Original Impulse LPs

ASNL77

I have another question about Contemporary records. I have received a Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk vol.2 that was sold to me as an original on Ebay but the label is brownish black. It is a stereo version. The label does not look like any of the yellow labels of Contemporary records. Did I get done??! :o Is it a reissue?

Edited by ASNL77

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another question about Contemporary records. I have received a Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk vol.2 that was sold to me as an original on Ebay but the label is brownish black. It is a stereo version. The label does not look like any of the yellow labels of Contemp[orary records. Did I get done??! :o Is it a reissue?

me thinks an original :excl:

I have another question about Contemporary records. I have received a Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk vol.2 that was sold to me as an original on Ebay but the label is brownish black. It is a stereo version. The label does not look like any of the yellow labels of Contemporary records. Did I get done??! :o Is it a reissue?

The early Contemporary stereo's were on a black label. You've got an original.

Thanks. It sounds as an original! :w

You are absolutely right Yves concerning the sound of those original Contemporary stereos - they are great ! I've got the 4 Blackhawk LPs on that black label stereo imprint plus the 2LP set of the Manne-Hole recordings. The latter is a good one to get after the Blackhawks.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks. It sounds as an original! :w

You are absolutely right Yyves concerning the sound of those original Contemporary stereos - they are great ! I've got the 4 Blackhawk LPs on that black label stereo imprint plus the 2LP set of the Manne-Hole recordings. The latter is a good one to get after the Blackhawks.

I have the monos and they sound great too :)

OK..... so this one which is described as an original pressing is not, is it? :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLIVER-NELSON-THE-BL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Correct, it's a second pressing, 1968, second Impulse! label.

I would suggest you to get a copy of Goldmine's Jazz Album Price Guide, the best source of informations about pressings, labels, covers, ecc., (unless Chuck or Brownie will quit to rest like retired and will decide to put on paper a better one :) ) though not reliable about prices. Try on Amazon or some other online bookshops http://www.amazon.com/Goldmine-Jazz-Album-...e/dp/0873498046

You'll not waste your money on it. AFIK it covers U.S. realeases only.

Edited by porcy62

Impulse was created as a division of ABC Paramount, so even the earliest pressings are identified this way. The orange label with the black border was used until 1968, when it was replaced by the black label with the red border. I believe this may have been after mono was discontinued, so your mono LP is probably an original.

Some additional info: the orange/black label exists in shiny and matt versions. Shiny labels appear to be earlier - at least for the first 99 (?) titles. Best sounding originals IMO are white label promo's.

Peter

Edited by Peter A

Impulse was created as a division of ABC Paramount, so even the earliest pressings are identified this way. The orange label with the black border was used until 1968, when it was replaced by the black label with the red border. I believe this may have been after mono was discontinued, so your mono LP is probably an original.

The orange/black label exists in shiny and matt versions. Shiny labels appear to be earlier - at least for the first 99 (?) titles. Best sounding originals IMO are white label promo's.

Peter

I have some of WLP, and I agree, but all my copies are mono and I presume that all of them are mono. So if you prefer stereo, you should go for the orange/black label.

Never known about shiny/matt labels, thanks for the info.

Edited by porcy62

I have some of WLP, and I agree, but all my copies are mono and I presume that all of them are mono. So if you prefer stereo, you should go for the orange/black label.

I've got a Pharoah Sanders 'Tauhid' WLP that seems to be in stereo.

I've got a Pharoah Sanders 'Tauhid' WLP that seems to be in stereo.

Seems? :D

It sound strange to me because Tauhid was first issued on ABC Impulse! black/red label according to Goldmine in mono and stereo and WLP are usually mono, but I have a orange/black stereo copy. :crazy:

Edited by porcy62

Just checked it Porcy - your WLP Theory stands up, it is in mono. Even though the gatefold sleeve is marked stereo !

Sounds great by the way. :)

My WLP theory is based on the fact that most radio stations broadcasted in mono at times, actually I don't know when they started stereo broadcasting in U.S..

About labels Tahuid was issued when they changed label (1967/8) so it could be that very early pressing of album of this period are orange/black, later pressing red/black. Anthony Pearson sold a Gabor Szabo Impulse! on ebay with orange label, that was pretty rare on that label, same period. I am waiting a sealed copy of the same record bought on ebay few days ago, and I presume it will be on red/black ABC label.

Edited by porcy62

It sound strange to me because Tauhid was first issued on ABC Impulse! black/red label according to Goldmine in mono and stereo and WLP are usually mono, but I have a orange/black stereo copy. :crazy:

Goldmine is wrong? Say it isn't so!. :(

I bought "Tauhid" as a new release, and it is on the orange label. Btw, "Karma" was the first record I saw with the new black label w/ red border. Not saying it was the very first, but it was among the first.

Edited by Stereojack

Goldmine is wrong? Say it isn't so!. :(

I bought "Tauhid" as a new release, and it is on the orange label. Btw, "Karma" was the first record I saw with the new black label w/ red border. Not saying it was the very first, but it was among the first.

Yeah, my Tauhid is an orange-label Stereo also.

I have seen an orange-label Karma, I could swear.

• 2 weeks later...

I received this morning a copy that was sold to me as an original copy of the Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard. It has the orange and black label but it seems to be a Capitol records reissue with a SMAS 90965 sign on the side of the sleeve! I thought that all orange and black labels were original copies... This one does not seem to be. :wacko: Can anybody help?

Edited by ASNL77

I received this morning a copy that was sold to me as an original copy of the Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard. It has the orange and black label but it seems to be a Capitol records reissue with a SMAS 90965 sign on the side of the sleeve! I thought that all orange and black labels were original copies... This one does not seem to be. :wacko: Can anybody help?

There wouldn't be a 'Wally' in the runout groove would there?

At first I thought this might be one of the 'Limited' MCA reissues from the late 80s/early 90s but from the description it doesn't sound like it.

It is NOT an original!

My original mono orange vinyl has the letters RVG in the dead wax on both sides along with 'A10 - A 1' and 'A-10 B' signs on sides 1 and 2!

It is NOT an original!

My original mono orange vinyl has the letters RVG in the dead wax on both sides along with 'A10 - A 1' and 'A-10 B' signs on sides 1 and 2!

Thanks Brownie. The seller seems to be a genuine person and I am sure he advertised it as an original because of the orange and black label. It shouldn't be a problem to send it back and obtain a refund. I have just listened to it and the sound is pretty poor anyway.

BTW, if I hadn't known that the tune on side 2 was 'My favourite things', I would never have guessed it! :blink: