Blindfold Test #1 - Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to have hit a roadblock, though, in terms of participation. I've sent out 15 discs, one arrived cracked and has been replaced, I know there are at leat a couple of people who haven't posted the full top-to-bottom report yet, but others haven't even said if they've received. Can we get a roll call of people who asked for but have yet to receive their disc?

Mike,

Are you interested in this particular test or subsequent tests?

For this current test, if you send me a PM, I can mail you a burn.

Otherwise, I will be running the next test, probably in the next two weeks or so. You can PM your mailing adress to me, now or when I announce that I am accepting requests. I will then name the next "teacher", just as we do it for the AOTW.

By the way, are you capable of burning and sending one or two copies on to other members? I have a feeling that the second test is going to attract many more than the 15 or so that I helped Tony with, and that makes it more likely that I will ask for help from several members to deal with the volume and minimize the costs a bit.

We seem to have hit a roadblock, though, in terms of participation. I've sent out 15 discs, one arrived cracked and has been replaced, I know there are at leat a couple of people who haven't posted the full top-to-bottom report yet, but others haven't even said if they've received. Can we get a roll call of people who asked for but have yet to receive their disc?

I sent out 4 burn requests this morning. I can give you a list if you like, Dan. :D

FWIW, an update/recap on the current test:

Solved: #'s 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11 (links to the answers provided earlier in this thread).

Unsolved: #'s 1, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14.

The "theme" of the test has also been divulged above, so if you'd rather not know (and haven't already read the whole thread), don't read it all until you've had a chance to guess. B)

Well, I just received the cd today. Thanks Dan and Dr. J. I've only listened to the first 4. Have to say I'm pretty clueless.

#2 I think is Curtis Fuller but it does have a hint of West Coast as somebody mentioned.

#3 Don't believe it's Sonny or Stanley. Other than that, no ideas. However, I will study all posts seriously tonight. Whatever the result, it's fun.

I'm pretty confident about #s 5 & 10. Don't know the tunes, but my origianl guess as to artists have only been strengthened by further listening.

What's REALLY beginning to bug me now is #7. That altoist sounds too familiar for me not to know him. The more I listen, the more I think there's somebody Brazillian (or at leas South American) involved, perhaps the pianist, and possibly the drummer. Mr. Rowans, ye olde Brazil Nutte, any ideas?

Wilen, like Wardell Gray, was one of those guys whose soul seemed to be perfectly attuned to the instrument -- it's like the tenor saxophone rolled over on its back and put its paws up in the air for him.

A totally lovely turn of phrase Larry. Mind if I use it sometimes when nobody's looking? ;)

I've just spent a fun morning with Gary who kindly copied his cd for me. There's some great music here so whatever the answers it was a fine listen. I've not looked at this thread until today either.

Track 1, No idea

Track 2, was straight forward enough, JJ

Track 3, on Riverside maybe, Griffin?

Track 4, should have been so easy, what an embarrassment.

Track 5, Richie Kamuca came to mind, probably not though. Someone mentioned Tubby Hayes, could be but sounds more structured to me.

Track 6, Should have got this one.

Track 7, A Kirkish flourish, sounds like it might be from Prestige, Alan Dawson on drums?

Track 8, Grappelli??

Track 9, Really nice, no idea.

Track 10, No idea; Joe Henderson?

Track 11, No idea

Track 12, A change of pace, not Hutcherson. I'll go for Jay Hoggard

Track 13, First thought, Garbarek, second thought Dave Liebman.

Great fun, now to see the results.

Whoops missed off track 14, Monk's tune, Chick Corea springs to mind as he's done some Monk in the past, didn't sound like his phrasing though.

Edited by JohnS

I received my copy this a.m. and am listening to it as I type this. So far, things aren't looking to good, although there's many a "maybe it's so and so". I'll report back later with, hopefully, more answers than I have right now (about two out of eleven). There's a lot of good stuff that I don't recognize, however, and that'll only expand my jazz horizons, which is something I've really been trying to do for the past year or so.

I'm pretty confident about #s 5 & 10. Don't know the tunes, but my origianl guess as to artists have only been strengthened by further listening.

What's REALLY beginning to bug me now is #7. That altoist sounds too familiar for me not to know him. The more I listen, the more I think there's somebody Brazillian (or at leas South American) involved, perhaps the pianist, and possibly the drummer. Mr. Rowans, ye olde Brazil Nutte, any ideas?

I gave it some thought, Jim, but nothing really leaps out at me yet. Victor Assis Brasil (alto) could have recorded something like this, but that seems a bit of a longshot to me. I'm not sure what Brazilian pianist would be a match here, and I'm even less sure about naming a drummer. I'm pretty confident I've never heard this recording, and the style of it is a touch more modern that most of the Brazjazz material I have. That doesn't mean I don't think it's possible that there are Brazilians involved here, but I can't yet suggest any names...

BTW, no "s" at the end of my last name. :)

Sorry, I guess I remembered your e-mail address and transposed the "s". My bad.

Do you have any of those albums Leo Wright did w/Oscar Castro-Neves? I'm wondering if this might not be from one of those. The alto tone suggests Wright, or even Robin Kenyatta. The studio and piano sounds suggest Atlantic, but I find nothing in their catalog to lead any further.

No apology necessary on the name thing, my friend.

Re Leo Wright, I do have him in some south o' the border settings. They all date from 1962 (a couple of sessions with Lalo Schifrin- great stuff, BTW, with Clark Terry, Jimmy Cleveland, Jerome Richardson, Jimmy Raney and others; and one with Oscar's quartet and the great Milton Banana at the bateria). Leo's using flute on many of the tracks, and for the most part it's more samba than jazz in terms of rhythms. Bottom line: nothing as post-Trane modern sounding as our #7...

What do folks think...when should I start a second thread with the "answers," my comments, and further discussion? That wouldn't of course preclude others still chiming in here without looking. I was thinking give it until the end of the weekend, then on Monday post the "key." Sound reasonable?

That's probably a good idea because for the most part I'm stumped. I have some guesses as to what some things are but don't have the same knowledge or level of experience as others. Plus, some of these tests I've seen in jazz mags usually have a before or after (altho I don't know if that after takes place after each song or after all of the songs).

Sounds fairly reasonable but I'd like to hear from others. Maybe you should start a new thread on this, Tony. There may be people out there who want to contribute to an ongoing discussion prior to the revelation, but they won't even see the question you've posted.

On a related topic, when do I start formally soliciting e-mails for test #2? Maybe starting next weekend? That will give maybe two weeks from when the key is revealed to when I ship and we start it all over again.

I think it's reasonable, Tony- especially if you make it abundantly clear in your thread title that the answers are contained therein.

Dan, I think sooner would be fine too. I don't know that we'll need two weeks to discuss things after Tony reveals...

Edited by Jim R