Dexter Gordon & Woody Shaw Invitation, Vol. 1 and Vol 2. (Live)

Hardbopjazz

• 2 weeks later...

The price is excellent and makes sense: you can buy each tune for $.99, or all seven for 7 x $.99. It should always be this way on iTunes. I do have to quibble with the sloppy song title listings, however.

How is the sound (taking into account that they are downloads, of course)?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I've listened to them on my computer with Aiwa speakers (not bad, but not great). The sound quality of the music is listenable and enjoyable. "In Your Own Sweet Way," "Invitation," and "Stepping Stone" are Woody Shaw only; "The Panther" and "Body and Soul" are Dexter Gordon only; and "Green Dolphin Street" and "A La Modal" are Dexter with Woody. It's very possible that the Woody and the Dexter/Dexter with Woody tracks were recorded at different concerts, as the Woody tracks have better sound quality. The tracks do not list recording dates, locations or personnel, so it's hard to be definitive (Dexter does announce his band as Ronnie Matthews, Stafford James and Louis Hayes, but who knows if that's for all his tracks?). The Dexters sound like cassette quality, but from the mixing board; the bass is LOUD. Woody's trumpet is a little low in the mix on his tracks.

I just downloaded these. Anyone have any more discographical information?

-VOLUME 1-

* Stepping Stone & Invitation » [basel, Switzerland]

Woody Shaw, tp, Carter Jefferson, soprano sax; Larry Willis, pn; Stafford James, bs; Victor Lewis, ds

* Body & Soul » [Keystone Korner, San Francisco, CA]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Kirk Lightsey, pn; David Eubanks, bs; Eddie Gladden, ds

* On Green Dolphin Street » [Village Vanguard, NYC]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Woody Shaw, tp, Carter Jefferson, tenor sax; Onaje Allan Gumbs, pn; Clint Houston, bs; Victor Lewis, ds

-VOLUME 2-

* In Your Own Sweet Way (Brubeck) » [basel, Switzerland]

Woody Shaw, tp, Carter Jefferson, soprano sax; Larry Willis, pn; Stafford James, bs; Victor Lewis, ds

* Ala Modal (Gordon) » [Keystone Korner, San Francisco, C.A.]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Woody Shaw, tp; Ronnie Mathews, pn; Stafford James, bs; Louis Hayes, ds

* The Panther (Gordon) » [Dakar, Senegal, West Africa]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Kirk Lightsey, pn; Chuck Metcalf, bs; Eddie Gladden, ds

Just received this by e-mail from WoodyShaw.com

The price is excellent and makes sense: you can buy each tune for $.99, or all seven for 7 x $.99. It should always be this way on iTunes. I do have to quibble with the sloppy song title listings, however.

How is the sound (taking into account that they are downloads, of course)?

Bertrand.

Damn! I bought both copies in March 2nd and they were $9.99. They've dropped the price. I have my receipt from iTunes. I wonder if they will credit my account if I bitch enough.

I just downloaded these. Anyone have any more discographical information?

-VOLUME 1-

* Stepping Stone & Invitation » [basel, Switzerland]

* Body & Soul » [Keystone Korner, San Francisco, CA]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Kirk Lightsey, pn; David Eubanks, bs; Eddie Gladden, ds

* On Green Dolphin Street » [Village Vanguard, NYC]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Woody Shaw, tp, Carter Jefferson, tenor sax; Onaje Allan Gumbs, pn; Clint Houston, bs; Victor Lewis, ds

-VOLUME 2-

* In Your Own Sweet Way (Brubeck) » [basel, Switzerland]

* Ala Modal (Gordon) » [Keystone Korner, San Francisco, C.A.]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Woody Shaw, tp; Ronnie Mathews, pn; Stafford James, bs; Louis Hayes, ds

* The Panther (Gordon) » [Dakar, Senegal, West Africa]

Dexter Gordon, tenor sax; Kirk Lightsey, pn; Chuck Metcalf, bs; Eddie Gladden, ds

Just received this by e-mail from WoodyShaw.com

So basically random tracks? That makes no sense! <_<