Ellington Big Band set possible in '08

I sent an email to Scott Wenzel at Mosaic suggesting a possibility for a Singles release (Bobby Hackett's wonderful "Creole Cookin'" on Verve) and added at the end of that message that I hoped we'd see an Ellington 30s big band set to go with the recent Small Groups box. He answered, "As for the Ellington, we're hoping to do the big band stuff in '08." When I asked his permission to post that news here, he wrote the following: "As long as you mention that NOTHING has been cleared yet by Sony/BMG. We have our projects already mapped out for '07 and will be sending in a track listing to be approved sometime later this year."

SO, can we hope for an Ellington big band box of the classic 30s Columbia-owned Brunswicks in '08? Looks like it's possible! Way cool! :D

SO, can we hope for an Ellington big band box of the classic 30s Columbia-owned Brunswicks in '08? Looks like it's possible! Way cool! :D

Great! I have been hoping for this for a long time! Trust the mastering will be as good as the Ellington Small Groups box!

I sent an email to Scott Wenzel at Mosaic suggesting a possibility for a Singles release (Bobby Hackett's wonderful "Creole Cookin'" on Verve) and added at the end of that message that I hoped we'd see an Ellington 30s big band set to go with the recent Small Groups box. He answered, "As for the Ellington, we're hoping to do the big band stuff in '08." When I asked his permission to post that news here, he wrote the following: "As long as you mention that NOTHING has been cleared yet by Sony/BMG. We have our projects already mapped out for '07 and will be sending in a track listing to be approved sometime later this year."

Wow, great news! I wonder how many CDs a set like that would have...

Wish they would be able to include the Universal-owned 1926-1931 Brunswick and Vocalion recordings! The 1994 Decca 3CD-set with that stuff doesn't sound too good to me (yes, I know the age of the recordings).

Edited by J.A.W.

How come some of those are owned by Universal anyway?

Brunswick was licensed to "Columbia" in the early days of the depression and when the lease expired, the name went to "Columbia" and Decca bought the original masters. If you want the details, pm me and give me time to go thru my papers.

ghost , did you pick up both Nat King Cole boxes yet? nothing to be ashamed of; i still have the first Bob Wills & borrowed the second... just wondering how yr holding up w/one or both. (i'd hope for that third most of all, if Bear decides to do it.)

edc

I still have only the first, Clem, but have some $$ on the way from a gig in April that should enable me to pick up L-O-V-E, or whatever the second set is called. Lots of great Nat I'd never heard before (& it's amazing how well much of the material turned out, considering how prolifically Capitol was recording him--six albums in 1958 alone). Yeah, a 1950-54 set would be great, because a lot of that music falls into a gap between the Mosaic and the existing Bears, and a lot has never come out on CD at all--some of it, I think jtaylor (board member involved with these sets) says hasn't even ever showed up on LP.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if the release of a Mosaic Ellington 30s set has been affected by this new Sony box.

I hope not but I fear the worst.

I have this but I would still buy a Mosaic complete edition in a heartbeat.

Ellington 30s 4 CD Set

Well the new release is hardly complete, so I would hope it won't affect Mosaic. In fact I hope that they'll consider it consider it a teaser.

I wonder if the release of a Mosaic Ellington 30s set has been affected by this new Sony box.

I hope not but I fear the worst.

I have this but I would still buy a Mosaic complete edition in a heartbeat.

Ellington 30s 4 CD Set

Does this Sony box include the duet Ellington and Blanton please ????

Thank you for your response.

No, but they are on the Mosaic small group box set.