Cannonball Adderley

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mercury material! A huge chunk of it is reissued in a two cd set called "Sophisticated Swing." Also, the Savoy material is fantastic, and most is reissued in a two cd set called "The Adderley Brothers: Summer of 1955"---I guess basically all of Adderley is worth hearing. I still haven't heard all the final Capitols, but want to.

The Mercury material! A huge chunk of it is reissued in a two cd set called "Sophisticated Swing." Also, the Savoy material is fantastic, and most is reissued in a two cd set called "The Adderley Brothers: Summer of 1955"---I guess basically all of Adderley is worth hearing. I still haven't heard all the final Capitols, but want to.

Absolutely! The Savoy and the Mercury stuff is great!

Both are available as 2CD sets (but as Lon said, the "Summer of 55" set misses some tracks - thanks to Keepnews...)

A nice addition to the Mercury is the recent Shearing/Adderley-Newport 57 disc (Pablo/Fantasy). It contains the two quintet's respective sets, and the A-Brothers join the Shearing band for an extended blow on a nice Curtis Fuller tune.

ubu

Milt Jackson's "Plenty, Plenty Soul" is also one to have. "Here Comes Louis Smith" is still another fine recording with Cannonball.

Yeah, these are two good ones!

And of course all the stuff with Miles/Trane (get that box if you don't have it...)

(Not just what's on KoB and Milestones)

ubu

Selected works, 1955 - 1964

Kenny Clarke- Bohemia After Dark Savoy

Cannonball Adderley- The Adderleys (Cannonball & Nat) Savoy

Cannonball Adderley- Julian "Cannonball" Adderley Emarcy

Sarah Vaughan- In The Land Of Hi Fi Emarcy

Cannonball Adderley- Presenting Cannonball Savoy

Nat Adderley- Introducing Nat Adderley Verve (Emarcy)

Cannonball Adderley- Cannonball Adderley And Strings / Jump For Joy Emarcy

Dinah Washington- In The Land Of Hi Fi Emarcy

Cannonball Adderley- Julian "Cannonball" Adderley In The Land Of Hi Fi Emarcy

Cannonball Adderley- Sophisticated Swing: The Emarcy Small Group Sessions Emarcy

Louis Smith- Here Comes Louis Smith Blue Note

Cannonball Adderley / Miles Davis- Somethin' Else Blue Note

Miles Davis- Milestones Columbia

Gil Evans- New Bottle, Old Wine World Pacific

Miles Davis- Four Play JMY

Cannonball Adderley- Portrait of Cannonball Riverside

Miles Davis- Miles At Newport Columbia

Cannonball Adderley- Alabama Concierto Riverside

Miles Davis- Allstars Live In 1958,59 Featuring John Coltrane Jazz Band

Miles Davis- Jazz At The Plaza,Vol. 1 Columbia

Jon Hendricks- A Good Git Together World Pacific

Cannonball Adderley- Things Are Getting Better Riverside

Kenny Dorham- Blue Spring Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- Quintet in Chicago Verve (Emarcy)

Paul Chambers- GO Blue Moon (Vee Jay)

Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue Columbia

Cannonball Adderley- Cannonball Takes Charge Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- Quintet In San Francisco Riverside

Jimmy Heath- Really Big Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- Them Dirty Blues Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- Cannonball Adderley and the Pollwinners Riverside

Nat Adderley- That's Right! Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- Quintet At The Lighthouse Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- What Is This Thing Called Soul Pablo

Cannonball Adderley- Know What I Mean? Riverside

Cannonball Adderley- Quintet Plus Riverside

Nancy Wilson / Cannonball Adderley- Nancy Wilson & Cannonball Adderley Capitol

Cannonball Adderley- Cannonball's Bossa Nova Riverside

Cannonball Adderley / Eddie Vinson- Cleanhead & Cannonball Landmark

Cannonball Adderley- Fiddler On The Roof Capitol

I love him, but I only have his Riverside/Capitol stuff. What else do I need to check out?

