Late

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one who's quite annoyed with some Savoy reissues? I don't like owning a CD and knowing that there's a track from those sessions missing - and that's what is the case with quite a few of those Savoy CDs. Take The Birth of Hard Bop - a compilation of Hank Mobley's Jazz Message albums and the Introducing Lee Morgan date. Includes several alternate tracks but omits the Ballad Medley - WTF?! Other cases: Donald Byrd - Byrd's Word omits If I Love Again. John Jenkins/Donald Byrd - Jazz Eyes omits Darn That Dream. Sonny Red(d)/Art Pepper - Two Altos omits Stop (which is available on the useless compilation CD Jazz is Busting Out All Over). Frank Wess - Opus de Swing is the same as Monday Stroll sans two tracks. Of course these days Monday Stroll is a lot harder to find than the other CD. :angry:

And those discs are usually 45 minutes long at best! :(

Edited by Kyo

Am I the only one who's quite annoyed with some Savoy reissues? I don't like owning a CD and knowing that there's a track from those sessions missing - and that's what is the case with quite a few of those Savoy CDs. Take The Birth of Hard Bop - a compilation of Hank Mobley's Jazz Message albums and the Introducing Lee Morgan date. Includes several alternate tracks but omits the Ballad Medley - WTF?! Other cases: Donald Byrd - Byrd's Word omits If I Love Again. John Jenkins/Donald Byrd - Jazz Eyes omits Darn That Dream. Sonny Red(d)/Art Pepper - Two Altos omits Stop (which is available on the useless compilation CD Jazz is Busting Out All Over). Frank Wess - Opus de Jazz is the same as Monday Stroll sans two tracks. Of course these days Monday Stroll is a lot harder to find than the other CD. :angry:

I think that part of the problem with the Savoy/Denon CD reissues is that they reissued 1950s Savoy LPs and 1980s Ariola compilations without paying attention to repeats, etc.

And in any case, Savoy had a story of repackaging and being generally cheap since they got started.

Talking about repackaging, nobody's suggested a Savoy RVG series yet?

F

:)

I'm such a fan of the RVG series(es) I'd buy some!

I think quite a few of the fifties Savoy jazz LPs were done at RVG's. Ozzie Cadena was the guy responsible, I think. He got RVG to do a number of gospel albums I understand. Perhaps Malaco would do an RVG series of the gospel material :)

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

:)

I'm such a fan of the RVG series(es) I'd buy some!

I think quite a few of the fifties Savoy jazz LPs were done at RVG's. Ozzie Cadena was the guy responsible, I think. He got RVG to do a number of gospel albums I understand. Perhaps Malaco would do an RVG series of the gospel material :)

MG

Man, RVG did some beautiful jazz recordings for Savoy in the fifties. And the sound is a little different than BN or Prestige, CTI etc. on some of these dates. (He's recorded as saying that he tailored the sound according to producer needs.

I totally love the way the sound is on the Savoy/Denon cds of the Hardin/Coltrane, Duke Jordan, Byrd, Hank Jones, and Fuller sessions (and others). Beautiful!

I totally love the way the sound is on the Savoy/Denon of the Harden/Coltrane ... Beautiful!

That one really is beautiful. I have the Japanese edition of Mainstream '58, and it's one of the better sounding discs in my collection. I usually play it along with The Complete Stardust Sessions.

:tup

That Gryce half-session with Monk is a masterpiece. Three of the four tracks were new Monk tunes that he almost never played again.

Bertrand.

Agreed. I was listening to this the other day and found myself appreciating Monk in a new way. To me, his playing here is much less "distinctively Monk", yet you can still hear the style that we all now associate with his playing. To me it is a confirmation of just how good Monk really was...he could play stride, he could play straight, he could play"Monk"....very enjoyable session.

What I also like about it is how 'relaxed' it sounds without being too laid back. It's a quality I find in another of my favorite records, Jackie's Destination...Out!!!

I love intense hard bop (like many of Jackie's other records) but the 'relaxed' feel is a nice change of pace.

Bertrand.

Am I the only one who's quite annoyed with some Savoy reissues? I don't like owning a CD and knowing that there's a track from those sessions missing - and that's what is the case with quite a few of those Savoy CDs. Take The Birth of Hard Bop - a compilation of Hank Mobley's Jazz Message albums and the Introducing Lee Morgan date. Includes several alternate tracks but omits the Ballad Medley - WTF?! Other cases: Donald Byrd - Byrd's Word omits If I Love Again. John Jenkins/Donald Byrd - Jazz Eyes omits Darn That Dream. Sonny Red(d)/Art Pepper - Two Altos omits Stop (which is available on the useless compilation CD Jazz is Busting Out All Over). Frank Wess - Opus de Swing is the same as Monday Stroll sans two tracks. Of course these days Monday Stroll is a lot harder to find than the other CD. :angry:

My thoughts exactly!

My thoughts exactly!

Well, I really like the "facimile" 16 bit and 20 bit series from Savoy/Denon. Love the fact that these were just like the lps and loved the glossy covers and big back cover and the sound was glorious!

Some of my great exciting jazz collecting moments were getting this series out of the bins! Some wodnerful music!

Man, RVG did some beautiful jazz recordings for Savoy in the fifties. And the sound is a little different than BN or Prestige, CTI etc. on some of these dates. (He's recorded as saying that he tailored the sound according to producer needs.

I can't remember exactly, but I think RVG worked out a weekly routine by which Prestige, Savoy and Blue Note used different days to record at his studio. If someone has the patience it shouldn't be too difficult to work out a RVG discography for, say, the mid-to-late 50s and see what his weeks were like.

A hard job but someone had to do it, I guess :g

F

I can't remember exactly, but I think RVG worked out a weekly routine by which Prestige, Savoy and Blue Note used different days to record at his studio. If someone has the patience it shouldn't be too difficult to work out a RVG discography for, say, the mid-to-late 50s and see what his weeks were like.

F

I've been in touch with someone writing a book about RVG's studios. It will include a complete listing by date of sessions. I understand Rudy let him copy the studio log books.

Edit for stupid typo.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

F

You're right, I read that too, I think it was in the Mosaic catalog brochure interview with RVG from many years ago.

I do know that August 4, 1955 was a Wednesday (and RVG recorded Hank Jones "Trio" for Savoy that afternoon/evening). That important date and bit of info should help you figure them all out! :)

F

I've been in touch with someone writing a book about RVG's studios. It will include a complete listing by date of sessions. I understand Rudy let him copy the studio log books.

Edit for stupid typo.

Chuck,

Would that be Dan Skea? I know he's been working on the RVG project for quite a while now... should be fascinating once he finally gets that work out there!

Cheers,

Shane

F

Edit for stupid typo.

Wow! THAT looks like an interesting read.

MG

My thoughts exactly!

Well, I really like the "facimile" 16 bit and 20 bit series from Savoy/Denon. Love the fact that these were just like the lps and loved the glossy covers and big back cover and the sound was glorious!

Some of my great exciting jazz collecting moments were getting this series out of the bins! Some wodnerful music!

Well, you can have both when adding the bonus material after the LP tracks. It's all the more annoying 'cause Bob Porter meticulously researched the Savoy disco! Couldn't they afford a copy at the Denon office, or didn't they know? Ridiculous ...... With Savoy you get incomplete sessions with the majority of issues.

With the Savoy/Denon versions you got complete lps reissued. . .which was the point for them. . . . And which I came to enjoy as well. I don't like that they left off tracks of the Arista two lp sets they reissued, but that's my one complaint. (And I've found the tracks I needed elsewhere).

Edited by jazzbo