Savoy (Denon) Reissues

Late

No problem, Mister Swede! I had a tooth extracted yesterday and wasn't up to anything more intelligent than some typing... I wondered, too, about the weird sequence of the catalogue numbers - makes sense they were not released in numerical order, as that way you'd have had several releases by the same artists in one go, which wouldn't be the most effective marketing strategy, I assume.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about those white case (or were they light blue - can't remember) limited edition Savoy twofers that seemed to come and go in a flash around 1994/95. I remember seeing Yusef Lateef and a Bill Barron 2CD sets - and these weren't facsimiles of the Savoy Reissue Series LPs. Not sure exactly what material was on these but they weren't cheap at the time (at least $20). I regret not picking up the Barron !

Edited by sidewinder

What about those white case (or were they light blue - can't remember) limited edition Savoy twofers that seemed to come and go in a flash around 1994/95. I remember seeing Yusef Lateef and a Bill Barron 2CD sets - and these weren't facsimiles of the Savoy Reissue Series LPs. Not sure exactly what material was on these but they weren't cheap at the time (at least $20). I regret not picking up the Barron !

The cardboard "Savoy Originals" (doubles of Cannonball/Nat, Coltrane/Harden, singles of Navarro, Pepper, Dorham a.o.)? Those were late 90s, I think. The Lateef I have has the very same design but is packed in a slim a jewel case.

Or are you talking of something else again?

There was definitely an early digital cd series of Arista/Savoy releases. I don't remember ever seeing a Barron, but I used to own Cannonball/Nat and Coltrane/Hardman items, Sun Ra, and a few others.

Ah, is it those you meant, sidewinder? I had one of the Coltrane/Harden ones, "The Countdown Session" I think, it used the 70s double-lp layout, white/creamish frame (there were ones with black frame, too) with smaller image in the center, and I remember seing one of the other Harden/Coltrane items using yet another design I think (similar design I think as I have on a single LP of the Booker Ervin album which has added two bonus tracks of the same band accompanying a singer, the Bird 5LP box was similarly designed as well).

But these CDs were late 80s, rather than mid 90s, I think. I bought that Coltrane in the mid 90s, but it looked old and had some patina back then. Gave it away after I got the Savoy/Atlantic 2CD package collecting all three sessions.

Anyone has a listing of the Savoy/Atlantic digipack releases? Here are some I am aware of (it seems the series was called "Savoy Jazz Originals" and came out in the US in the late nineties into 2000 or even 2001, I don't have my discs here to check, only the Fats, which is from 2000):

- Adderley Brothers - Summer of '55 (2CD)

- Yusef Lateef - The Last Savoy Sessions (2CD)

- Fats Navarro - Goin' to Minton's

- Kenny Dorham - [untitled]

- Erroll Garner - Complete Master Takes (2CD)

- Art Pepper - The Discovery Sessions

- Lee Morgan - The Birth of Hardbop (2CD)

- Dexter Gordon - Settin' the Pace

some covers:

d7661684h5v.jpg03003500014.jpge05864fsvew.jpg03020590002.jpg

03004140029.jpg294365.jpgT337257.jpghardbop.gif

edited to add the Harden/Coltrane cover I forgot...

edited to add Dexter Gordon "Settin' the Pace" both to the list and to the covers

Edited by king ubu

Yes, ubu - I think those are the ones. Thanks ! :D Certainly remember seeing that Lateef and the Coltrane/Harden.

Probably the Lateef I was thinking of concerning the colour. I first noticed these around 94-ish so maybe the fact that they disappeared sharpish was that they were already obsolete.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks though re: Bill Barron. ;)

So the mystery's solved, sidewinder?

Only I still believe these were out in the late 90s only, not in the mid 90s. And they didn't ever get obsolete, as the Denon/Savoys were gone at least in part by the time these Atlantic/Savoys arrived.

I never saw the Barron, by the way - is that the only one I missed, or have there been more of these?

It's funny since the start of this thread, I'am seeing a lot of these pop up in the cd store ? weird.

saw one today ..a trumpet player named Joe Wilder ... anyone ever hear of this guy ?

Very nice one! It's Wilder sitting in with the Hank Jones Trio (they're on several other Savoy releases, some in their own name).

What's happening here? sidewinder's "looks familiar" post is now between my and zen's post, but it had been posted further up several hours ago (before my "so the mystery's solved" post, which was my reaction to "looks familiar").

I saw this happening in another thread, yesterday - suddenly an older post gets moved to a newer position! wtf?

the barron "modern windows suite" made its way to my post box this morning, it's actually not a double CD but a 73 minute single CD produced in 2002... most notable thing is, that this contains only the Modern Windows Suite but not the rest of the album Modern Windows, plus the complete "Tenor Stylings of Bill Barron" including the alternate take "Desolation"

Some of these that were released domestically in the early 90s are still available...e.g., Milt Jackson (Jazz Skyline), Art Pepper (Surf Ride), Errol Garner (Penthouse Seranade). How do these compare, sonicwise, to the Japanese Denon issues?

They sound identical to the Japanese 16bit versions of the same titles. (If they're the domestica jewelcases).

Unless they're the super saver jewel case titles, but I don't know if there exist more of those than the five I mentioned... do you know, Lon? Or anyone else? (In fact I don't even know if all five of those exist, the Hank Jones and the Dixon/Shepp are the only ones I saw and I quickly bought both of them!)