Brotherhood of Breath reissues

RogerF

The first two Brotherhood of Breath albums have just been reissued on the British "Fledg'ling" label. They come in a digipack with good sleeve notes and photos and are approved and licensed by Chris MacGregor's widom, Maxine McGregor. They appear to have been remastered to a very high standard indeed. Although I had heard the first eponymous album, the second one 'Brotherhood' I had not, and it was certainly a revelation as BoB studio albums are something of a rareity. 'Brotherhood' is as good as, if not better than, the first. But both are really essential, joyous beautifully crafted and executed medium big band modern to avant jazz. Very highly recommended.

If I was going to pick up an album by these guys, would one of these be a good start? Which one?

There's also an earlier, less expensive issue of Brotherhood of Breath on the Repertoire label. Which is better?

Guy

Either would be a good start. I'd almost suggest Brotherhood as the better place, but I'm very, very fond of that first one too. Can't say how the reissues sound, but the original LPs are well-recorded.

If I was going to pick up an album by these guys, would one of these be a good start? Which one?

There's also an earlier, less expensive issue of Brotherhood of Breath on the Repertoire label. Which is better?

Guy

Either would be a good start. I'd almost suggest Brotherhood as the better place, but I'm very, very fond of that first one too. Can't say how the reissues sound, but the original LPs are well-recorded.

The early CD issue of the 1st Brotherhood album sounds perfectly fine (I'm satisfied with it, anyway). Unless the remastering has succeeded in making the Miller/Moholo rhythm team even more badass on those first few seconds of "MRA", then I'll stick with what I've got.

The more I listen to it, the more I'm beginning to think that Brotherhood is the superior album--more for variety than for value (as discussed in the SA thread). None of that's to say that the self-titled is lacking for ambition ("Night Poem"), aggression, or skill, of course. My opinion could change tomorrow, and together those first two albums are some of the best studio output that that axis of musicians (South African and European alike) ever produced.

I recently heard a copy of "Very Urgent" by Chris MacGregor. That needs to be re-issued too.

I was just looking this up on AMG and they don't have a listing for it.

Does this look familiar??

Chris McGregor

Very Urgent

(Polydor 1968)

1. Marie My Dear / Travelling Somewhere

2. Heart’s Vibrations

3. The Sounds Begin Again / White Lies

4. Don't Stir the Beehive

Chris McGregor: piano

Mongezi Feza: trumpet

Dudu Pukwana: alto saxophone

Ronnie Beer: tenor saxophone