Which Riverside/Capitol stuff? All of it? Or do you mean the 7 titles that were transferred from Riverside to Capitol when Cannonball switched?

So much good stuff. I am partial to Them Dirty Blues, and the group with Yusef Lateef. Nippon Soul is just a great record.

I have always found it hard to track down the Capitol recordings, and I'm speaking of the LP days as well as now. (Not referring to the Riverside recordings that were taken to Capitol.)

One very nice one that I did get (on LP) is "Domination", which has some delightful arrangements by Oliver Nelson. It isn't a hard-core hard bop album, but it sure sounds great.

:tup Capital re-issued FIDDLER ON THE ROOF this year. If you haven't, pick it up. Features Charles Lloyd and has 3 previously unissued tracks.

Based on the recommendation of my friend Cali, I got Fiddler on the Roof and it is indeed a sweeeet session!

A total eye-opener. Even friends of avant-garde might find something to sink their teeth into.

I posted this on AAJ earlier, but thought it might be of interest here since this is a dedicated Cannon thread.

In a interview at the Plaza Hotel, NYC, November 14, 1969, I mentioned to Cannonball Adderley:

Miles told me that he doesn’t like the term, “Jazz”—he thinks it’s derogatory.

Cannon replied:

• Well, he must have been upset that day. I do think that, under certain circumstances, that term is limiting to certain music and, in other instances, it is not altogether accurate. For instance, you have been a jazz enthusiast, a collector, and a research person for many years. Well, you have a concept of what jazz is. Similarly, I have been a jazz musician for many years, and I have a concept of what jazz is—we can all stretch a point, it’s hard for me to take the Ebony Concerto as jazz, even though it was performed by Woody Herman, and at the same time, some of the records that have been released, I think, are masquerading as jazz. So, you take a jazz artist and give him a rock tune and let him make his so-called “jazz version” of the rock tune, and that’s jazz. Like years ago we came up with This Here, it’s Bobby Timmons’ tune, we played it as jazz in every respect, we have never covered any rock tunes. Every tune we have recorded that became popular started out the same as every other tune does: somebody brings in a tune and, if the band likes it, we play it, we’ve had a lot of material from guys in the band that we ddon’t play, some things that are obvious attempts to make money. Nevertheless, I do resent the concept of somebody saying if you play a tune and it becomes popular—whether it’s Worksong or This Here or Sack O’Woe, or whatever—that you have compromised in some way, because that way my compromise would be to play something far out…it’s like trying to get justification for what you do, and all we’ve ever done is play what we’ve enjoyed. We’ve had a helluva lot more misses than we’ve had connections, you know. There was a story about black music in Ebony magazine, which was…made mention of musicians, but not the music—really. Whoever the writer was, he said “The Cannonball Adderley Quintet is a great group, though they play a lot of popular songs.” I said, I wonder which song he’s talking about, Worksong or This Here, because, if it’s popular, it’s because we made it popular—see what I mean?

Let's hope our own favorite Blue Note records will bring out "Cannonball in Europe!" soon! That's a hell of a record. The Lateef band, with him having a feature (Trouble in Mind) only accompanied by Zawinul/Jones/Hayes. That's baad!

(that's the last of the seven recordings Cannon took from Riverside to Capitol, the only one not on BN-CD yet)

b3-er: I didn't realize you meant those Riverside/Capitol masters only!

Get all the Riverside stuff by Cannonball. In San Francisco would make a good start. Includes This Here (Timmons is on piano), then go on to the recordings by the sextet with Lateef, such as Nippon Soul (another one of my faves).

Jim Dye (or anyone): that CD (the cover of which you posted), does that contain the rest of the Nippon Soul/Japanese Concerts stuff? Or is there still some music not on CD yet?

And anyone has heard the recent Verve LPR of Cannonball?

ubu