George Braith

I really don't think Musart is on the level of Braith's Bluenote output .

The title track starts out promisingly but during Braith's solo any musical narrative or development is lost . The two ballad standards don't approach anything memorable ; Laura being particularly unrewarding . The lowpoint of the album is Evelyn Anita , which tenders some pretty tired funkiness .

One track stands head and shoulders above the rest and that is Del's Theme . The wordless vocalizing is hauntingly lovely on this , and George gets into a relaxed , hypnotic groove in his solo . Splashes of Love is the next best thing on the record , but it gets an injudiciously quick fade out just as Jane Getz is getting going !

According to Lord there are six unissued tunes from the sessions that went into Musart ( one titled intriguingly ( or alarmingly ) , 'Monkey Cha Cha' ) . In addition , according to Lord , Braith did four more tunes for Prestige in the fall of '67 with John Hicks , Herbie Lewis and Roy Haynes , but there is no listing for this session in Fitzgerald's Prestige discography .

• 10 years later...

Having had great success with MG’s recommendation on Johnny Lytle I picked up Braith’s Musart.  I think it’s a pretty beguiling album , quite different from just about anything else of this era that I’ve heard. Solid recommendation MG 👍

Edited by Clunky

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Having had great success with MG’s recommendation on Johnny Lytle I picked up Braith’s Musart.  I think it’s a pretty beguiling album , quite different from just about anything else of this era that I’ve heard. Solid recommendation MG 👍

The nearest equivalent that comes to mind is RRK’s ‘Slightly Latin’. Both left field albums with MOR touches from about the same late 60s vintage with the vocal backing. Both are great (IMO anyway).

Dusty Groove did a nice job with the ‘Musart’ reissue.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

Glad you like it.

Is it now on CD?

MG

3 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Glad you like it.

Is it now on CD?

MG

2013 reissue on Real Gone Music, under license from Concord. It's the same label as reissued as Lytle's  The Soulful Rebel/ People & Love. I enjoyed that one a lot so went looking to see what else RGM had reissued. Musart had your recommendation on some thread IIRC when I went searching.

Edited by Clunky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

With the Laughing Soul I got it...your comments on Muzart about needing a decade..I think you are rushing it 😊

I remember picking up the late 90s early 2000s Braith material (including the John Patton late dates 😄) and the voices stuff....and then the Blue Notes and Prestige numbers made sense... except Muzart...that is linked to his late stuff...don't get it but I understand people do