Cannonball Adderley

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, I like his playing better once he became a successful bandleader with an identifiable book. Starting on Riverside and going forward. His playing on those Emarcy sides seems a little bit unfocused to me. Once he got that first successful band together, there was just so much more "personality" to his entire presentation, including his own playing.

Anybody read "Education of a Bandleader", his essay for Jazz Review?

I like the looseness of Cannonball's playing on the Emarcy and Savoy records - a heavy Bird-inflected plate of down home blues delivered with a powerful wallop.  What came later may have been more fully realized in many ways, but I also really love what Cannonball played in his earlier years.  

2 hours ago, John L said:

I like the looseness of Cannonball's playing on the Emarcy and Savoy records - a heavy Bird-inflected plate of down home blues delivered with a powerful wallop.  What came later may have been more fully realized in many ways, but I also really love what Cannonball played in his earlier years.  

I'm with you John. The Savoy sides (also under Klook's and Nat's name) are f'ing great especially.

19 hours ago, John L said:

Well said !!