Unreleased Jackie McLean 1968 Blue Note session

Kyo

30 years after the fact he says it was great and fun yet he's never heard it. Note he didn't say "They didn't put that out?"

I'd trust his judgement in the moment that it was recorded that it didn't really congeal the way he wanted it.  I'd also trust Chuck's recollection of conversations that took place a lot closer to the recording date than this one.

Edited by Dan Gould

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

30 years after the fact he says it was great and fun yet he's never heard it. Note he didn't say "They didn't put that out?"

I'd trust his judgement in the moment that it was recorded that it didn't really congeal the way he wanted it.  I'd also trust Chuck's recollection of conversations that took place a lot closer to the recording date than this one.

Don't disagree with any of that, but I'd still pay to hear it. 

Train Wreck is better than we've been led to believe. but this other one, the Jackie session....the big "hmmmm…." factor for me there is Norman Connors...probably waaaaay over his head at that time and in that company. I would like to hear it, but would I pay for it as a standalone session?

hmmmm…

They could finally put McLean s excellent 'High Frequency' session on a standalone CD and add the '68 session as bonus cuts.

And I wish there was a way for the rest of us to hear the Tyrone Train Wreck session!

Edited by felser

Fascinating.

I read the article in which Jackie said Connors ruined the date. And now he says he never heard it.

And Cuscuna said Wayne said that his session was a disaster and blamed Duke Pearson. Yet, when I was trying to find out what the pieces on the session were for Michelle Mercer's book, Wayne told her that he had never heard it either.

Interesting parallel.

Just now, robertoart said:

Howlin' Wolf – The Howlin' Wolf Album (2009, Digipak, CD) - Discogs

Not a fan of Cosey et al with the Wolf, but yes that is an example of the kind of promotion I was talking about.  It feeds into a certain strain of American paranoid boneheaded resentment of experts that's ultimately rooted in something real but which can easily go seriously astray even before it gets going.

23 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Not a fan of Cosey et al with the Wolf, but yes that is an example of the kind of promotion I was talking about.  It feeds into a certain strain of American paranoid boneheaded resentment of experts that's ultimately rooted in something real but which can easily go seriously astray even before it gets going.

I actually like that one and the two similar ones by Muddy Waters, but I realize I am well in the minority, and have always been a sucker for 60s "psychedelic" stuff.

4 hours ago, felser said:

I actually like that one and the two similar ones by Muddy Waters, but I realize I am well in the minority, and have always been a sucker for 60s "psychedelic" stuff.

My problem with those is not that the guys can't play, obviously they can and I like Cosey with Miles, but that they don't gel with Muddy or Wolf - it's totally oil and water IMHO, YMMV.  Might help if I didn't think of them as Muddy or Wolf albums but as albums by the young guys with Muddy and Wolf guesting.

Edited by danasgoodstuff
typo

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

My problem with those is not that the guys can't plat, obviously they can and I like Cosey with Miles, but that they don't gel with Muddy or Wolf - it's totally oil and water IMHO, YMMV.  Might help if I didn't think of them as Muddy or Wolf albums but as albums by the young guys with Muddy and Wolf guesting.

Yeah, totally agree, they aren't Muddy and Wolf albums, they're Pete Cosey albums with guest vocals by Muddy and Wolf.  They don't hang together at all, but I find the clashing fascinating.

1 minute ago, felser said:

Yeah, totally agree, they aren't Muddy and Wolf albums, they're Pete Cosey albums with guest vocals by Muddy and Wolf.  They don't hang together at all, but I find the clashing fascinating.

To get back to the subject at hand, it's hard to say whether anyone will find whatever 'problems'' there may be with this Jackie McLean date to be that kind of fascinating or not.