Wayne Andre has passed

Christiern

I'm very sorry to hear about Wayne's passing, but I'm glad his suffering is over.

Wayne was a great guy and a great trombonist who played his ass off. He wasn't as widely known as some, but you'd be surprised at just how many sessions he played on- you've probably heard him and don't even know it. I got to hang w/him a couple of times- once in college he was a guest w/my jazz band. He played so smoothly and fluently he really kicked my ass at a time I needed some inspiration. He also was an articulate and approachable clinician- he always took time to answer any question. He will, of course, be missed.

Thanks, Wayne.

• WAYNE ANDRE, trombone, composer; born Manchester, CT, 11/17/31; died in NYC 08/26/03. Studied with private teacher in Hartford, CT, 1946. Attended Hartt School of Music '48-9; Schillinger House '49-50. P1ayed first professional gigs in Hart-ford with Al Lepak and William Cully. P1ayed with Charlie Spivak '50-I, then with air force band in Korean War. Upon discharge, p1ayed with Sauter-Finegan Orchestra '55; Woody Herman '56. Made recording debut with Kai Winding September '56. Attended Manhattan School of Music '58--62. Original mem-ber of Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band '61. Mem-ber of CBS Staff Orchestra '61-4. Very active as freelancer. Played with Benny Goodman '61-2; Quincy Jones '62; also many recording sessions with such vocalists as Frank Sinatra; Peggy Lee; Dinah Washington; Sarah Vaughan. Toured USSR with Goodman '62. Played with Thad Jones-Mel Lewis '67; Clark Terry big band '67-8. Returned to Goodman Orchestra '78-9; also recorded with rock group Steely Dan in '70s. With Jaco Pastorious '84. Formed own group in September '84. Toured USA and Europe with Mingus "Epitaph" Orchestra '91. Taught trombone at Mannes School of Music. In recent years, Andre had become more involved in composing and arranging. In May '91 he premiered an extended work for trombone and symphony orchestra in Oslo, Norway. Favored: Urbie Green, J.J. Johnson, Slide Hampton. Polls: NARAS Most Valued Studio Player '82, '86. Festivals: many, in UK, Norway, France, Greece, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland. TV: Ed Sullivan Show w. Pearl Bailey '68. CDs: w. George Benson (A&M; CTI); Lockjaw Davis (RCA); Maynard Ferguson (Main.); Benny Good-man (London); Dexter Gordon (Columbia).; Freddie Hub-bard (CTI); Gerry Mulligan (Verve); Wes Montgomery (Verve).

I learned of Andre early on in my jazz awareness, just by his being on the Benny goodman Moscow stuff, which was one of the first jazz records I bought. I think he might have been on that Colpix JAZZ MISSION TO MOSCOW too (or was that Willie Dennis?). Never really "followed" his work, but I know I'd look at the personnel of various big band albums, see his name, and think, "Wow, Wayne Andre again!" But I'd be lying if I said that I was REALLY familiar with his playing or his career.

Still, it's guys like Andre who make the jazz scene more than an isolated handful of geniuses and near-geniuses. Guys who might not be household names, but who are always THERE, playing in sections (when there were such things), soloing on low-profile "local" gigs, assisting new players, and just in general giving a body to the the head. Can't have a REAL scene without people like that, solid players of the highest level who might never "break out", but who nevertheless keep the scene alive and viable.

RIP, Wayne Andre, and thanks.

Guest youmustbe

I saw Wayne at the union a few months ago, leading a big band. He looked great.

I called him on the phome 2 weeks ago, and he said he couldn't believe that it had happened to him...the big C.

Told me to call him next week.

Very sorry. Great guy, and a great musician.

Chris, I take it you knew him?

No, I didn't know him. I might have met him briefly when Benny assembled a band to take to Moscow (I was working for Benny backthen), but I'm not sure. Three days ago, I heard from musician friends that he had but a few days left. I am always amazed and saddened by thge fact that people like Wayne Andre can dedicate their life to the music and contribute mightily, yet remain relatively unknown--even among jazz fans. That's why I posted the sadnews of his passing. There are other like Wayne Andre--we should make it a point to pay them attention while they are still around.

Bad news about Wayne Andre. He was really into a lot of sessions. I liked his contributions to the Kai Winding trombone group.

He was on Kai Winding's 1956 Columbia session 'The Trombone Sound' which may have been his first recording date.

Another great trombone player Carl Fontana was also on that album. There was worrying news about Fontana a while back but he

seems to be recovering

Jim wrote:

I think he might have been on that Colpix JAZZ MISSION TO MOSCOW too (or was that Willie Dennis?).

That was Willie Dennis, indeed, not Andre.

Another great trombone player Carl Fontana was also on that album. There was worrying news about Fontana a while back but he seems to be recovering.

I wish that was true, brownie (unless you've heard some very recent news that I've missed). Carl (my favorite trombonist) is suffering from Alzheimer's. I went out to Vegas to visit him about a year ago and he, at that point, remembered me, but since then he's basically been going downhill, I'm sorry to say. He's not playing and is in an assisted care facility.

Have you heard otherwise?

Thanks for the link, brownie. Well, I hope you're right and he does improve. He's physically in pretty good shape, it's just his mental state that continues to deteriorate.

When I first heard Carl it was on the Supersax "Salt Peanuts" LP. At that point I was so blown away that I figured I could just 1)quit or 2)start practicing like crazy, because THAT was how trombone should swing. Over the years I got to know him and even record with him- I remember standing next to him in the studio, preparing to FOLLOW his solo, having thoughts like "What the hell was I thinking having him play on my CD?". Some have made the mistake of thinking "Hey, maybe I can cut him......." -that's when Carl would turn on all the burners and rip the cat a new one.

There are some tapes floating around of Carl and Frank Rosolino playing together that are amazing. Too bad those two didn't record together more. Frank, J.J., Wayne- the greats are disappearing, I'm afraid.........

FFA, if you want to hear a superb Carl Fontana album, get the Uptown CD 'The Great Fontana' where he plays

with a quintet that includes Al Cohn and Richard Wyands. I loved this session when it came out on LP then it

was reissued on CD with additional tracks. Fontana is really stunning on that one. A must album.

Yes- his solo on It Might As Well Be Spring is a gem. There's an obscure Louie Bellson Impulse side called "Thunderbird" that Carl plays nicely on. He also did some recordings in the last few years with Jiggs Whigham and Andy Martin, an L.A. trombonist.

I can't help but think Wayne would be amused that a Carl tangent sprouted from his thread.

Even the kindest of words cannot describe the quality of character Wayne posessed. I had the opportunity of growing up with his son and getting to know the family. His talent and commitment to music was only surpassed by his love and commitment to his family. He was one of the most caring men I have ever had the honor to meet. Wayne, I wanted to tell you last Monday, have no worries. Your son and family have us whenever we are needed. We all love and miss you very much.