"Everybody Dance The Hank Tonk" bill doggett

the vinyl is thick, like old king vinyl, flat edge, inscription on side a reads-

KSD-12-531-A

and ditto, excpet B for side be, etc

little "R" mark, or so it looks like as well (a la the RVG stamp on blue notes)

on label

its 531

on cover its 395-531

IS THIS A REISSUE??? BECAUSE IT ONLY COST 3 BIG ONES AND IT IS MINT- THE COVER IS A+ AND THE VINYL IS, OH, A. AND I DONT HARDLY BELIEVE IT CAUSE EVERY KING RECORD IVE EVER SEEN, BE IT 45, LP, OR EVEN 78- IS COMPELETLY MANGLED. BUT THIS ONES REALLY CLEAN? COULD IT REALLY BE LEGIT??????

nononono no mobley- but i am ASTONISHED to see a KING record in this kind of condition-- isnt it true that unlike w/ blue note, whereas some collectors, or just astute jazz fans even back then, would buy em and take care of em and stuff- but with KING, these records were purchaed by the most urban of urban blacks and working class folk, etc-- and every other KING record i have it either stained with 50 yr. old BBQ sauce, blood or vomit, or completely scratched to complete pieces (but they still play great!)

Seems to be an original. You're right about King records having been subjected to serious partying. And they still play great!

You get the same thing with the UK Esquire editions of Prestige Soul Jazz releases in the early '60s. Here's what my copy of one looks like. The record matches the sleeve - but sounds great!

badbossanovasleevev7md0.jpg

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg