Wes Montgomery

Durium

Get the belgian TV studio recording on DVD. It looks great.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...=lk_organissimo

2 TV broadcasts from Wes Montgomery's European tour of 1965 -- both small group performances that offer a rare glimpse of Wes on the stage! The group on both sessions features Harold Mabern on piano, Arthur Harper on bass, and Jimmy Lovelace on drums -- a similar lineup to that heard on the famous live recordings of Montgomery from the same tour, and presented in a similar blend of original material and a few well-chosen standards. DVD features 5 tracks from London and 5 from Brussels -- both recorded in March of 1965 -- on titles that include "Impressions", "Jingles", "The Girl Next Door", "Around Midnight", "Full House", and "Twisted Blues". (All region DVD.)

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=r6s...p;refQ=cat%3D24

Edited by Claude

The only thing that really appears newsworthy with regard to this thread (we've talked about Wes' european performances before, probably more than once) is this, from Durium's blog:

"A few weeks ago the NPS ( Dutch Television) sent out some rare film shots of Dutch jazz programs from the 1960s. One of them was a fragment of Wes Montgomery playing with the Trio Pim Jacobs. This fragment is rather remarkable as Wes and Pim are discussing the chords and melody lines before the start of the program. This film shot seems to be from a concert that was broadcast by the Dutch VARA radio on the 2nd of April 1965 at Studio 7 in Hilversum (The Netherlands)"

I'd be interested in hearing more about this (or seeing the clip). Maybe I should have checked YouTube before I posted. ^_^

AFAIK this was the only time Wes visited Europe - he suffered from fear of flying

Any source for this information? I think I remember you got this from his manager, anywhere else?

I have this either from some liner notes or from Adrian Ingram's book - but please don't ask me for the exact place, don't have the time to check it right now. Could have been it was just "didn't like to fly", but that at the least.

Edited by mikeweil

AFAIK this was the only time Wes visited Europe - he suffered from fear of flying

Any source for this information? I think I remember you got this from his manager, anywhere else?

I have this either from some liner notes or from Adrian Ingram's book - but please don't ask me for the exact place, don't have the time to check it right now.

thnks!

The only thing that really appears newsworthy with regard to this thread (we've talked about Wes' european performances before, probably more than once) is this, from Durium's blog:

"A few weeks ago the NPS ( Dutch Television) sent out some rare film shots of Dutch jazz programs from the 1960s. One of them was a fragment of Wes Montgomery playing with the Trio Pim Jacobs. This fragment is rather remarkable as Wes and Pim are discussing the chords and melody lines before the start of the program. This film shot seems to be from a concert that was broadcast by the Dutch VARA radio on the 2nd of April 1965 at Studio 7 in Hilversum (The Netherlands)"

I'd be interested in hearing more about this (or seeing the clip). Maybe I should have checked YouTube before I posted. ^_^

I have it on DVD, recorded from the TV program two weeks ago.

Keep swinging

Durium

I have this either from some liner notes or from Adrian Ingram's book - but please don't ask me for the exact place, don't have the time to check it right now.

thnks!

montgomery2.jpg

If you visit the Wes Montgomery discography (click on the title bar in my Wes Montgomery blog contribution) it learns that he only visited Europe between March - May 1965.

Wes Montgomery Blog

Keep swinging

Durium

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw some of the footage on television a couple of years ago, I think they showed them playing 'Nica's Dream'.

That video is here : Wes Montgomery with the Pim Jacobs Trio

I saw some of the footage on television a couple of years ago, I think they showed them playing 'Nica's Dream'.

That video is here : Wes Montgomery with the Pim Jacobs Trio

montgomery2.jpg

In my fragment they play The End Of A Love Affair and both Wes Montgomery as Pim Jacobs are discussing, relaxed, before recording this session, the chords of the piece. A nice fragment !!

His 1965 European tour

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

• 6 months later...
  • 8 years later...