitcher on that staff, and if that means winning 25 because Beckett wins 24, so be it. At this point, it would take extraordinary run support for Schilling to get 15 wins. He's the number 4 pitcher, barely, and with the Yankees winning, we need him to be what he was.

And honestly, right now I would rather keep Tavarez, DL Schilling and bring up Lester or even Gabbard. Tavarez has been a far more consistent pitcher than Schilling, and despite facing other team's aces more often than anyone else on the staff, he's managed to keep the team in games very consistently - he's had an ERA under 4 in his past five starts, iirc.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now its official:

Schilling Returns to Boston for Precautionary MRI

Can hardly blame the team for being a bit alarmed at his inability to reach 90 mph in his 80 pitches last night. And maybe this will allow him to get his shit together so that no one has to suffer through a start quite so horrible again. In the meantime, presuming that the MRI shows something and he skips a start or goes on the DL, I am perfectly comfortable seeing Lester or even Gabbard take his spot.

As for the venom, it is there because of his ludicrous and now utterly laughable assertion about expecting to be the number one pitcher on that staff, and if that means winning 25 because Beckett wins 24, so be it.

True, that was laughable. To tell you truth I only read a few blurbs from him a year, so I'm not as plugged into the annoyances of his pontificating. I just thought with so few remaining players from the '04 team left perhaps there'd be more of the warm fuzzies & concern about him.

Turned on the Angels game just in time to see Chone Figgins get his sixth hit in six at bats, a walk-off double to score a runner from first with two down. He's only the second Angel in history to go 6-6.

Turned on the Angels game just in time to see Chone Figgins get his sixth hit in six at bats, a walk-off double to score a runner from first with two down. He's only the second Angel in history to go 6-6.

Hahaha, just realized this was a replay of last night's game. Oh well. :lol:

I don't know if there is a "natural trend" for him to get worse as the weather heats up. There wasn't in 2004, and in 2002 his best months were July & August. Lifetime his best month is August. Sure all that reflects a younger guy....

Well, ESPN had an interesting stat: games with 5 ER or more prior to the ASB. Schilling's numbers are 2, 3, 3, and .... 5 already this year. Anyway you slice it, that's not a pretty stat.

Thank heaven Beckett went back to business as usual last night, and the Yanks lost so we're back to a 9 game lead.

Well, ESPN had an interesting stat: games with 5 ER or more prior to the ASB. Schilling's numbers are 2, 3, 3, and .... 5 already this year. Anyway you slice it, that's not a pretty stat.

Getting older hurts. :P

Well, at least the MRI shows no damage. Maybe some rest will help. Look at this way, if the arm/shoulder heals and if his ego could handle it he could be a great #4 come playoff time, at least if you're a believer in "experience."

Zambrano's sparring partner is shipped to San Diego. Maybe he can mix it up with David Wells now. :lol:

Its now official that Schilling will not pitch on Sunday. With Thursday's offday, Beckett comes back on regular rest to take that spot, and Tavarez would pitch Monday in Seattle. That leaves Tuesday as a TBA, and that also happens to be Lester's scheduled turn for Pawtucket. That would seem the obvious move unless they really think that Lester still needs time in AAA before getting the call. I'm sure he'd be thrilled if he gets the call, he's from Washington state so it would allow him to make his return to the majors in front of plenty of friends and family.

Edit to add that Schilling initially feared that he had re-injured his labrum in that, when that happened previously, he had the same experience of throwing in the 90s and then inexplicably throwing in the 80s. The difference was that when he was seriously injured, he didn't feel pain when the velocity dropped but did feel it the following morning. This time, no pain. So that explains the "clean" MRI. If we're lucky its nothing worse than lingering dead arm period and he can return to some semblance of his usual self.

As far as Lester goes, it will be interesting what they do to make room on the roster. Logic dictates that you disable Schilling but if they feel that he won't need the full 15 days, they may not want to do that, in which case they'll have to do something in the bullpen. Only Lopez has options left; only Timlin deserves to be released.

Edited by Dan Gould

anyone know how mlb pays the players?

monthly?

:huh:

Players are paid bi-monthly, on the 1st and 15th, but their entire salary is paid over the six months of the regular season. So if you're making, say, 12 million a "year" you will get paid a million dollars on the 1st and 15th, April through September. The only thing I may be wrong on is the start and end dates. For regular people, you get paid for the work you've performed. That suggests that players get paid starting the 15th of April and carrying through to the 1st of October.

Well my question about the roster is moot: Schilling was placed on the DL moments ago. Tito said they would be cautious about it, so this is no surprise really. I am guessing that Big Schill will finally get around to a blog entry now that he's pretty much done with the doctors for the time being. Its just as well - if he had posted about his start right afterwards, as he usually has done, I was going to give him a piece of my mind about his status as "ace" and his worthiness of another contract. Now that we know he's hurt, I think I'll keep my prior thoughts to myself and just hope he gets healthy and can pitch effectively when he comes back.

