George Braith

braith_geor_laughings_101b.jpg

dusty groove has it

i need it

anyone pick up?

:cool:

As I've already mentioned, I think it is superior to any of Braith's BN cds.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in a big way on this one conn., as I think Braith's 3 Blue Note albums are near masterpieces all....

I do dig "Laughing Soul", but it's a more commercial outing. Not a huge fan of the mix or Big John's organ sound on this one, but it's typical of Prestige for this time period. FYI, Grassella Olliphant's "Grass Is Greener" LP was cut on the same day by Green and Patton on both sessions....

I've had a burn for a while, finally went legit @ 12.99.

I dig it a lot. It's kinda nutty, funny, all in a hip way. Much of it has an I Dream Of Jeanie vibe. Makes me wish that Braith had written sitcom themes. Life for TV viewers would have been infinitely better.

can anyone confirm if this is a new remaster or a re-issue of the previous Japanese cd from a few years ago.

It is not a great recorded sound I guess, so any new remaster might add to the quality perhaps.

This is my favourite Braith even though the Blue Notes are classic organ quartets, this one is kinda unique, although I have never heard the Museart session.

But I love all the Braith I've heard.

My sentiments entirely !

As you say, a really good vibe on all of George's albums (at least the ones I have heard).

The 'Musart' is an interesting one. Covers everything from MOR vocals to afro-groove to neo-Trane free form.

Yes - I had it for a couple of decades before I got it. But when I did... I think it's the loveliest of his albums.

MG

Just in case you missed it, George is on John Patton's "Blue John". That's a real groove, and is my favorite album with Braith, though I love his own BNs. On the opening track, someone is yelling in the background to egg them on, and the vibe is fantastic. (I wonder whose voice that is - maybe Tommy Turrentine, who does not play trumpet on the track.) The sound is good on the TOCJ of that album.

Just in case you missed it, George is on John Patton's "Blue John". That's a real groove, and is my favorite album with Braith, though I love his own BNs. On the opening track, someone is yelling in the background to egg them on, and the vibe is fantastic. (I wonder whose voice that is - maybe Tommy Turrentine, who does not play trumpet on the track.) The sound is good on the TOCJ of that album.

Hm, I didn't know there had been a TOCJ of that one. Must see if I can still get it. I've only got the LP.

MG

Hm, I didn't know there had been a TOCJ of that one. Must see if I can still get it. I've only got the LP.

MG

I've never much got into 'Blue John'. I have it on the 'domestic' CD with that weird, home-made looking cover art. Must give it another spin for reconsideration.

MG, the LP is probably better than the TOCJ. The thing about the TOCJs is that they are taken from the LP masters. As this LP wasn't released in the 60s, I imagine that Ron McMaster did the LP, and is in the chain leading to the TOCJ CD. But the TOCJ CD craps all over the U.S. CD from a dizzy height. No idea why.

I have just bought what may have been the new lp with John patton I referred to earlier last month. Nice set from a few years ago with George Braith. By the way referring to Laughing Soul ...I have it and love it so if you can get it (especially taking advantage here ion the UK of the lovely exchange rate its yours for less than a tenner.....who would have thought that years ago a Japanese import cd coming from the US for less than a tenner...! ;)

I have just bought what may have been the new lp with John patton I referred to earlier last month. Nice set from a few years ago with George Braith. By the way referring to Laughing Soul ...I have it and love it so if you can get it (especially taking advantage here ion the UK of the lovely exchange rate its yours for less than a tenner.....who would have thought that years ago a Japanese import cd coming from the US for less than a tenner...! ;)

Much less than a tenner Andy. I got 7 from Horoshi and they cost about £5.50 each, inc postage. Now THAT'S a proper price to pay for Japanese CDs!

MG

can anyone confirm if this is a new remaster or a re-issue of the previous Japanese cd from a few years ago.

It is not a great recorded sound I guess, so any new remaster might add to the quality perhaps.

This is my favourite Braith even though the Blue Notes are classic organ quartets, this one is kinda unique, although I have never heard the Museart session.

It's a k-2 edition. 20-bit.

It's a k-2 edition. 20-bit.

Thanks a lot!

Thought this was the case.

Do you think it might get RVGd

Would this fit on one CD along with Braith's other Prestige album Musart?

Not quite. "Laughing soul" is 36:35. "Musart", according to the timings of the tracks on the sleeve, which MAY not be accurate, is 43:56. When you add in time between tracks, it seems clear that the two would be between 30 - 50 seconds too long.

MG

• 4 weeks later...

Just been listening to Musart and its very very different from Laughing Soul by a long way. I really have taken to it and there was less voices than I feared

Is Museart recorded with Eddie Deihl and Big John on board as well.

Diehl is on, so is Dixon. But basically, it's a completely different type of band. And a completely differet type of music.

Jane Getz (p)

Jay Carter (g)

Diehl (g)

Bill Salter (b)

Vic Davis (b)

Cal Lampley plays unspecified instrument on one track

Dixon

Popito Allende (cga)

Freddie Briggs, Gilbert Braithwaite, Chico Torres (perc)

Angel Allende (bongo, tamb)

Female voc grp.

Not all these are on all tracks.

A lot of the music is quite "out". But beautiful.

MG