June 2007 Connoisseurs

Late

I read at plattenladen.com:

"low cost delivery: worldwide for only £1.35, with orders over £13.50 delivery free"

that sounds interesting, you have any experience with this store, Kyo?

Yeah, I've ordered quite a lot from them recently. I think most of it was

sent from Switzerland. They split big orders up into 3/4 disc combos, so I've

never had problems with additional customs fees. Everything was delivered

rather quick and in excellent shape (all discs were new and still shrink-wrapped).

So far I'd really recommend them. Never had any problems and some of their

prices are awesome (most of the Blue Note/EMI discs, for example). :)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read at plattenladen.com:

"low cost delivery: worldwide for only £1.35, with orders over £13.50 delivery free"

that sounds interesting, you have any experience with this store, Kyo?

Yeah, I've ordered quite a lot from them recently. I think most of it was

sent from Switzerland. They split big orders up into 3/4 disc combos, so I've

never had problems with additional customs fees. Everything was delivered

rather quick and in excellent shape (all discs were new and still shrink-wrapped).

So far I'd really recommend them. Never had any problems and some of their

prices are awesome (most of the Blue Note/EMI discs, for example). :)

Sounds OK - thanks Kyo. Post again if you remember to order before I do :)

MG

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up Foster's Manhatten Fever earlier this week, and this one is a very enjoyable set. I mean, there's nothing earth-shattering here, but its not always necessary for me for everything to be revolutionary. Love the first tune (going by memory) "Ms. No Nose" and I think Mickey Roker's contribution to not only that tune but the entire album is what makes this disk essential listening. Man, that dude can swing! What an excellent drummer (and I liked him from the time I heard Sweet Honey Bee, but now I like him even more now.)

I'm struck how much Foster sounds like Wayne Shorter on the second session. And disappointed the "obligatory funk" opening tune was left off - hey, those kind of tunes are what a lot of people looked forward to at the time! (The notes say it was "Buster Brown," think Stanley Turrentine did a version on Blue Note)

Yeah, that's what Cuscuna says in the notes, that its due to time contraints. And agreed its a real disapointment to not have the whole second session. Since I have no idea how long the missing track is, it must be at least over seven minutes. And if the first track from the first session is an 'obligatory funk' track then give me that second one :excited: Strangely, there's no photos either and not even one in the inlay below where the cd goes. I mean they couldn't even find one of Bob Cranshaw?

Edited by Holy Ghost

In the notes to the Woody Shaw "Stepping Stones" CD, Cuscuna (who I very much admire) says he left out of of the tunes from the LP and substituted another - the one that was omitted was "commercial." Hey - let me hear some "commercial" Woody Shaw for a couple of minutes!

In the notes to the Woody Shaw "Stepping Stones" CD, Cuscuna (who I very much admire) says he left out of of the tunes from the LP and substituted another - the one that was omitted was "commercial." Hey - let me hear some "commercial" Woody Shaw for a couple of minutes!

:) Yeah!

MG

I'll have to go back and look at the "Stepping Stones" notes (CJ Shearn recalls it correctly, I believe), but I'm not sure how you can restore the original LP sequence by leaving out a tune that was on the album and substituting another that wasn't.