Miles - complete Jack Johnson

Gary

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pre-ordered from CD Universe. Glad to hear that they are a reliable and fast vendor.

Shipping is the same $6.99 for 2-3 day shipping as it is for 3-7 day shipping. Guess which one I selected?? B)

I don't usually care for multiple takes either, but I'm figuring that this is so "jam" happy that the different takes will each be quite different from each other. If not, I'll just put the player on "random" and see what happens.

Can't wait ...

Just got the box a couple hours ago, and I've only had the chance to listen to about 40 minutes worth of the material.

I started with disc #3, of course, for all the different takes of "Right Off". As someone who simply LOVES side one of the original Jack Johnson album, it was and is really wonderful to hear more material from this session and this particular tune.

And even listening just one time through, I can start see how Teo made the choices he made, about what material to include (and what not include) in the original "Jack Johnson" album. But it's still cool to hear what wasn't included.

After all the "Right Off" material, I'm now on to disc #5, for some totally unreleased tunes ("The Mask", parts 1 & 2).

Edit: PS: I was able to get the "Jack Johnson" box at Borders with the 40% off coupon, so I got the whole thing for $45.15 (including sales tax), or $41.99 before tax. Yeah!!! :tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've got Jack Johnson box in the house as well.

Now Jack Johnson is actually probably my LEAST favorite of Miles' electric albums. Just too much like rock and roll for me to really go apeshit; I mean there's a Derek and the Dominoes jam that sounds almost like Right Off to me in shape and even in the riff used. I like it fine, but I always was more of a Miles at Fillmore/Live Miles/On the Corner/Get Up With it GUY! I instead have been dying to hear the expanded and unreleased material that was on Directions and Big Fun that are in this set.

And they don't disappoint. Like RT I haven't heard much yet, but man the sound is excellent AND these are LOUD cds! The booklet is perty darned good and I'm going to be enjoying these sessions this week!

I've made it through disc one so far, and I'm surprised at how interesting the many Willie Nelsons are. Track 5 has some excellent Zappa-esque playing by McLaughlin. What I find most interesting about this and the Silent Way box though is how they illuminate just how brilliant the work by Macero was. To make those classic records from the material presented in these boxes (I admit though that I don't know what the Yesternow and Right Off takes amount to yet) took some superb work on his part.

Anyone have any idea why this box reverts to the Bitches Brew, Gil Evans and 60s quintet packaging? The In a Silent Way and the Coltrane boxes seem to be unique in their presentation

Anyone have any idea why this box reverts to the Bitches Brew, Gil Evans and 60s quintet packaging? The In a Silent Way and the Coltrane boxes seem to be unique in their presentation

How so?? (I mean "what do you mean?".)

They all seem similar (in some ways), and unique in other ways.

I think GregK may be referring to the metal binding? I haven't seen the new box yet. Is the spine made of metal?

I think GregK may be referring to the metal binding? I haven't seen the new box yet. Is the spine made of metal?

Just arrived on my desk minutes ago.

The packaging is the same "metal-binding" style as "BB", "Miles & Coltrane", etc.

Just arrived on my desk minutes ago.

The packaging is the same "metal-binding" style as "BB", "Miles & Coltrane", etc.

Sorry folks, what I meant was that the Coltrane box had a metal casing, the Silent Way box had the cardboard or whatever that stuff is spine, and now the JJ box reverts back to the packaging of the first 3, with the carboard-y case and metal spine. I'm not complaining, I love the packaging of these boxes as much as the music, but I was just curious. Why aren't the consistent?

Has anyone here ever seen the film? How was the music used in it? It must have been edited. Did Miles have the film in mind when he did the recording? Obviously Macero had it mind when he created Yesternow. And why isn't there a reproduction of the original Lp cover in the box set? (It's barely visible on the back of the cd issue). I always liked it.

How long do you guess it will be until the single disc (or double-disc) issue of this comes out? While I think I would like the box set, I've decided to go the album reissue route on this one. If it's a single disc, do you suppose any extras will be added, or just the original two tunes? Curious.

How long do you guess it will be until the single disc (or double-disc) issue of this comes out? While I think I would like the box set, I've decided to go the album reissue route on this one. If it's a single disc, do you suppose any extras will be added, or just the original two tunes? Curious.

In a Silent Way was reissued without anything extra, so I'm expecting JJ to also come without any extras.

does anyone know anything about a 12" being put out of "sugar ray" b/w "little high people?" i have seen scans on someone's web site of the record label (one of those great photos of miles in the ring at the gym). any place to order this online? local vinyl shop has no idea of it's existence. i think i heard that it's clear vinyl, too ...

The Jazz Review review (?) is amusing. They've excelled themselves this time pushing their 'grumpy-uncles' editorial policy to new highs. The review is given over to someone who admits to not caring for Miles from Silent Way onwards.

It's a lengthy, honest review with enthusiasm for parts, dismissal of much else. In the end it recommends the sets to completists, scholars and those with long pockets!