Dan, hope Schilling is ok. Mike Gonzalez was lights out, had some pain in his elbow, 2 MRI's showing no problem. Was pain free, pitching great, then had a 80+ fastball all of the sudden, but no pain(right away) 3rd MRI showed he needed Tommy John surgery....good sign he didn't feel pain the next day though...

Oh, and look out tonight, we actually have a chance! We have benched Willie Mays,(Scott Boros was saying that the other day!) AKA Andruw Jones!! .202 BA. Guess they want him to slip under .200 against the Tigers.

monthly?

Players are paid bi-monthly, on the 1st and 15th, but their entire salary is paid over the six months of the regular season. So if you're making, say, 12 million a "year" you will get paid a million dollars on the 1st and 15th, April through September. The only thing I may be wrong on is the start and end dates. For regular people, you get paid for the work you've performed. That suggests that players get paid starting the 15th of April and carrying through to the 1st of October.

Must be rough having to budget for the entire winter.

monthly?

Sorry kids, no Christmas this year.

Dan, hope Schilling is ok. Mike Gonzalez was lights out, had some pain in his elbow, 2 MRI's showing no problem. Was pain free, pitching great, then had a 80+ fastball all of the sudden, but no pain(right away) 3rd MRI showed he needed Tommy John surgery....good sign he didn't feel pain the next day though...

Oh, and look out tonight, we actually have a chance! We have benched Willie Mays,(Scott Boros was saying that the other day!) AKA Andruw Jones!! .202 BA. Guess they want him to slip under .200 against the Tigers.

Is Jones in his walk year? If so, he picked a bad year to have a crummy season!

Is Jones in his walk year? If so, he picked a bad year to have a crummy season!

Yeah, and with Boras as his agent, at his age, he should be close to A-Rod dollars.

I'm finding it interesting that there is all this talk about the three major CF free agents (Ichiro, Andruw and Hunter) and Boston when they've got the superstar phenom, Ellsbury, getting his finishing school work done at Pawtucket. Of course, this could be the off-season that Manny is finally moved, and I'm certain they will do whatever is necessary to clear Coco out but still ... if you're going to talk about building up the minor league system and produce a prospect as good as Ellsbury, why are people talking about Ichiro or Andruw as targets?

monthly?

Not to mention the extra two weeks of the season before that first check hits.

Fortunately I believe they get a food per diem of like $300.

What was that about having a chance tonight? :P:g

I had a feeling your guy would have trouble with the lineup. Gotta say, seeing Drew and Coco start to hit, and Manny and Papi hit for power, gives me a much better feeling about holding off the Yankees. And I saw the one stat that shows how improved the pitching is: 6 shutouts so far this year, equal to all of last year.

Another save for Cordero.

Brewers back to 10 games over .500.

I know none of you give a crap (obsessed as you are with the Red Sox, Yankees, etc.), but I find it kind of intriguing. :cool::P

Are you kidding? I'm thrilled the Brew-crew are having a banner year! I'm even more excited for Coco, proving once again that any pitcher that gets out of the incompetence of the Rangers "organization" always flourishes.

[

What was that about having a chance tonight? :P:g

I had a feeling your guy would have trouble with the lineup. Gotta say, seeing Drew and Coco start to hit, and Manny and Papi hit for power, gives me a much better feeling about holding off the Yankees. And I saw the one stat that shows how improved the pitching is: 6 shutouts so far this year, equal to all of last year.

bfinger.gif

:P

Yeah, we are a weird team. After the first game of the series, we were 3-1 against the AL central leader, and the AL east leader...then shut out back to back nights! You expect it from Beckett, but from Tavarez???

Hope you got to see some of the brilliance of Bobby Cox, leaving in a starter till there is a 7 run lead in the 2nd, leaving the hottest hitters on the team (Next to Edgar) on the bench(rookies Salty and Escobar) for the series. Not that we need offense, clearly we are a terror with Thorman and McCann in there,(Hey, McCann hit a 85 MPH pitch for a homer, he is back!) and Chipper saying he can only hit singles right now.

And who can forget bringing in future closer Soriano in during a blowout, something he has had problems with all year(He even says he has trouble concentrating when the game is not on the line) and what do you know, he gives up a bunch of runs!

I don't care if he is the manager most players in baseball want to play for, or how many games he has won, he is not the guy you want to help you win when it really matters ...he is the Gary Sheffield, the A-Rod of Managers....

And if we trade Salty, or Escobar for anything less than a teams #1 starting prospect, I will just start following the cubs, or Cards again....