Jazz in Paris complete list

Photos

From that deus62 dude ...

[Edit:] He tells me that there's a list here and that sometime this year he'll be finished with a *.pdf listing each and every issue, with covers, session info etc. for everyone to download.

I've uploaded photos of the new batch

INCLUDING (finally)

a photo of the sampler that brownie sent me as a present.

Thanks, Guy! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Couldn't help but notice that you seem to be missing the 10-inch vinyl 'Cool Jazz at Saint-Germain des Prés'. This was a limited edition LP that had tracks by Armand Migiani and Michel de Villers. It came out in the fall of 2005 and disappeared quickly :(

It was the only vinyl release from the Jazz in Paris series!

I picked up 110, 111 and 112 which were in stock at DG. I agree that some of these are pretty short, but it is a really nice series and I have essentially everything else, so I will probably fill in that last gap.

I also saw some reissue called Sacha's Guitar

Sacha's Guitar

Sacha Distel

$13.99 ... CD

(€10.38 || £7.02 || ¥1633) (approx.)

CD (Item 452301) El (UK), Mid 50s -- Condition: New Copy

A sweet selection of jazz guitar work by Sacha Disel from the mid-to-late 50s -- breezy, understated and gently gripping material pulled from sides Distel cut with Lionel Hampton, Bobby Jasper, John Lewis and others! Sacha's Guitar is really a fine example of post war modern jazz at the time, with arrangements running from a stripped down after hours vibe, to more of a lightly swinging sound. It also finds Distelworking well with a fine roster of players, with the above mentioned heavy hitters plus Kenny Clarke, Bobby Wilen, George Duvivier, Rene Urtreger and more. Titles include "Olympia Orgy", "'Round About Midnight", "No 1 For Sacha", "All The Things You Are" with the Lionel Hampton Paris All Stars, "Minor Drops" and "I'll Rember You" with the Bobby Jasper All Stars, and "I Cover The Waterfront", "Dear Old Stockholm", "Afternoon In Paris", "Bag's Groove", "Willow Weep For Me" & "All The Things You Are" from the excellent Afternoon In Paris LP by the John Lewis-Sacha Distel Quintet.

Though I think I have almost all of this already.

I'm listening to volume 105: "Sonny Stitt Sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio." This one was first reissued on cd by Verve in 1991 with three bonus tracks recorded by Stitt with O.P. in 1957 in LA (the Paris tracks were recorded in 1959). That one went out of print, to be reissued in one of those very expensive Japanese versions (which is still available--for a fortune). The Jazz in Paris version does not issue the three 1957 bonus tracks, sticking (logically) with the original album of 8 tracks recorded in Paris in 1959. So, it's short (39 minutes), but for those who don't already have it, it really is a wonderful album. Stitt was in top form, and O.P., Ray Brown, and Ed Thigpen hung in there with him. Peterson liked a challenge, and so did Sonny. As James Isaacs noted in his original liner notes for the 1991 cd, Stitt and Peterson never recorded together again, which is too bad. They were well met! Sound is very fine, typical of the series, with some fair liners by Alain Tercinet.

• 2 months later...

I'm listening to volume 105: "Sonny Stitt Sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio." This one was first reissued on cd by Verve in 1991 with three bonus tracks recorded by Stitt with O.P. in 1957 in LA (the Paris tracks were recorded in 1959). That one went out of print, to be reissued in one of those very expensive Japanese versions (which is still available--for a fortune). The Jazz in Paris version does not issue the three 1957 bonus tracks, sticking (logically) with the original album of 8 tracks recorded in Paris in 1959. So, it's short (39 minutes), but for those who don't already have it, it really is a wonderful album. Stitt was in top form, and O.P., Ray Brown, and Ed Thigpen hung in there with him. Peterson liked a challenge, and so did Sonny. As James Isaacs noted in his original liner notes for the 1991 cd, Stitt and Peterson never recorded together again, which is too bad. They were well met! Sound is very fine, typical of the series, with some fair liners by Alain Tercinet.

So I deleted my last post, as Greg answered one of my questions (why the bonus tracks were not on the JiP release). I spent a bit of time checking it out and the bonus tracks also show up on Stitt's Only the Blues. However, if anything this is even rarer than Sits In ... I found that a few of the tracks of Only the Blues show up in the Verve Vault on iTunes, but not the relevant tracks. This is really strange. I will go ahead and email Verve to ask them to put the rest of the tracks up for download or to put Sits In in the Vault.

But I am still torn. I have just about the complete JiP set, except this one and the new Lafitte CD. But it seems stupid to buy the JiP version of Stitt-Peterson when the import is available (though a bit steep at $20-25). Has anyone listened to the bonus tracks, and are they worth holding out for? Thanks.

Eric

Excuse me for intruding (this is the wrong of too many threads on this series anyway...) - the Stitt bonus tracks in question are the takes without Eldridge at the end of the VEE disc, right? I have that one (although with a somewhat damaged cover, but it was the only copy of it I ever saw, had to pick it up!)