Original Impulse LPs

ASNL77

I received this morning a copy that was sold to me as an original copy of the Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard. It has the orange and black label but it seems to be a Capitol records reissue with a SMAS 90965 sign on the side of the sleeve! I thought that all orange and black labels were original copies... This one does not seem to be. :wacko: Can anybody help?

This is a Capitol Record Club pressing. For a time in the mid-1960's, Capitol Records operated a mail-order service, through which they offered records on a variety of labels besides Capitol. The non-Capitol records were pressed by Capitol, and assigned Capitol catalog numbers. I've seen Impulse, Verve, and others with Capitol numbers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received this morning a copy that was sold to me as an original copy of the Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard. It has the orange and black label but it seems to be a Capitol records reissue with a SMAS 90965 sign on the side of the sleeve! I thought that all orange and black labels were original copies... This one does not seem to be. :wacko: Can anybody help?

This is a Capitol Record Club pressing. For a time in the mid-1960's, Capitol Records operated a mail-order service, through which they offered records on a variety of labels besides Capitol. The non-Capitol records were pressed by Capitol, and assigned Capitol catalog numbers. I've seen Impulse, Verve, and others with Capitol numbers.

I'd keep it. Those capitol record club issues are not highly collectible but are of some interest. Anyone knows about the pressing information ? I same pressing run as orginals ? Same date of issue ?

I'd keep it. Those capitol record club issues are not highly collectible but are of some interest. Anyone knows about the pressing information ? I same pressing run as orginals ? Same date of issue ?

The seller has agreed to refund me. There is no date on either the sleeve or the record. Yet, it does say 'a product of ABC-Paramount records at the bottom of the record label. If you want it Michel, it is all yours! ;)

Edited by ASNL77

Just curious, Yves!

Is the cover of the album a gatefold one like on the original?

No problem, Brownie. It is a gatefold sleeve and I believe it is the same as the original apart from the spine that is white and not orange and black. Also, the back of the sleeve is blue. (I don't know what colour the original one is).

BTW, it is the live at the Village Vanguard live AGAIN! Sorry about the confusion!

Edited by ASNL77

Just curious, Yves!

Is the cover of the album a gatefold one like on the original?

No problem, Brownie. It is a gatefold sleeve and I believe it is the same as the original apart from the spine that is white and not orange and black. Also, the back of the sleeve is blue. (I don't know what colour the original one is).

BTW, it is the live at the Village Vanguard live AGAIN! Sorry about the confusion!

Yeah, the back of the original is glossy blue... the white spine is a drag, but it could be worse!

I've seen those Capitol Record Club issues also - never bought them myself because of the reasons you're not keeping it, but if you're not anal-retentive, it's not a bad deal...

FWIW, I'm not convinced that the recording quality itself is all that great. My red/black Van Gelder always sounded pretty thin to me.

• 2 months later...

Impulse was created as a division of ABC Paramount, so even the earliest pressings are identified this way. The orange label with the black border was used until 1968, when it was replaced by the black label with the red border. I believe this may have been after mono was discontinued, so your mono LP is probably an original.

Some additional info: the orange/black label exists in shiny and matt versions. Shiny labels appear to be earlier - at least for the first 99 (?) titles. Best sounding originals IMO are white label promo's.Peter

I have to agree with this but it looks like not everybody agrees with us. I'd expect them to sell for more $$ on Ebay than they do. I have bought a few Coltrane WLPs lately for much less than I would have thought.... :w

About Capitol Record Club pressing.

I have only the first record of Country Joe MacDonald And The Fish, I bought it to replace my worn own original Vanguard pressing. I have to admit that the sound quality on this particular one is excellent. Don' know about jazz records, surely an original RVG is more colletible, but the sound of the Capitol pressings might be very good, at least in this case.

• 2 months later...

American in Europe vol. 1, Mono A-36--This one has a white and black label--a promo perhaps?

Definitely, if it has the four "i" in the outer circle of the label and a RVG pressend on the wax.

It has the four i's, but no RGV, as RVG did not record this one. It says Bell Sound in the wax. Original ABC Paramount sleeve, with the highest numbered impulse pictured being A-33 (McCoy Tyner, Reaching Fourth).

American in Europe vol. 1, Mono A-36--This one has a white and black label--a promo perhaps?

Definitely, if it has the four "i" in the outer circle of the label and a RVG pressend on the wax.

It has the four i's, but no RGV, as RVG did not record this one. It says Bell Sound in the wax. Original ABC Paramount sleeve, with the highest numbered impulse pictured being A-33 (McCoy Tyner, Reaching Fourth).

AFIK it should be an original first pressing, WLP.