Charles Mingus Sextet, Live at Cornell U 1964

Guy Berger

What was the original title of So Long Eric?

'Meditations' was the original title.

But "Meditations" is also on this disc. Anyone know the first perrformance or appearance on disc of "Eric"? Also on the Cornell release Dolphy doesn't play on it does he?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this Cornell concert would be the first appearance on disc of So Long Eric.

I believe Free For All is right, Praying for Eric is another title for Meditations (or Meditations on Integration, or Meditations on a Pair of Wire-Cutters) and I think on some boots of the Bremen show So Long Eric appears as Hope So Eric.

Edited by jazzbo

So: "Meditations"/"Meditations On Integration (OR For A Pair of Wire Cutters)" and "Praying With Eric" are the same tune.

"So Long Eric" (I like the subtitle--"Don't Stay Over There Too Long") is a different tune.

-Given how much material is circulating from this ensemble I'm sure there are more variations on these titles, but this is the way I've always understood it.

I'm enjoying this new release. Specifically, I love Orange was the Color of Her Dress with Johnny Coles. His part truly gives the song a very bluesy feel. Later versions, without him, are missing something. My other favorites are Take the A Train, Jaki Byard's solo on Fables is amazing, and i love Mingus's intro to So Long Eric. It seems like maybe the band missed his cue to begin. By any chance, can Mingus fans really be treated with a release of the complete sessions of the 1961-62 Birdland Broadcasts? Now that would be a real treat.

Lou

Edited by theteach

I'm enjoying this new release. Specifically, I love Orange was the Color of Her Dress with Johnny Coles. His part truly gives the song a very bluesy feel. Later versions, without him, are missing something. My other favorites are Take the A Train, Jaki Byard's solo on Fables is amazing, and i love Mingus's intro to So Long Eric. It seems like maybe the band missed his cue to begin. By any chance, can Mingus fans really be treated with a release of the complete sessions of the 1961-62 Birdland Broadcasts? Now that would be a real treat.

Lou

No kidding, especially if the sound were magically better!

Lou

No kidding, especially if the sound were magically better!

I found the Birdland CDRs to be mostly of such poor sound quality that I had trouble listening to them. It seems puzzling that Charlie Parker broadcasts from the late 1940s have better sound. Perhaps these were several generations of copies from the source material?

Well, I've heard part of those on lps (Ozone maybe?) and they sounded bad. I don't know. . .maybe Rose and his pals had a bad recording spell there. :) Anyway, it would be great to have these in better sound; if the source material sounds that bad. . . we may only get it from Andorran firms.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anybody identify any cuts where Dolphy is on alto? I've only listened to it in the car a couple times but the only instruments I can hear him for sure are bass clarinet and flute, even though the liners say he's on alto. I'm going to assume the liners are wrong; I wish Blue Note would take the time to actually listen to what they release.

• 10 years later...