June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

June 5th 2007 Connoisseurs

Andrew Hill-- Change

Jimmy Smith-- Straight Life

Kenny Cox-- Introducing Kenny Cox

Frank Foster-- Manhattan Fever

Stanley Turrentine-- Blues for Del

I just realized that I'll probably end up getting all of those. Nice batch, Smithville or no Smithville. :D

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really, more revelatory than some of JOS' 1957-8 sides? I think the sides like "Groovin at Smalls" feature some of his most stunning playing on records.

No...not more revelatory than THAT! Hell, NOTHING is! :D But, I just think a session left in the can from 1961 of Jimmy, Q. Warren and Donald Bailey has GOT to be a great session. I always think some of Jimmy's best years were '60-'63 ish. "Best" is a silly word. But he was finding the essence of what would become the style that would remain with him until the end of his life during this period imho. Anyway, enough academic b.s....let's hear that tape!

I hope its a good session, sessions like "Bucket" with that trio dissapointed me. Although my favorite album with this group is "Crazy! Baby"

I think it will be a very good session. Bucket and Rockin The Boat...which have a similar feel and some don't dig all that much, were made it seems in haste so Jimmy could go to Verve. That said, I really love Bucket and RTB....Jimmy just didn't make bad records to my ears! :g

I got Bucket just yesterday and I have to agree with CJ, it does seem pretty boring so far.

I think you have to have a different vibe when you put on Bucket or Rockin' The Boat or Prayer Meeting. I mean....Come Rain Or Come Shine from Bucket is surely as wonderful of playing as Jimmy Smith ever got in many ways. That said, I think if you listen to those albums with your "blues" ears more than your "jazz" ears you'll be more satisfied. I know Bucket gets kicked around a little for the sameness of beats on it, and I can't disagree on that, but there is 'gold in them thar hills' too. :D

• 1 month later...

Tokyo Live would be a great Connoiseur.

That's the only Tony Williams album on Blue Note that's not out on CD yet, right?

I'm a bit saddened that Louis Smith's Smithville did not make the final list

after all. Maybe next time. I really like "Here Comes Louis Smith", the

band on Smithville is great and even though it's already out in Japan there

are two leftover tracks from that session that should be on the Connoisseur disc.

Agreed. I too am a fan of Here Comes Louis Smith, and would love to see Smithville re-issued domesticly, RVG or Conn.

I couldn't find any info on Andrew Hill - Changes.

Is it a new album or an unissued album? <_<

It's a quartet album w/Sam Rivers, previously released under the name Involution.

Guy

Anyone know for sure if the Conn will have all eight tracks from the Mosaic? I would suspect the answer is yes, just checking. If so, that means all the music from the Mosaic will have been reissued on BN.

I have to say the BN reissue program has been outstanding over the last few years. There are still some albums that I'd really like to see out, but it's nothing like it was in, say, 1999.

Plus 'Involution' is the name of a song on the Sam Rivers session that was the other half of the two-fer of which the Andrew Hill session was a part.

That would be as illogical as referring to the 1968 Booker Ervin Blue Note session as Back From The Gig.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Since the issue of "Involution" they have discovered the original name was "Changes". Seems good to me.

Well that's a good reason. Thanks.

Maybe just a new marketing strategy.....Let's see.....we'll just change the name and add new art work and maybe we can get them to buy the same thing just one more time! :o:o Of course the "new" ones will have louder colors......

It's just a joke guys. :g:g just a joke. I can't keep from buying doubles even with the same name and art work....don't tell me I'm the only one!

Edited by Morganized

Plus 'Involution' is the name of a song on the Sam Rivers session that was the other half of the two-fer of which the Andrew Hill session was a part.

:wacko:

:lol:

I had to slowly read that sentence, break it apart into fragments, assign meaning to each fragment, and then fuse all the meanings together into one cohesive thought. Whew!