in the wall speakers

jazzhound

I've taken on the task of getting my sister a pair of speakers to go with her Arcam Solo cd- integrated amp.

Now she is considering putting the speakers in the wall above her mantle instead of buying some nice bookself speakers (Epos) to place on the same. I know nothing about the merits or downside of in the wall transducers so if anyone has any experience with these please share.

Edited by jazzhound

Obviously in wall speakers disappear into the room, making it easier to decorate.

However, installation is not as easy as bookshelf speakers where anyone can run wires outside of the wall. Value per $, is not as easily obtainable if you take this into account.

She could look into even smaller monitors. Totem Mites or Dreamcatchers are extremely small though more expensive than EPOs and she might like their furniture like finish. They also sound nice!!!!

Just my $.02.

Obviously in wall speakers disappear into the room, making it easier to decorate.

However, installation is not as easy as bookshelf speakers where anyone can run wires outside of the wall. Value per $, is not as easily obtainable if you take this into account.

She could look into even smaller monitors. Totem Mites or Dreamcatchers are extremely small though more expensive than EPOs and she might like their furniture like finish. They also sound nice!!!!

Just my $.02.

I agree. In wall speakers are specialty items that require a fair amount of work to install and don't offer the same sound per dollar value as comparably priced stand alone speakers. That said, you can look here for a company that specializes in these kinds of speakers. I just looked at the sight and did not recognize any of the products but I do see that they still sell in wall speakers. By all means, check it out.