HELP ON A JOHN LEWIS ALBUM, PLEASE

jazzman4133

I just got a John Lewis album via a blog download. Its called "Afternoon In Paris" but not to be confused with the album he made with Sacha Distel. This one has nine tracks. Here's the information I was able to obtain:

Here is the John Lewis solo piano album "Afternoon In Paris".

It was recorded at Studio des Champs-Elysees, Paris on November 29th 1979.

Engineered by J.-P. Pelissier. Produced by Alain Boucanus for Dreyfus Records.

I checked Drefus records listing and they have no listing for this album.

Does anyone have more information about this album. An album cover if you have the album would be appreciated.

Private Concert, a solo outing recently reissued in French Universal's "Anniversary Series" (or the other series, same beautiful digipack packaging) is stunning!

Also the album with Distel I like a lot, it has Barney Wilen! It was out on a Koch CD (OOP I guess) and is now out on Lonehill, if you don't bother about having stolen music...

I'm not the biggest Lewis expert, though, but these two I really like a lot!

I don't have much John Lewis, but the original Afternoon in Paris with Sacha Distel is a gorgeous album and the Koch edition is well remastered (HDDC). I'd recommend that one any minute. I like hardbop albums with guitar.

And another very good album I've been trying to get my hands on for some time is Grand Encounter, a laidback east-west session on Pacific Jazz with players from both coasts (with Bill Perkins, Chico Hamilton and Jim Hall, so ... more guitar) recorded at the height of West Coast jazz. It's been reissued recently at half price (1500 ¥) on Toshiba as a jewel case (last release was an expensive mini LP from around '02), so I figure I'll pick it up on my next Japan order and close that gap.

And like Afternoon in Paris it also exists as a Spanish Lone Hill or Gambit reissue but I'd always go for the original (tapes remastered release).

The John Lewis expert here is mikeweil. I'm sure he will chime in with his recommendations!

Two essential albums by John Lewis are the 'Evolution' albums he recorded for Atlantic in 1999.

B00000JQZ4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000056C5X.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Absolutely! Both of these, like Randy Weston's In the Cool of the Evening are always close to my cd player.

They are some of my favorite albums to listen to in the morning.

Probably related in time to Grand Encounter is another one called 2 degrees East, 3 degrees West on Pacific Jazz with Percy Heath, Chico Hamilton, Bill Perkins and Jim Hall. It's one of my favorites.

I have been curious about some John Lewis classical recordings. I think there are three or maybe four volumes of solo Bach piano music. I started a thread here a while back and go zero responses. So, no one has heard these?

So I'm the expert? Rather an adoring fan!

I'd recommend any of the albums mentioned before, but I'm far from having all he ever did. The one that started the topic, e.g., is missing in my collection. But most of my favourites have been mentioned.

Lewis was very special.

Probably related in time to Grand Encounter is another one called 2 degrees East, 3 degrees West on Pacific Jazz with Percy Heath, Chico Hamilton, Bill Perkins and Jim Hall. It's one of my favorites.

Isn't that just a different title of the same album?

The Atlantic "The Wonderful World of Jazz" is great - some quartet cuts with Jim Hall, some larger ensembles, featuring among others Eric Dolphy and Benny Golson!

B000002JMD.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Of the Evolutions I only have II so far, but that's another very good one! Will have to get the first one, too.

The "Modern Jazz Society Presents" album (on CD in the long-gone Verve Elite Edition, with bonus material) is another terrific project masterminded by Lewis, featuring Lucky Thompson, Stan Getz and Tony Scott, among others.

Modern.jpg

I also am a big fan of John Lewis. Here are some other CDs (not previously mentioned) I have by him that I would readily recommend.

Improvised Meditations & Excursions - Atlantic

Slavic Smile - Baystate

Mirjana - Black & Blue

The John Lewis Piano - Collectables

Midnight In Paris - EmArcy

The Garden Of Delight: Delaunay's Dilemma - EmArcy

Kansas City breaks - Finesse

Sensitive Scenery - Jazz Heritage

Not sure which of these are still available?

I also am a big fan of John Lewis. Here are some other CDs (not previously mentioned) I have by him that I would readily recommend.

Improvised Meditations & Excursions - Atlantic

Slavic Smile - Baystate

Mirjana - Black & Blue

The John Lewis Piano - Collectables

Midnight In Paris - EmArcy

The Garden Of Delight: Delaunay's Dilemma - EmArcy

Kansas City breaks - Finesse

Sensitive Scenery - Jazz Heritage

Not sure which of these are still available?

Thank you one and all. That was indeed the cover and I thank you for posting that. I know that this list has a lot on it that was already posted but a few that were not.

My John Lewis Albums

JOHN LEWIS & SACHA DISTEL: AFTEROON IN PARIS

JOHN LEWIS TRIO AT TANGLEWOOD

JOHN LEWIS: ESSENCE

JOHN LEWIS: EUROPEAN WINDOWS

JOHN LEWIS: EVOLUTION

JOHN LEWIS: GRAND ENCOUNTER

JOHN LEWIS: IMPROVISED MEDITATIONS & EXCURSIONS

JOHN LEWIS: MIRJANA

JOHN LEWIS: P.O.V.

JOHN LEWIS: PRIVATE CONCERT

JOHN LEWIS: SENSITIVE SCENERY