Anyone get the new Woody Herman Columbia?

Hans, I also assumed Bruce was referring to the box as opposed to the single since he called it a "set".

Bruce, whichever one you're talking about, they're both great (if you like that big band crap ;)) .

Highly recommended. :tup

(BTW if you are talking about the new single "Woody's Winners" I had it up as an AOTW not too long ago)

Woody's Winners AOTW

So you and Hans are talking of the same set, this one:

223.jpg

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=223-MD-CD

Yes.

I guess to me 2004 still seems "new." :blink:

The last time I looked at the Mosaic site they said the Columbia box was on backorder and would ship in mid March, although NOW it says late February. Whatever.

The earlier Herman Mosaic box, the Capitol, MD6-196, has been out of print for some time, so the Columbia one is "new" in comparison. The single I got a couple months ago and love it.

I bought the box last year, having owned the 1960's 3-LP set since it came out.

Positives: The sound is terrific, expertly mastered by Mark Wilder. I'm not always happy with Mosaic's mastering, but this one is superb.

I was already familiar with most of the music, and I can highly recommend this set for the many classics it contains, and the lineup of great players - Bill Harris, Sonny Berman, Flip Phillips, Red Norvo, Dave Tough, Stan Getz, Mary Ann McCall, et al.

Negatives: I wanted everything by this band, especially the material that had been left off of the LP set. Unfortunately, most of the tracks that were new to me were forgettable vocals by Herman. The compilers of the LP set had made their selections wisely. The new set does contain a number of interesting alternates, however.

I find Loren Schoenberg's micro-detailed liner notes really superfluous. I wonder if Loren was being paid by the word. ;)

The last time I looked at the Mosaic site they said the Columbia box was on backorder and would ship in mid March, although NOW it says late February. Whatever.

The set is now available again.

Mine was shipped on Wednesday and was at my door yesterday. Fast! very fast!